Frozen Clams - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 05-11-2009, 03:27 PM
Official Member

Default Frozen Clams

I had a bucket of clams last year that got put up in the freezer after an outing that proved to be my last. I have a chance to spend an hour around Salem Harbor tonight ( a rare occurance) and wanted to try for a fish. Can I use these or do they get "burnt" and un-apatizing to the stripers? How about Gulp Fake Clams? Got a pack of those. Should I even bother? Or should I bag the bait idea and try some sluggos and storm shad?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009, 03:35 PM
Young salt

Default Re: Frozen Clams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Grumpy View Post
I had a bucket of clams last year that got put up in the freezer after an outing that proved to be my last. I have a chance to spend an hour around Salem Harbor tonight ( a rare occurance) and wanted to try for a fish. Can I use these or do they get "burnt" and un-apatizing to the stripers? How about Gulp Fake Clams? Got a pack of those. Should I even bother? Or should I bag the bait idea and try some sluggos and storm shad?

I'd say save the clams and the Gulps for later on in the season. Stick to herring or mackerel and artificials similar to these for best results this early in the season. Stripers are chasing bait fish up the coast this early during the spring run so sticking to what they're feeding on should net ya better results. Sandworms and bloodworms may not be a bad idea either, but ya never know. Good luck man, hope ya sley 'em.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 05-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperHyper View Post
I'd say save the clams and the Gulps for later on in the season. Stick to herring or mackerel and artificials similar to these for best results this early in the season. Stripers are chasing bait fish up the coast this early during the spring run so sticking to what they're feeding on should net ya better results. Sandworms and bloodworms may not be a bad idea either, but ya never know. Good luck man, hope ya sley 'em.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Was just looking around and was thinking the same thing. Fake fish. I have one lonely left over 6" silver colored Stormshad and a BSN 9" Bunker storm shad. I also have a couple black Sluggos rigged up. Do these look like fish to Stripers or Eels?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 02:48 AM

i'm with those guys. swim shads are doing good. and i have a post on here somewhere but those gulp clams suck and i'd say 85% of ppl agreed if not more so keep that in mind. and worse comes to worse if the bucket of clams doesn't smell or you can take a quick taste of the clams to find out if they're good after they thaw but back on track you can always use em to chum.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:09 AM
First Mate

I use clams quite a bit and if nothing else it can be some good chum for you...Yes, they are chasing bait fish right now but have always caught fish when using clams...I coudln't tell you what smells good or bad, but always know my hands smell like straight a$$ after I'm using them all night (and usually the next day as well) Never tried that gulp stuff ($20 freakin dollars for a small container )...Anyways...Also on the sluggo's..Use them all year even throughout the winter, where holdovers...They work good no matter what....I'd wait to use the black ones until low light or night though...I've done good this year with a 9" blue on white color sluggo or Hogy...Also done real well on all white finS fish....With the water warming they are even hitting topwater on my last outting...Nothing better then having then explode out of the water....
Old 05-12-2009, 09:17 AM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstriperfisher View Post
and worse comes to worse if the bucket of clams doesn't smell or you can take a quick taste of the clams to find out if they're good after they thaw

ummmm, I'm no expert either but I don't think ya wanna take a bite of anything ya bought to be used as bait. There's a good chance that the "Not for human consumption" sticker on the side of the carton is there for a reason. TRUST ME, if they go bad you'll know before ya even open the container, but for the love of God man, please don't taste the things. I agree that any leftovers, be they clams, macks, worms etc would make for a good chum concoction though.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 05-12-2009, 11:14 AM
Official Member

Well, I used a 6" silver storm shad. Casting from shore. no luck. It's pretty heavy and would sink right to the bottom. I tried to use it like a jig because I couldn't keep it up in the water column at all. It hit bottom. Of course, I might have only been in a foot of water no mater how far I cast it out, IDK. It was low tide in a big way but I was fishing along side all kinds of "structure" that I assumed carried over further out. I think that it would be a better place at high tide but it's in a VERY public place, not too far from a public beach. Do bathers scare stipers away?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Grumpy View Post
Do bathers scare stipers away?

