Braided line - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 06-11-2009, 12:49 PM
in awe of real fisherman

Default Re: Braided line

yep..I actually moved from Whitinsville to here...I am down to the bay quite a bit. Some nagging foot injuries have kept me from the surf but the boat is another story :)
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2009, 08:03 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
i've plugged with a cannon and it is a handicap in some respects. some don't have bailess so with that item alot of larger reels have a bail that comes very close to the sucker when the rod is horizontal and you are clanging it off the bail arm.
This is probably true. I am bailess so a bail would probably hit it.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:12 PM

You don't have to buy new braided lines when it wears out. My trick is to spool the old line onto another spool. The outcome is that the new line that was never used on the bottom is on top now. There you go, start fishing again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2009, 11:36 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

okay children//////
for our next question/////
how do you store your braid and what is the do's and don't for storing it.
we may keep this thread alive for some time. this kid will master braid in one week as we have taken years to accomplish. let's see who paid attention in class 2 weeks ago..

Old 06-16-2009, 01:38 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublerunner View Post
Plus I had a tough time tying a good knot with such a thin line
Try using an Uni knot with braid. I have yet to have one fail. Also if your fishing around a lot of rocks check your line regularly. If it starts to look really frayed cut it back. I can't tell you how many time I knew my line was shot, but didn't want to stop fishing to cut it back,and had it cost me a fish.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:10 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i don;t think i've ever used that knot for tying direct as it is a cinch knot and i don't trust any cinch knot with braid. it is my go to knot for terminal tackle but i won't use it for braid. the palomar has less turns and twists. don't let anyone tell you that doubling the line on a uni tied with braid is stronger though as it will fail faster as there's more room for it to slip out. in a clinch (get it) i will use it in the dark if need be but won't be comfortable and will play a fish different on account of it.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:15 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Its what I have been using to connect my swivel to main line for five years and have yet to have a failure. I use the palomar with Fluor and mono.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:21 PM

Palomar, Palomar, Palomar, Palomar,and when in doubt Palomar.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:30 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by khary23 View Post
Its what I have been using to connect my swivel to main line for five years and have yet to have a failure. I use the palomar with Fluor and mono.
on ten fish i guess it would hold up.
i'm kiddin i'm kiddin....... who loves ya baby? that was just way too tempting to pass up.

Old 06-22-2009, 04:39 PM
Striper Hunter

Okay so the braided line does not suck.....LOL . I re-spooled it using the Berkley Stealth 50#. First I put on 1 wrap of electrical tape and then I attached about 10 yards of 30# mono using an arbor knot. Then I attached the braid to the mono with an albright know but not the alberto version as that is just crazy....get it? Attached it to my barrel swivel with a palomar knot and then my fluoro leader is attached to that

What I found out was using the heavier braid is much easier to work with and less likely to get wind knots. I also paid very close attention to the reel every cast and retrieve to make sure there were no issues. I also closed the bail by hand every time ( well almost ) and guided the line with my other hand at the beginning of the retrieve. Happy to say I had 2 hookups although 1 shook off. Landed 1...not quite a keeper but nice nonetheless.

The ideal plug for distance seems to be a 2 3/8 ounce polaris popper. That thing just zips wayyyyyy out there. A couple others seem to get good distance also but that popper just carries an unbelievable distance

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:09 PM
Jigologist

Great thread!!
Here's an outline checklist as follows:
*load it w/ mono backing or (electrical)tape the first wrap.
*wet the crap out of it prior to loading.
*pay close attention to your casting habits to control the line.
A* close bail by hand your reel will last longer as well.
B* tug the line with your free hand before starting your retrieve.
C* visually check often for lose loops or line crossing the face of the spool.
* Almost always use a Palomar knot for braid NO clinch type knots what so ever.
*one thing I do is to "feather" the spool with my free-hand thumb near the end of the cast by gently resting my thumb on the spool rim and stopping the cast just before it hits the water, reach around with the fingers to shut the bail, quick tug of the line, start retrieve.. it's just habit now no matter what line or reel I'm using.
* keep a slightly loser drag setting
*depending on the take, just snub up the rod tip to set the hook (especially close in) don't get all crazy with the hookset..
* pay close attention around rocky areas for line abrasion ..inspect often.
* if you get hung up don't reef on the rod or grab the spool and reef on it just set the rod down grab the line with a glove on and do your tugging and reefing that way.. ifn' ya don't your gonna dig the line into the spool and your next cast you'll get a nice big nest to deal with..
* if you're like me and don't use leaders often but rather tie direct, and your line is faded and looking like rope in the water, get a permanent marker and blacken the last 4-6 feet and it will virtually disappear in the water.. works great .. just be aware that some of the industrial strength markers have an oder that does not go away so stay clear of them. sharpies are good and if you slit the tip with a razor it makes it easier to keep it on the line.

once you get used to using braid and realizing the bennies like the sensitivity and ability to set the hook on long casts with ease.. just to name a few.. you'll never go back to mono ..

Have fun
Old 07-01-2009, 05:39 PM
First Mate

I myself have used braid for years. Started back when 10lb braid=6lb mono width. I like it for it's strength as with my 6600c I have a whole 300 yrd spool of 30 lb PP with about 50 yards Big Game backing. Try that with mono-not. The only knot I ever use is Palomar and now have tried the Fish N Fool knot a few times. Fish n Fool know won the knot wars this yr. beating out the Palomar. The palomar had been the leading knot for yrs on either braid or mono. In the knot wars they test on 3 different lines. The F n F knot is pretty easy to tie also. For braid to mono it's the Sebile or FG knot(by far the best) and to tackle its Palomar or F n F. The palomar is such an easy knot to tie also, so is the F n F. Screw the cinch or uni with braid, just asking for trouble.

These were all tested with 65lbd Power Pro to 80lbd momoi diamond mono....

Albright knot- broke at 50 lbds at the knot.

Uni-Uni knot- broke at 55 lbds at the knot.

Sebile knot- broke at 70 lbds and this was on the power pro portion that wrapped around the post.