what rod?????!? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 08-19-2009, 04:39 PM
Striper Hunter

Exclamation what rod?????!?

i'm a little stuck on what rod to get for slinging eels from the beach and "maybe" form 'easy' jetties. i was lookin at the tica uela at their online store and cant decide what lure weight rating to get. i have no idea how much eels weigh or how much weight/ if any of you guys have any better rods for no more than 50 let me know plse.

thanks in adcvance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: what rod?????!?

I don't know what to recommend for a rod for $50 or less. I have a Daiwa Sealine that was around that price....maybe a little more that I can use for eels but it is stiff. I also have a St. Croix legend surf which is a much lighter rod but can sling eels easily and also is sensitive enough that I can feel the eel on the end swimming around. The rating on my St Croix is 3/4 oz - 4 oz and the Daiwa is 2oz - 6 oz. Eels probably weigh around 2 - 3 oz

If you really like the UEHA models I'd think the 9' surf spinning model would be a good choice. I saw it on one site for $80 on sale. Normally $100

They also have some other models but they seem a little more dedicated to one type of fishing and not as versatile
Old 08-19-2009, 09:26 PM

For $50 your only shot at a decent rod is to try and buy one used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Striper Hunter

thanks guys for the feedback. i'l take a look at the buy trade forum. for something. and what are some cons about cheep rods?
Old 08-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Striper Hunter

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tsunami-Airwave-...d=p3286.c0.m14

is it too good to be true

has anyone used it-i was looking at the 10 foot version

whats the store price
Old 08-20-2009, 02:14 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartoon View Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tsunami-Airwave-...d=p3286.c0.m14

is it too good to be true

has anyone used it-i was looking at the 10 foot version

whats the store price

Did you buy it? Tsunami makes some pretty decent stuff for the money. They also have a rod called the Trophy(I think) which is a decent rod. I think someone here on this site had recently bought a Tsunami Five-Star Rod. I have never used their rods but have heard pretty good things about them. I picked up a Airwave at the store the other night to see how it felt and how much it weighed, I was surprised as it was rather light.
I did not check the weight(lure oz. rating) but make sure you get something that is strong enough to throw the weight you want, if not then you may be trying out their warranty policy. If you want to throw something as heavy as a barn then an Ugly Stick Big Water series would work and is around $60 to $70, I do not recommend it for pluggin though
Old 08-20-2009, 02:49 PM
Striper Hunter

thanks jerseystriper, i didn't buy it(bidding closed) but now i am pretty sure that it will be my next rod.
Old 08-21-2009, 04:53 PM
First Mate

I have a 10' airwave and I like it alot. I have used it for slinging eels and plugs. I have landed 40lb+ fish with it.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:57 PM

If it's mainly for slinging eels it's hard to go wrong with a 9' or 10' (depending on the model) yellow glass Lami
They can be found used for less then that Tsunami. I'll wager someone here has one gathering dust

The 10' Tsunami is an awful lot of rod for eels. You really want something with a softer feel to it, a pool cue action rod can be difficult for that use.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Rubber Shad Ex-spert

You want to buy lamiglass model sb 136 2m. It's a one piece fiberglass rod, 11' long. You can buy the blank for 100 bucks. You can build it yourself for 50 more dollars. This'll be the rod you never have to worry about.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...ss-Surf-Series

tape the reel on to the blank, glue on the guides and you will be mint! it's way easier than you think.

Good luck.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:28 AM
Striper Hunter

Quote:
You want to buy lamiglass model sb 136 2m. It's a one piece fiberglass rod, 11' long. You can buy the blank for 100 bucks. You can build it yourself for 50 more dollars. This'll be the rod you never have to worry about.
is that rod have a grip and guides on it already??

or is it a blank?
how about this rod http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cata...4Pa38Ta38Qahn0?

Last edited by kartoon; 08-25-2009 at 08:29 AM. Reason: more info
Old 08-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Striper Hunter

Angry Re: what rod?????!?

i hope all you guys are happy!!! :-(

you all got a teen with no income buyin' 100 dollar rods.

Last edited by kartoon; 08-25-2009 at 03:36 PM. Reason: not aid off--but your posts show how nice you guys are
Old 08-25-2009, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kartoon
Re: what rod?????!?

you all got a guy with no income buyin' 100 dollar rods
Kartoon. Do yourself a favor and buy a rod from a bimini bay outfitter dealer, or Cabelas.
Tsunami trophy surf spinning or airwave rods are about 75 bucks and will do you ok until you have a few dollars. The tica uela is a decent rod for the money. 9 or 10 foot. http://www.cabelas.com/p-0041600317887a.shtml
An eel weighs anywhere from 2 to 4 ounces normally. If you need it to go deeper in a strong current off of a jetty you may need 6 ounces. A rod rated 1 to 5 ounces will work for you here. Medium heavy - no big deal.
Remember its the terminal tackle and the presentation that gets the fish. As you gain experience you can upgrade the equipment after you tie into a big one that cant be turned by a flimsier cheaper rod.
Remember have fun and you dont need to break the bank or go buildng your own rods just yet.
Theres plenty of time for that later on. You will get what you pay for - If you do get a real cheap rod, make sure it can handle 15 to 30 pound mono line, is at least 8 to 10 feet long and rated medium to heavy action that throws between 1 to 5 ounces.
Look at your local flea markets for a rod and on ebay sometimes you can get a steal.
I've had just about every rod here on the cabelas list, including the cheapest water eagle and caught fish on them all.
Cabelas Saltwater spinning rods
Old 08-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Striper Hunter

I just got 2 shimano's (2 for $50.00) 9' rated 3/4-4 oz. Hopefully these will do for plugs and eels. Can not wait to see.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartoon View Post

you all got a teen with no income buyin' 100 dollar rods.
Oops, sorry, didn't realize you're a kid.

Never the less you should still be able to score a used glass rod rated 1 to 4 oz for under $50. You might have to learn to repair a guide or two but that's a good thing in the long run. All you need to do that is a cardboard box, a bobbin, some thread, a phone book and some rod building epoxy.

Conlon, Lami, Fenwick .............. plenty of decent, inexpensive glass rods out there.