New rod and reel for boat? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 05-11-2006, 12:32 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Default New rod and reel for boat?

a buddy of mine just got a boat. We went out today and got some blues but I noticed that the gear I was using was a little light for what we were doing. I 'm basically looking for a spining outfit that that can handle poppers and tins with out being too long, and maybe an outfit for chunking and eeling off the boat(Roccus what do you say). being a surfman this is all new to me and any help would be appreciated(tips on what to look for from off a boat too).
Thanks in advance
Khary
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2006, 06:23 PM

Take a look at St. Croix Premier spinning rods. Specifically the model number PS66MHF2. This is a great striper rod for plugging. Its not too long 6' 6", and is two piece for easy travel. Can cast 1/2-1 oz plugs (what they recommend), and is pretty beefy but still not stout enough to not let you enjoy the fight. Best striper plugging rod St. Croix has hands down in my opinion. They recommend 8-17 pound test. I'd go with 15 or so pound fireline. They dont make it in one piece, and its not that bad at $110.

You can see the specs here:
http://www.stcroixrods.com/rods/defa...6&section=spin

It fits a 30 size reel. Epixor isnt bad and pretty cheap for a baitrunner, but is big as hell for plugging. I'd probably stick a 30 size Epixor (EB not EF) on it (or avenger), for chunking, or if the main purpose is plugging, a 30 size Quantum Catalyst, or 30 size Shimano Stradic (both great reels).

You want to look for a rod that handles 8-20 pound test, and can cast anywhere in between 1/2-1 1/2 ounces. I like to use smaller rods in order to make the fight better. (especially ultralights!). G. Loomis is also another great brand, but typically a bit more expensive.

This is just definitely my favorite rod for rockfish plugging and chumming, along with my slightly less powerful falcon (for 1/4-3/4 ounce lures).

If your looking at a different price range or brand let me know.

For eels, this rod may still be a bit too weak, I dont fish eels as they are illegal when the big cows are here, so I cant speak from experience there.

-Kevin
Old 05-12-2006, 02:24 AM

https://stripers247.com/phpBB2/viewto...ghlight=review
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2006, 10:22 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Everyone has a different view on what works, I realy hate to recomend tackle...

so here's what I use... For spinning, I built a 6' medium action "S" glass rod, the tip is soft and the back bone stiff, the main reason, is I cast the eels, too stiff of a tip and you do alot of "chumming" by this I mean the eel head off into the darkness less the hook, I have acouple of pennpower sticks given to me to test, they are rugged but way too stiff.

For reels I like the Shimano baitrunner type reels, My favorite set up sports a Shimano Thunnus 6000, basicly a high end baitrunner. I own two bait runners as well, personaly there's not enough differeance betweem them to justify the extra 100 bucks in price....These are loaded with 15lb mono (Ande tournoment) this is what works for me...

For live bait trolling and limited chunkiing (something I only do when there are NO other options) I use a pair of shimao beastmaster blanks 6.5', they also have soft tips but strong backbones, I pair these with Penn 320 lever drags, loaded with 60 lb power pro, to this goes a 15' 40lb shock leader , this saves on cutting back the power pro and gives what I determin to be the right amount of stretch to keep from ripping the hook out of the fish, especialy at boat side...

this is what I use, they survive heavy use with minimal care and take more than their share of outsized bass each year. loosing very few... IMHO they are as good as it gets formy type of fishing.... your and other needs may vary...

good luck
Roc
Old 05-12-2006, 11:27 AM

I have 3 spinning rods. St Croix, love it but pricey ($120 5 years ago) and the guides have been replaced. UglyStick, like fishing with a 2x4. Lastly I have a no name 2 piece rod from Benny's Auto that was left on my boat, nice for surf casting and trolling. All have Penn reels.

This afternoon I'm picking up a 7' Tica. Nice action and a mere $65. I'll be placing a Shimano that was given to me on it.

That's my story.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:18 PM

Default wanna go out tom. morning?

aight you give me surf fishing lessons, i'll give you boat fishing lessons

here's 2 combos that arent too expensive that are perfect for what you and I are doing out on my boat

1st pick

http://<a href="http://www.boaterswo... up early bro!
Old 05-13-2006, 05:04 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

hey every one thanks for all the info. I guess I have to figure out a budget and move on from there.
love, peace and chicken grease
Old 05-13-2006, 11:20 PM

Yeah the wife seems to apprecaite it when I set a budget and stick to it during fishing season. I can't understand why......

I picked up a an 8'6" Tica one piece graphite this morning. Used it for a couple of hours today/tonight. So far I love it. Much nicer than my old favorite the St Croix.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:55 PM

Five Star also makes a 6' 6" or so rod that casts up to 1 1/2 ounce. Very nice rod, and only 30 bucks! Im picking up a few next week actually, just spotted them at work. 30-40 size avenger baitrunner would make it an excellent 80 dollar chunking rod.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Striper Hunter

Question Three Piece Rods?

What three piece rods would you all recommend for striped bass fishing? What reel would you put on it? Thanks.
Old 08-23-2011, 08:04 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: New rod and reel for boat?

Hi K Williams,
Curious why a 3 piece? Are you looking for a surf rod or a boat rod? Are you looking for a rod for casting plugs/lures or a heavier weight/bait setup? Spinning rod or conventional?

Here's a 12' 10" 3 piece surf rod rated for up to 4oz:
http://www.psfishing.com/diabolo-vi-...shing-rod.html
I have no experience with this rod,,, just popped up in a Google search
Old 08-23-2011, 10:03 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: 3 piece rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeF View Post
Hi K Williams,
Curious why a 3 piece? Are you looking for a surf rod or a boat rod? Are you looking for a rod for casting plugs/lures or a heavier weight/bait setup? Spinning rod or conventional?

Here's a 12' 10" 3 piece surf rod rated for up to 4oz:
http://www.psfishing.com/diabolo-vi-...shing-rod.html
I have no experience with this rod,,, just popped up in a Google search
I was looking for a rod that I could travel with on the plane, in cars, trains, etc... Did some websearches... G Loomis and St. Croix offer 7 foot medium heavy rods that break down into 3 sections.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: New rod and reel for boat?

Glad you found what you were looking for.