What do you guys think about 11ft+ Rods - Page 5 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:04 PM

Default Re: What do you guys think about 11ft+ Rods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambov View Post
I think I will buy a longer rod. Maybe 11 to 15 ft. When I was at the pro shop a guy in there told me not to.
I thought I'd ask you guys to see what you think.
I'm coming late to this discussion but I would suggest that *balance* (line-rod-reel) and YOUR physical limitations AND what type of fishing you do are all key factors. I use an 11 foot Graphite Ron Arra Lamiglass in the surf and at the Canal. I have two: one for spinning, the other conventional. For me they are fine. They do the job for ME. Bay-inlet fishing for me requires a different set up --- shorter and lighter gear for lighter lures. I'm now appoaching my 69th year, and I'm *thinking* just thinking about a ten footer. <shrug>
Get one and fish it and see for yourself. You can't have too many rods or reels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2009, 05:55 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidN. View Post
Get one and fish it and see for yourself. You can't have too many rods or reels.

I would tend to agree with that.

My everyday rod is an 11'6" I use it in the rocks on the beach etc. etc. Works fine for me.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:22 PM
swabbie

I fish two with abu 6500's on them a little heavy ,but when I am throwing bait they are not bad.

Wet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Official Member

Now that I'm 70 , My rods are getting shorter
, in more ways than one.. As a young man i started with a heavy lami blank which I wrapped..This was around11 1/2 ' with pipe clamps holding on a PennSquidder.. It caught fish & i was extremly a happy guy..was imtroduced to the regs at the california beaches...Everyone in the late 70s were using this type of gear..The bigger the better 3 1/4 oz to 4 oz Distance the objective As we also had salmon asa bicatch...Then a lot of smaller groups from China, philopinos & smaller frame people began fishing With new gear & ideas to fit our fishing..We eventually picked up on some of their gear & found out we could fish these smaller outfits all day long without a break.. Where as before we would throw & ocaisionally back off & take a break until the fish started in again..The new guys were using !0' spinning outfits& throwing shorter than us...Then the Cabelas Predatore Casting ( Actually Spin ) rods appeared on the beach..We found our common outfits, with the Calcutta 400 ...Still 11' setups but a lot lighter Eventually other blanks appeared on the scene.. I finally have a Rod from a friend I wrapped with a $00TE &thats where i stay to this day..Since the arrival of Braid the picture has changed greatly .Med size spin outfits usually 10' - 11' can reach wayout there in neverland..In our Bays the outfits run the same as your inland or brechway type fishing. I even go down to trout outfits in a boat for schoolies..I really enjoy the lighter out fitsas I get older.. I think I'll go take a nap now...Thanks for listening ...you saved me $100 a hour on my doctors couch,,,,,Jim
Old 05-21-2009, 05:19 PM
First Mate

Any long or short rod that loads up well for me in the 9 to 13 foot range that is not heavy.