Beginner on the Cape - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 10-01-2009, 10:03 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: Beginner on the Cape

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
The steel leader. Use 50 or 60 pound mono leader.
Try different tide stages.
Also try live eels at night near low water.
Learn how to bucktail the inlet. Read, Read and reread some more. Then fish, fish and fish some more.

What he said Good advise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 11:06 AM
Cow Catcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by striperjim View Post
The steel leader. Use 50 or 60 pound mono leader.
Try different tide stages.
Also try live eels at night near low water.
Learn how to bucktail the inlet. Read, Read and reread some more. Then fish, fish and fish some more.
Couldn't of said it any better. and on the eels
Old 10-01-2009, 05:45 PM
Official Member

i looked this up couldn't find it. What exactly does "bucktail the inlet" mean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 07:40 PM
First Mate

A bucktail is a lure. I'm new too, but it sounds like white bucktail are popular, sometimes rigged with white/red plastics or pork.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:25 AM

Click image for larger version

Name:	P9280537.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	11937
It takes experience to size it appropriatley according to the current and keep it in the strikezone.

Cast upcurrent and let it your bucktail sort of glide through the water off the bottom.
Recommended Reading

Old 10-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Official Member

Thanks. I'll try the bucktail lure. Once I get the proper rigging, I am going out tonight 1 hr beore HT. About 100 yards into the inlet, I'll cast towards the open ocean and let the lure skip along the bottom. How fast should I reel it in?
Old 10-08-2009, 01:48 PM
Official Member

The latest issue of On The Water has an article about fishing bucktails.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:19 AM
First Mate

It has been many years since I fished the Cape, I'm talking maybe 20 but I may be able to help. If you are able to fish the Hyannis-W. Yarmouth area then shoot me a PM. I new of some area that used to do OK and where hardly ever fished except by me. Times may have changed but with the fish and fishing pressure but it may be worth the shot. In your message please introduce yourself then fire away with questions.
As for bucktails they are also called jigs, many have dropped the jig part becase they are fish many ways
Old 10-12-2009, 10:47 PM

The bucktail jig doesn't have to skip the bottom to catch a striper, keep it in the midwater column. In fact you'll likely snag the bottom and lose your rig. Re: your question on how fast to reel it in...You should experiment reeling it in at different speeds. Some days a fast retrieve will work well, other days slow to moderate, it all depends on conditions. It's also a good idea to turn 3 or 4 cranks of the reel, then pull back on the rod or even twitch the rod, then continue reeling. Repeat the cycle. The idea is for your lure to imitate a live baitfish, or wounded baitfish. A previous post suggested an article in this months issue of On the Water Magazine. The title of the article is Swimming Bucktails, author = Jimmy Fee, on page 26. On the Water has a website, you can google it. I'm not sure if you can get the article via their webpage. Good luck.

I tried fishing at Race Point on Saturday at sunset until dark. I tried a varitey of plugs but had no luck. There didn't appear to be much activity.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:03 PM
Official Member

I've using a 1.5oz with a white and red pork strip. I think it comes pretty near the bottom at times, think i'll try a 1 oz. I lost my 1.5oz rig on a pesky buoy in the middle of the jetty. That's the second one!
Old 10-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Official Member

>>The latest issue of On The Water has an article about fishing bucktails.

I read this article.

Went out again last night. 1oz white tail with red 3" trailer, 2 hours beore HT. The water was at a dead calm. I thought this was strange since a storm just passed thru. No moon.

I think I had the right weight, the bucktail didn't seem to bounce along the bottom. No luck though. I have to admit, this is getting discouraging.
Old 10-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Official Member

>>Cast upcurrent and let it your bucktail sort of glide through the water off the bottom.

BTW, what does upcurrent mean? Against the tide?
Old 10-21-2009, 08:44 PM
First Mate

Down south in NC and that area they troll 24 oz. jigs(same design as bucktail) with 12 inch and larger rubber shad. They had a show on "On Demand" VS channel called NE Stripers where they were using these along with 8" shad unbrellar rigs. Boy they sure did catch some monsters
Old 10-21-2009, 10:13 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

no maybe he shouldn't stick to bait...
everything is a learning curve. so what? discouragement is the way to defeat. persistence pays off.
cast up current is exactly what it means. you can't be that dopey..
i don't mean to be condescending but c'mon..
fishing the bucktail at night when your not familiar with fishing it at all? i recall you trying other things first. have you succeeded in the baitfishing dept yet?. you really need to go out with some people or person who will show you what to do. if you can't comprehend what it is or, not sure of what it is you are doing out there - it's gonna be a long curve dude. i gotta put it to ya blunt cuz nobody is the bad man here c'ept zim. the "i want it all and i want it now" syndrome is freaking you out. you can learn alot by reading and doing what someone says to do but, when you are there alone and aloof, you can be quite mesmerized at the whole thing. alot of fellas got good at fishing but not at catching here. be so humble as to ask someone on the beach bucktailing to "show me how to do that sir" one quick lesson is priceless. it's not one specific way. it's a retrieve that fits the bill in that instance and location. so, if you have a spot where good fishermen are fishing just ask one for help. god, it won't kill ya to say "i don't know" in person to someone. all the info you read online is to gear you up. now you have to find the technique in that area that works. you could be there an awfully long time or figure it out right away. one "on hands" lesson relieves the tension and stress of being unsuccessful. and puts confidence in your step.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Official Member

>cast up current is exactly what it means. you can't be that dopey..
>i don't mean to be condescending but c'mon..

Your remark is not condescending; it is disrespectful. "Upcurrent", used in the previous post, is not a word. I was asking an honest question, as I expect alot of beginners have trouble learning the established jargon.

Also, I don't need a sermon from you on persistence or humility. At the end of the day your a guy online who is good at catching fish. Perhaps not taking yourself so seriously is in order, dude.