need some ideas for rods and reels - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 PM

Question need some ideas for rods and reels

i am planning on getting my dad a trolling rod and reel for christmas and was looking for some ideas on what are the best medium priced products for trolling? also, what kind of line i should get? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2009, 11:27 AM
First Mate

Default Re: need some ideas for rods and reels

What do you consider "medium priced" for the set up, a rough $ amount would be easier. Would this set up be spin or conventional. I will let you know that your question is a hard one to answer without some more input
Old 11-24-2009, 11:35 AM

Depends on what type of trolling you are doing. If your trolling deep, you normally use wire and the guides on the rod are different than if you were using braid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2009, 11:29 AM
Official Member

go to the b&t you are a customer of & talk to them ; they will give you ideas on what type of equipment you need -

im new to this site & do not know who are all the sponsors of this site are ,but check out a rod builder & call them up they can build you a rod that'll last forever & give some personal touches such as a name ,decals etc that'll make your gift more personal IMO
Old 11-28-2009, 02:36 AM
First Mate

Everything revolves around the money you want to or can spend. Jigsaw had some nice ideas if they fall withing your budget.

Last year or the year before I got my father in-law a Cabelas Depth Master Gold. It's not a real expensive reel but it works and he likes it. For trolling it is nice as he does not have to judge the amount of line let out, as you may know that makes a big difference for lure depth if not using down riggers. There are also other nicer line counting reels on the market.
As another idea Cabelas also sells a couple Precision Trolling guide "The Troller's Bible" books that helps you determine the depth of certain lures according to line out, line diameter, and speed. My father in-law likes his. They also have down rigger fishing technique book and others. Just trying to give you some ideas. Links to the Troller's bible books below.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...673&hasJS=true

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...673&hasJS=true