Best time to fish for Striper? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 11-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Best time to fish for Striper?

Day or night? Or does it all depend on the tides? I'm headed to Virginia Beach and fishing off a jetty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Best time to fish for Striper?

At this time of year it almost doesn't matter. Night is always a safe bet but daytime can be great as well this time of year. Find the bait and/or the birds working the water. Although maybe someone from Virginia can offer some more specific info
Old 12-02-2009, 10:13 AM
Striper Hunter

Well I tried just after sunset fora couple hours and no luck yesterday. :(

I just cast and retrieved a fake eel on a hook.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2009, 10:45 AM
Official Member

i have fish VA beach for a long time on the shore. i would try mirror lures at night at any bridge if you can get to Lynnhaven try the lessener bridge on the north side there is a sand bar that goes about 150 yards that you can wade out on. I would find it during the day though.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

You will catch bass in the daytime but your best bet at a nice fish is always at night! I am convinced that they are ferocious feeders at night,they hit harder than in the daytime. You also need to know what kind of BAIT is running so you can match the hatch. In NY they're on sandeels and Everybody''s casting slim tins with tubes and teasers. You can never go wrong with eels at night although i prefer the live ones. Tight Lines!
Old 12-03-2009, 01:33 AM
Striper Hunter

I would wade out but I can't afford any wading pants or stuff. :/ I'll Lynnhaven though next time probably next week Tuesday.
Old 12-04-2009, 07:05 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

sometimes you can't find bait or birds.
that doesn't mean fish are not present.
sometimes all you can do is fish in unproductive spots with a wing and a prayer.
that doesn't mean a fish won't present itself.
however, someday you will have to learn how to find where fish will be.
these areas "inlets/jetties/bridge structures yada yada yada,
in the fall migration, there are specific areas up and down the coast that retain bait. "in your case (croaker - spot /bunker/weakfish/blackfish/and in some cases crab. ) these areas are well known to fishermen and keep it quiet so it is futile to ask for them. there are a few good books out there but if your not likely to invest in waders i can't see the logic in any advanced form of education.(don't take that as an insult) Some of the places fish are in are only accessed using waders. there are applications to catch fish in the event of bait presenting itself close to shore and if you can identify what it is they are feeding on but, it's a bitch to see fish busting just out of casting range and no way to get on them. at ALBRIGHT.COM there is a pair of Bridgestone waders on sale for 39.99. this deal is good till the end of the month. if you order by days end tomorrow you won't have to pay shipping either. imo, this is the only chance you will have to get a deal like that anywhere. have Santa put a pair under the tree. "make sure they are bootfoot". i really don't wanna be a killjoy and or insult anyone with what i am saying but,,, it is a hard ride in the fall to get into fish let alone having a handicap like not donning waders. all the roads to learning begin with basic skills and basic gear. all the thousands of dollars in gear spent will be futile as, "if you cannot catch a fish with mediocre priced gear > what makes one think the expensive chit will make a difference". make due with what you can afford and take some good advice from uncle zim. if you have questions about areas and it's proximity to open water and or inlets and surrounding waters it will be wize to ask that to baitshops or fishermen you can find on the beach or jetty or bridge. nobody will look down on you for wanting to learn.

Old 01-17-2010, 12:29 PM
First Mate

Well night time is an awesome time to fish. but for me personally the best time to fish is anytime i see a blitz erupt close enough for me to cast!!!! lol
Old 01-20-2010, 05:20 PM
LunkHead

Best time to be fishing is when you're supposed to be at work......after that, it's nighttime, then daytime.

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 PM
First Mate

I find early morning or right before sun down like hour and a half before sun down.

But If you go at high tide it doesn't really matter.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:34 PM
Striper Hunter

This is my first post and may not be in the right section but the topic fits. Does anyone feel the memorial day weekend(end of may) is too early for stripers off of LBI New Jersey? I'll be vacationing there over the week and was wondering if i should bother to bring my stuff along. Also what would they be hitting, i'm completely new to this sort of fishing. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrbyrd87
Does anyone feel the memorial day weekend(end of may) is too early for stripers off of LBI New Jersey?
End of may the stripers will be in full swing in NJ. For bait its bunker and clams eels at night.
Plugs - bring the tackle bag - swimmers and surfsters, pencils and poppers
Tins and bucktails.
- just about everything.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Striper Hunter

Thank you for the speedy info. Also, am i correct in understanding that there isn't a license required in NJ for saltwater fishing, other than crabbing and such and the bonus striper permit.
Old 01-27-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phyrbyrd66
am i correct in understanding that there isn't a license required in NJ for saltwater fishing, other than crabbing and such and the bonus striper permit.
NO!
You have to register with MRIP if you want to fish New Jersey this year for migratory species.
http://www.countmyfish.noaa.gov/

Registration is FREE in 2010. Anglers can register through the website or by calling (888) MRIP-411. Operators are available 7 days a week from 4:00 am to 12:00 midnight (EST).
Old 01-29-2010, 05:56 PM
Striper Hunter

Yep, that's already happened. So bunker for bait. Any ideas on where to purchase some of these critters, most of the bait shops i've googled don't really seem to hold weekday hours before memorial day. Also what should i expect to pay for them and should they be cut(and in which way) or whole. I really have no idea what i'm doing and don't want to be flying completely blind here.