Only the fat broads in their 1 piece moo-moo's and hairy Canadian men in speedo's.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 05-12-2009, 01:28 PM

haha i wouldn't recommend taking a whopping bite out of it. a trick the mate taught me to check to see if the bait was still fresh enough or to get a new one was lightly touch it to your lips to find out if it was good or not. i dunno i stayed away from that and went with the smellin but who knows people out there do crazy things for fish.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:09 PM
Young salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by newstriperfisher View Post
haha i wouldn't recommend taking a whopping bite out of it. a trick the mate taught me to check to see if the bait was still fresh enough or to get a new one was lightly touch it to your lips to find out if it was good or not. i dunno i stayed away from that and went with the smellin but who knows people out there do crazy things for fish.

Thats probably not a bad idea my friend, either that or let your friend do the taste testing and just reap the benefits. There's really no wonder though when judging by smell if the clams are still fresh. The clams have a little stank when you buy them from the bait shop but they should last a couple/few trips depending on the # of fish ya catch and properly refrigerating whatever is leftover. Doing crazy things for fish is more than understood on this site, believe me.....but ingesting or otherwise tasting bait is just plain unsanitary!!!! Good luck man, hope ya get into 'em real soon.

StriperHyper ~ Will

Last edited by StriperHyper; 05-12-2009 at 03:09 PM. Reason: .....
Old 05-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

would you eat anything that was frozen for a whole year?
if it's not freezer burned and it was salted to begin with then put it in the fridge to thaw overnight and fish it. otherwise if it was fresh it's waste.
clam will catch bass year round.
yes people scare bass. they can hear voices better than they can hear a 2 stroke engine.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:10 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1 View Post
would you eat anything that was frozen for a whole year?
if it's not freezer burned and it was salted to begin with then put it in the fridge to thaw overnight and fish it. otherwise if it was fresh it's waste.
clam will catch bass year round.
yes people scare bass. they can hear voices better than they can hear a 2 stroke engine.
Holy crap! You actually answered a question. Well. You didn't make fun of me or rant about how NooBs make you want to make you kill yourself. I feel honored. Truely. I'll have to try harder to not suck so much this year to make up for it!
Old 05-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

don't worry, you'll intuitively find yourself in the same situation and retort that statement. the lightbulb will go on above your head sooner or later..as for now, yes, i truly care and only get the cyanide out for the chosen few. your uncany ability to make me wanna take a slingshot to my testacles has grown on me and therefore i look forward to your querries.......first things first
you are no longer allowed a white bucket!
carry a napsack/tackle bag/duffle bag/fag bag/ but under no circumstances a white bucket! you then will make me proud....

Old 05-13-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
querries
Curious word there zimmeister.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:49 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Quote:
Originally Posted by StriperHyper View Post
ummmm, I'm no expert either but I don't think ya wanna take a bite of anything ya bought to be used as bait. There's a good chance that the "Not for human consumption" sticker on the side of the carton is there for a reason. TRUST ME, if they go bad you'll know before ya even open the container, but for the love of God man, please don't taste the things. I agree that any leftovers, be they clams, macks, worms etc would make for a good chum concoction though.
StriperHyper ~ Will
Having spent more than a day or two in the commercial fishing industry,,, that hi-lited part should be cast in stone.
Fishermen (comm.) don't fish specifically for bait (except lobster sometimes).
Bait prices are 1/3 what food market $ generally are,,, if they're that high.
Butter-fish, squid, clams, bunker, macks, etc. are not handled the same way if they've passed off as bait on the market. Could be old, rotted / smelly, contaminated (oil, fuel, chemicals, etc.) or just of questionable quality. Believe me, the packers will take a chance on passing off questionable quality in the view of profit. There's no gov't food inspectors watching the process like there is with chickens, pigs, etc.

For this reason I generally dig / catch / procure my own from reputable(er) sources. Stop & Shop for squid,,, Seafood market for clams, etc. This is all in the interest of obtaining "fresh" bait. Simply meaning something not too rotted, spoiled and froze, or as in clams, still alive. For $5.00 you can get a lot of steamers in a fish market that's guaranteed fresh. Fresh bait not generally found in a Bait Shop is also freshly available. Like smelt, shrimp, and such.

Something to consider when thinking of eating your bait for lunch.