I guess fish don't like water - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Official Member

Default I guess fish don't like water

Just did a couple hours out at my favorite drive-to Island. I was anxious to try my Storm Shad, my poorly-rigged Slug-go and some Slug-go variations (standard rig and jigged white, standard and "rigged" black) and my Atom Popper. I caught a fishing rod, that escaped just shy of shore but no fish. I did set my slug-go free. I thought that I made the best cast ever until I realized that he wasn't attached to the line.

I was concentrating hard on the rocks on the south side of the bridge, the current changes in the channel and the calm pool right against the island. Even though the down-river tide was supposed to be high about an hour before I started fishing the tide was definately flowing out. Very out.

Was it just too rainy today?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 09:48 PM

Default Re: I guess fish don't like water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy
I thought that I made the best cast ever until I realized that he wasn't attached to the line.
Was it just too rainy today?
lol - My experience with the rain varies. It sometimes doesnt matter one bit - but other times the fish will hunker down and wait for the storm to pass.
It depends on a variety of factors and differs whether your fishing surf or from a boat.
If there were fish around, it could be just as simple as presentation, lure selection and current speed.
But I could reconcile the skunk with that statement
Old 07-26-2008, 10:29 AM
First Mate

Default Re: I guess fish don't like water

Keep at it you're doing the right stuff. Experiment with weight and fishing the plastics at different depths. Try casting up river and just let the storm shad drift and pay attention to when the line tightens at the end and the lure rises this is often the time a fish will hit.

The water is pretty warm up river so that may have been your problem, the thermometers that you can clip on to a line and cast are handy.

On tides, high tide is probably almost hour later than your chart which is most likely the mouth of the river. Also, with all the rain, the river is running pretty hard which is what you are seeing flow through on the surface.

Note - I was cruising up river yesterday afternoon and saw a bunch of schoolies feasting on bait trapped against the grassy area just up river on the other side of the bridge. It was wild and the timing (high/slack/full sun) surprised me and worse I didn't have a rod on the boat :(