Artificial Eels? - Page 3 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 03-10-2008, 10:18 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Artificial Eels?

wow nice tip! Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 02:56 PM
Lunker

real eel skin wrapped plugs re usable first heard about them in Zenos book any good?
Old 03-24-2008, 05:22 PM
The New Guy

ok i need some one to look at this and tell me what you think.....i rigged a 10 in power eel on an old tin squid, then i rigged the second hook w/ double 65 lb spiderwire and threaded it through w/ a bait needle and tied it to a swivel to attach to the snap swivel at the front of the lead........do you think it will swim?? how should i modify it?? tie directly to the shank of the lead hook??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2928.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	5172   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2930.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	18.6 KB
ID:	5173  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 09:12 PM

That's a very interesting idea with the swivel.
The rig looks great except the rear hook is upside down, it should be coming out the botom.
Sticking up like that it will probably make the tail end twist over to one side and effect (affect ?? - I can never figure this word out grammatically) the swimming motion.

Also I would go with a much smaller swivel, like a Spro, less chance of it affecting (that damned word again) the action.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:54 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

omfg!
okay, A. first get rid of the spiderwire as it will fail! (if you get a hit that is)use kevlar as without shock absorption your loking for trouble it's stronger
B. IMO i would go with a smaller hook
C, lose the swivel "too busy" tie the kevlar directly to the squid jig hook. suds is right, the hook was the wrong way.(unless you wanna jig it off the bottom) you will have to thread the eel and feed it out 1/2in. below head to tie it on hook then secure it and pull it taught. (if i were inclined to use one)

Old 03-25-2008, 03:23 AM

Zim, I've been using leftover 65# to 80# braid for years with no problem (so long as the knots are Zap a Gapped) never had one fail.
But I don't fish with a hammered down drag like a lot of guys do.

I think the swivel idea is interesting and might be worth some experimenting. Like I said, a smaller Spro might be a good choice.

Most everyone uses a 5/0 Gami short shanked bait hook in the rear unless it's a very big eel in which case it's bumped up to a 6/0
Old 03-25-2008, 12:31 PM
The New Guy

wow.....so throw it in the trash huh? ok got it.........i wanted the rear hook up because i will be using it in the potomac and i don't feel like losing it in the rocks.........i will however use the smaller octopus hook and try tying directly to the hook like i said in my earlier post ........btw it was just an idea...... but now i hope i do get a fish on it so i can come on back here and post....... OMFG!! I CAUGHT A STRIPER ON THAT F'ED UP EEL RIG......i'll post a pic of the new rig tomorrow or thursday.....i'm going fishing today and tomorrow and won't have time to re rig........but don't worry i won't use that abomination until i fix it.......i wouldn't want to scare all the stripers from the east coast for ya zim
Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 PM
Pro Staff

Hey Reelthing,,, don't mind Zim's mode of delivering his advice. He probably got chased by a poodle today while delivering the mail, and still has his panties in a bunch

Your rig reminds me of some eel rigs I saw at the RISAA show last year,,, they were selling the heck out of em.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:04 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

there ya go= fishing rocks? braid-even dyneema will cut ya off faster than kevlar~ if ya gotta horse em out of rocks you need something like a tight drag and heavy tackle/. knew you put the hook up for a reason. didn;t say omfg to the rig dude, said it about the setup. the braid from the swivel to the hook is sure to get snagged on something and again the hook size imo may keep it swimming better as if a big fish hits that thing it wont really need the second hook cause she will friggen mangle the eel. so i don;t have my panties in a bunch and i didn;t mock anyones idea/theory/inventiveness or tackle choice. my input was purely suggestive. sorry if i came off the wrong way in what i wrote. omfg i think my panties are now in a bunch cause i am appologizing for something again. (can i still play>) ( IF YOU GET A hit) I can see how that could be construed as negative. wrong choice

Old 03-26-2008, 07:39 AM
First Mate

Wow, Im quite impressed that was almost like an apology Zim... Reelthing, don't take what Zim says to heart, it's just Zim being sarcastic, not a jerk, hard to tell the two apart in a post.

Bryan

PS good looking rig, better than anything I could come up with
Old 03-26-2008, 08:03 AM
The New Guy

sorry zim......i just took it the wrong way .........maybe i should have some thicker skin when i ask for no bs responses for my rig....thanks for the input guys.....i should have the new rig up tomorrow....if i don't its cause i went fishing again
Old 03-26-2008, 09:53 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Tin squids are made to swim keel down., use just a snap for maximum action, if you must use a swivel, install one in line above the rig, but limit the termination to a solo snap..... for the hook, use a siwash open eye and close it around the hook... no tieing, if you need to stabilize the hook, a small length of vinal or latex tubing can be forced over the squid hook past the barb,this will lock the hook in place... I've used the open eye siwash on buck tail trailer hooks, bunker spoons and squids for over 20 years, works slicker than **** through a goose...

Personaly, I'd rig the eels on a jig head, those tins are mighty fine weapons on their own... day or night.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:41 AM
The New Guy

well i was trying to come up with a rig that would get a little deeper for trolling and casting along the upper potomac north of chain bridge......some of the water up there can get as deep as 70 ft......and i don't have and way to use a down rigger because (please try not to laugh) i'll be using only a canoe........yes a canoe....... i have set up my canoe with rodholders that act almost like small outriggers .......i will be able to troll up to three rods as fast as my arms will allow (seriously stop laughing) so i figure i will need that extra weight of the tin squid as well as the swim it will give the eel....... btw not that it is a very broad subject in the striper world but does anyone have any tips for trolling from a canoe??
Old 03-26-2008, 12:03 PM
The New Guy

ok heres the new version........no snap in the front, just a big split ring.....i down sized the hook which is now on the squid hook and rides in the eels back........i did something similar w/ the little trolling weight in front of it too....i'll put the tubing to stabilize the hook on after i get and eel on there
Old 03-26-2008, 12:05 PM
The New Guy

forgot the pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2931.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	5197