getting macks for bait - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 04-21-2009, 04:49 PM
First Mate

Default getting macks for bait

ok guys i've come to the conclusion that most of the people i know in the area i fish (mostly merrimack river)during the day that catch big fish are live lineing mackeral....that being said what is the best /fastest way to catch some macks for bait....cause honestly i've never done it! i've alway used cut bait/worms or eels . i here of alot of guys jigging for them ...so best jigs? best bait? methods etc.... i' open to ideas or suggestions thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 05:17 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Default Re: getting macks for bait

look for offshore structure in 100' of water at day break, set up a chum slick and jig slowly with a sabiki rig.... if the Mac's are about you'll have plenty of bait in no time... being there early is key....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 2660.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	10414  
Old 04-21-2009, 06:08 PM
First Mate

last season was my first specifically going after my own macks for bait. I got pletty with a little effort, one thing I did not do was catch a cow live lining one while jigging them up and drifting in 75-90' of water. Roc, any suggestion on rigging these for the deep water?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2009, 06:20 PM
First Mate

roc,
stupid ? but whats a sabiki rig and what do you generlly use for a chum slick? and as for the structure.. am i looking for areas that have 100' of water with structure come sharply off the bottom to much less depths on top of structure?? thanks ~
Old 04-21-2009, 09:36 PM
Striper Hunter

Last year was a banner for the macks. I generally try to find structure (lobster pots are a giveaway) 70-100ft of water. I simply shut the motor down and drift through them jigging a sabaki rig or small diamond jigs. Sabaki rigs are several small fly looking hook rigs attached together down a main line. You can buy them at any saltwater tackle shop or Dick's. Cheap and effective. I usually weight the whole match with a big-ass Kast-Master (added flash). Some will chum, but I simply move the rig up through the water column and will find the fish easily. I never needed chum last year. Every stop resulted in 25+ fish within 20 minutes. When the tinkers (small mackerel) are thick, take advantage of them. Freeze the fish whole in a brine/vaccume pack to keep the color. Horse macks are good for chunk/chum but tinks rule for quantity of fish.

As far as rigging fish is concerned, I am not an expert... But I have found better sucess using egg sinkers and dragging the little bastads along the bottom in good current. I hook the fish through the bottom lip, bring it up through the nose and drag it right through the rips. Bass that are seeing traffic (weekend boaters like myself) will sit on the bottom.

One thing I learned, on an outgoing tide, I shut off my livewell pump and run an areator due to the fresh water flush. I killed many a bait not paying attention to that.

I am still new at the sport and the older salts can either correct me or add. I did not mean to hyjack, but I thought I would give you some advice from a fairly new boater (4 years running a boat in the toilet)
Old 04-22-2009, 08:13 AM
First Mate

any advice is welcome vets or newbies...
Old 04-22-2009, 08:26 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Lots of questions....

first, last season catching bait was easy, it's not always this way... using ground herring or sand eels is the very best way to get the bait.. especialy if there are alot of boats ( I dont fish weekends) if there are alot of boats drifting jigging, I can suck every mackerel within a mile up and under my boat with a well laid chum skick, I get my bait quickly while everyone else wonders where the fish went....most days I'm donr fishing by the time they show up...

Even over deep water, the fish can often be caught on the surface, I often times anchor just inside the ledges where I caught the mackerel and rig a ballon on a slider that will allow the bait to swim down about 15' ( a good depth for mackerel as well)... I also bridal a mackerel on a 3 way swivel and drop it to the bottom with as much lead as it takes to hold it there... I've caught bass in 160' of water while cod fishing on a live mackerel that was lowered to the bottom for whale cod..

but most times, I take the Mackerel out along the beach front (or up into the river) and live line them under a ballon..6' below the surface..most days their lives are short.

as others have said, once you get into the river, you must recirculate the water, the brackish water will kill a mackerel very quicklly... stop outside the jetty and change the water or shut off the bait pump and switch to recirculate before entering the river..

I keep two 5 gallon pails of salt water ( with a lid) and add that to the mixture once I am fishing... another trick to help save your bait is to freeze gallon jugs of water , use screw cap lip jugs and add this to the tank, the lid keeps the melting water from contaminating the salt water as it melts...
Old 04-22-2009, 09:58 AM
First Mate

ROC, thanks for the tips i feel no one knows fish better then you on this site, even more so in our area... last year i caught countless fish mostly smaller schoolies tho this year i need to get some bigger ones...and i feel this will help me out alot! !
question???....during the week i do a fair amount of fresh water fishing, if i kept these fish and ground them and froze them would that work as a good chum?? even tho they are not salt fish??
Old 04-22-2009, 10:15 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

any ground fish will work,but the more oil in the fish the better... I've used cat food in a pinch, mix it with oat meal and a little sand... and you have chum!.. works good on flounder too!
Old 04-22-2009, 10:24 AM
First Mate

ok guess i'll start keeping all the junk fish i catch....lol. also is there any type of oil you could add to the mix to help??? cat food and oatmeal sounds easy too...
i also like the idea for flounder i like to go for those tasty flaties sometimes...
Old 04-22-2009, 01:18 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

blend a little vegtable oil in the mixure while grinding... cheap substitute for pogie or herring oil..
Old 04-22-2009, 04:13 PM
First Mate

ok another question...i was looking at the cabelas catalog for sabaki rigs and saw they have them listed in japenese and american hook sizes ....which one is best for macks?
Old 04-22-2009, 04:32 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

buy them at almost any store, Wal mart even carries them... size 6 is good... I make my own..

simply tie 4 droppers about 8" appart on a length of #15 mono, to each dropper attach a long shanked gold hook with a small amount of mylar or flashaboo... use a 1 ounce crippled herring as the weight... it will outfish any store bought rig...
Old 04-22-2009, 05:04 PM
First Mate

Jezzz roc , you must live and breath fishing ! lol ! any chance you have a picture of one of your rigs around?? if they are that much better i will atempt to make them....lol...not sure how that will turn out though.....
Old 04-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Striper Hunter

I have got to get better at chumming. Last year was like no other in recent memory. They were everywhere...

As far as using them for cod bait? I cannot wait to try....

I am getting itchy... do you have the boat in the water Roc?