reel maintenance - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 09-12-2010, 11:10 AM
Striper Hunter

Default reel maintenance

Hello guys, Can someone point me in the right direction as to where I can find information what type of proper reel maintenance should be done to a reel after surf fishing. What should be oiled or greased, what type of oil or grease. Having trouble finding any info on this subject.

Thanks again, keep on fishing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2010, 02:37 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: reel maintenance

A rinse with fresh water should always be done after a session of surf fishing. What I can tell you is the most overlooked area of a surf fishing reel is the roller bearing, I clean an grease this atleast every 3rd surf fishing excursion. Most reels will survive the abuse that surf fishing puts on them especially if the reel is gasketed and has a sealed drag after a simple fresh water rinse. The Roller bearing is exposed to the corrosive nature of salt water all the time and needs the most attention.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

Fish Whisperer
Old 09-13-2010, 02:27 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

What type of reel? What happens to the reel on an outing? Dunked, sprayed, no water contact?

Generally metal to metal contact- grease
teflon to teflon - oil or grease
Bearings -oil

Old 09-15-2010, 11:16 AM
Striper Hunter

I do the roller also every third or forth time or if the reel gets soak'ed. I rinse it with fresh water every time I 'm done fishing dry it and then spray it with W.D. 40 and wipe off the excess . I also give my plugs ,lures what ever I fished that day the same treatment . Outside of tooth marks and normal ware and tare my lures hooks and hardware look great and somm are 10 or 12 years old !