Can someone explain a uni knot? - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 10-31-2009, 10:40 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Can someone explain a uni knot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigaf View Post
Suffix 50 lb. braid to Seaguar 28lb. Fluoro
Nothing wrong with either of those lines. My suspicion is that the knot would work better where there is a bigger diameter difference between the braid and the leader. 50# Suffix is .014 inches in diameter. The flouro is about .018 inches.

30# braid is about .011 inches thick, and 40# Zo-zuri hybrid is .024 inches think. The knot works by compressing the reducing the diameter of the leader. The thicker the leader material, the higher the effects of compressing on it.

I have some 30# flouro. I'll try that with 30# fireline. Will also try the 30# flouro with some 50# and some 65# braid, and report back.
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 12:56 AM
Striper Hunter

OK ! interesting thoughts, I'll play around with heavy mono tomorrow and see what I come up with also. I tried pulling the slim beauty through the guides and it caught the last one. Craig
Old 11-01-2009, 03:10 AM
First Mate

I'm not sure if I had posted it in this thread but when using this knot if it slides then try it with 15 "cross overs" sometimes with thinner line you need to do this. When I tired first time the knot failed on me, I realized where I went wrong(also caught my mistake when tieing again) then retied, knot held awesome. I will find some info out the on the web, it may take me abit of search on whay you may be doing. Believe it or not it even works on braid to wire. Jim may have posted the FG knot, it's the same thing in therory but very slightly different. If it's ok with Striperjim you can PM me and I will direct you to a another site that explains in to a little more detail what you may be doing. It has some postings from the author who posted the first video I saw. As I may have said this knot comes from the FG and the Japanese guys use it on the thinner braid as they are mainly bass fisherman. So if you also check the FG video which I think the guy gies abit overboard with tieing it but maybe not.

With tieing it the only time I really had a problem(when I did not catch my mistake) was when I would be sliding the top part of the knot down towards the bottom. I could get it to slip, with a several more crossovers and maybe a few more overhands I cured this. When sliding the knot together I would also pull at(tighten) my overhands a little. I will try this on some 40# braid and 40# and 50" fluoro along with 30"# mono. I have about 5 or 6 differnt fluoros and a few Monos along with 20 & 30# Fireline along with 30#, 40# and maybe 50# braid. I will also see if I can get a board & cable(firewir/i.Link)for my PC to make ans download some videos of what I find
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2009, 03:27 AM
First Mate

I also want to say, the reason why I first started trying this knot. I was spooling my Old Abu 6600C with 30# PP and 30# Mono backing. I had tried about 4 other highly suggested knots for the link and they would hang up on the level wind guide in one direction or the other. I figured the slight chance I get (almost) spooled and down to my mono I would be screwed as they line would hang up. I then found the Sebile video (tried a few times on some scrap and also test strength) I was amazed and have been useing it on my braid/mono connections. The knot just flew right through the tiny wire level wind guide in both directions without abit of hesitation. The knot strength tests I did with a few different line combinations(also compared with other knots) just blew my mind
Old 11-01-2009, 01:04 PM

Not trying to overwhelm you with info right now but this was a simple knot I've used in the past that held up to the impact of casting as a shockleader. Its really a modified overhand granny knot. Of a sort.
Just double the overhand knot. (not shown in the picture)

I live about 35 miles north of the wacky worm if its the one im thinking of near route 80 in East Stroudsburgh.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:18 PM
Striper Hunter

The Wacky Worm I'm thinking about is on 209 in Gilbert just south of Brodheadsville. About 10 min. from my house. Helping a friend swing a trany today so can't play with fishin' til thats done! Craig
Old 11-02-2009, 11:19 AM

Back to the original question.

Name:  uniknotR12.jpg
Views: 1154
Size:  3.3 KB
The Uni Knot
Popular fishermans knot. Used for connecting hooks, swivels, rings and lures. Its main advantage is that it retains virtually 90% breaking strain. Easy to tie even in the the dark after some practice.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Striper Hunter

Thanks Jim, I definitely have to practice my knots!!!
You've been alot of help, as well as the rest of you, thank you all. Craig
Old 11-06-2009, 06:08 PM
LunkHead

I used to use many of the knots already mentioned, for my needs, I have settled on the uni knot for almost everything I do, you can snell hooks with it, join braid to leader (back-to-back uni), tie on terminal tackle, basically the only other knot I use now is a dropper loop for my teaser.
I'm a uni-addict.

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Old 11-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Striper Hunter

Well, I'll try it again over the weekend but I didn't have much luck with it. 50lb. braid to a 30lb. leader and one good tug and it was over. It appears the braid cut through the mono. I used the slim beauty on tues. on the rocks got a few stripers to 26" and one MOTHER!, I lost at the boat. I'm going back on Monday. Along with some other chores that need to be done I will practice knot tying......Craig
Old 11-07-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
and one MOTHER!, I lost at the boat
Craig, If your chunking bait from a boat, just use a swivel and a 4 foot leader.
Tie the braid to the swivel with a palomar and an improved cinch or a uni knot on the mono end.
No need for a shock leader.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:08 PM
Striper Hunter

Jim, no I'm not using bait. Just throwing diamond jigs and then switched to plastic eels. That's when I started hooking them. Craig
Old 11-11-2009, 01:18 PM
First Mate

I just tested the FG and Sebile Knot using 20# Fireline and 40# Yo-Zuri Fluoro. I used a 15 wrap Sebile and followed the Fg video with a few less wraps and overhands. With the FG I weaved like the Sebile as I could not weave like the dude on the video. I wraped the fluoro around a 30# dumbbell and with FG was just able to get it off the floor before knot breakage/broke as weight started to swing. That means 30# plus knot strenth on a 20#line which really tests out to almost 40#(according to Sudsy). The sebile broke at 28# using a scale one time and another was able to just get weight off floor. I know with a couple more tyings I could get better strength out of the FG. The Uni knot was breaking below 20#. Also when knot is tied right I got no slipage

I know the knot takes abit to tie and has more wraps than say a Uni or other but has massive knot strength and is very slim. I'll take the time to tie it.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Striper Hunter

Well I'll get back to practicing, I have some time now cause I don't think I'll be going out again for a week or so. My chores are just about caught up, maybe even start tonight!!! Craig
Old 01-28-2010, 01:38 AM
Official Member

The uni to uni knot is the only knot i use for snooks down here in Fl. I do most of my fishing at night in Sebastain Inlet ,Fl. my main line i use 15lb power pro leader #50lb ande . with this knot i can tie at night within one minute and be ready to fish again .Down here you loose alot of bucktails to the rocks with this knot the 15lb pp will cut the leader everytime when you pull steady on it ,so you dont lose alot of line.