Artificial Eels? - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 03-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Artificial Eels?

Thanks for the info guys. Very informative. Thats very interesting, how stripers don't eat eels yet still kill them Gunny. Jim, are saying sand eels aren't a good soft bate to use by themselves. Also I found some smaller eel lures (around 6 inches) would these baby eels work as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 10:03 PM

Seeker.
Are you chasing Dinks or hunting big fish?
Old 03-09-2008, 10:10 PM
Striper Hunter

Im looking to catch a decent sized fish but Im not looking to fish just for cows. Are you saying the smaller eels will just attract smaller stripers?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2008, 10:56 PM
First Mate

Big bait = Big fish

Bryan
Old 03-09-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Are you saying the smaller eels will just attract smaller stripers?
Not really, I have caught nice fish on 12 inch eels. Im sure the eelmen here will tell you they have caught big fish on smaller eels.
Not to say big stripers dont school but the true giants hunt solo and have been observed hunting in tandem.
Generally its easier to fish for schooling fish with a smaller offering but true giants are lazy and feed less often on larger meals. Conversely the smaller fish with a faster metabolism have a necessity to dine more often.
I dont think there are too many blitzes of 50 pound fish.
I you want to fish eels for cows most of the best anglers cull the biggest eels for the biggest fish.
A surfcaster - casting eels may catch less fish than an angler using smaller baits but they will be quality fish.

Btw - sand eels arent eels
Like Gunny mentioned before there is some speculation that striped bass will crush an eel and kill it rather than eat it for a meal.
Possibly because eels eat striper eggs. ??
Old 03-10-2008, 12:56 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i have come to know that smaller eels will catch smaller and sometimes bigger fish...but in my opinion its more about presentation. however, the bigger the eel the biggger the fish. simply because smaller fish cant inhale a larger eel like a cow can. i know schoolies will nip at the bigger eels, but i think the chance of them getting the whole eel in thier mouth for a good hookset is unlikeley. try using an assortment of eel sizes either live or artificail. soft plastics come in many sizes...you can go from 2"-18" and maybe even bigger. you also have rigging choices to consider when using rubber as well. i agree with what gunny and jim are saying about learning which bait is prevalant in the area you are fishing. i would then decide how you want to approach fishing all together..to eel or not to eel, or when to start and what size to use. i am still somewhat new to this game myself, but from what ive learned from everyone here has been increasing the quallity of the fish i have caught. the more i catch bigger fish..the more i want an even bigger one.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:33 AM
Lunker

I heard from many that 6 to 8 inch eels are the ideal size?? True?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Striper Hunter

It must depend on the ideal striper you are going for. If you want a bigger fish and if its later in the season I bet your eels should be longer than 8" but for spring to catch those schoolies and whatnot thats probably an ideal size. In the early spring eels aren't a prevalent bait. Then agian I might not know what im talking about.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:30 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbasskiller View Post
I heard from many that 6 to 8 inch eels are the ideal size?? True?

That size eel is 10" too small! I dont know where this "stripers dont eat eels" thing came from... if they aint eatin' them, why the hell do they swallow them down to their arse!

Eels are a primary forage all year long... especialy at night, those bass rootin the grass in the flats aint looking for grass shrimp!... they may be attacted to an area because of an influx of squid or herring... but drop a wriggling eel in front of their nose and watch what happens!

Sluggo's, surf hogs and fin s in the larger sizes all work, a little super glue or zap a gap on the hook shank aids in keeping the "eel" in place, I also like to wind a little thread along the hook shank to give the rubber something to cling to... just hook the artificial like you would a real one... fish it weightless if possible, retrieve slowly with a pause and twitch motion, if weight is needed a few strips of solder inserted into the body mid stream can make the bait sink a little faster and add a little more versatility, they arnt as good as the real deal, but... they work pretty darn good..

Jig heads, like a smiling Bills or bullet head can take a soft plastic deep,,, I use these in the mouth of the river when i know the fish are there and plugs or live bait are not an option..again a thread wrapped shaft and a little super glue or zap a gap can keep the bait in place...
Old 03-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Couldn't help it!
Roccus, you're not pullin punches are you?

I try for 14+" on eels. Also look for color variations. Black to light green to be used depending on bottom.

When they die,, Skin, Rig, Salt, Freeze. Killer (at times) in flowing water or dragged. (Just MO)
Old 03-10-2008, 04:55 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOATSUM View Post

Couldn't help it!
Roccus, you're not pullin punches are you?

I try for 14+" on eels. Also look for color variations. Black to light green to be used depending on bottom.

When they die,, Skin, Rig, Salt, Freeze. Killer (at times) in flowing water or dragged. (Just MO)

all this eel talk makes me horny..... I see the same thing year after year, season after season, the general fishing public gets all wound up on matching the hatch, some baits just will be eaten anytime of year, eels fall into this category.. so do squid,herring and mackerel... put one infront of a bass anytime of year and it's chow time..In the fall everyone is peanut bunker happy.... guess what.. they may be eating those tiny little peanuts... but when desert arrives in the form of a 18" eel.. the feed bag switches to gluttony.... kind of like eating all the steak you want and then seeing a banana split.. ya just gots ta have it!

and colors... i like the blond eels best, at least when there is moonlight... nothing fishes the beach better in a full moon than a bleach blond eel!

Enough.. I'm going home to make an eel plug!
Old 03-10-2008, 05:15 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

",,,,,,,better in a full moon than a bleach blond eel!"

Weeell,,,, Sumptin like dat.

Go play with your eel! ()
Old 03-10-2008, 05:16 PM

Thats why it says king of eels under the name.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:21 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Old 03-10-2008, 09:21 PM
First Mate

Just remebered this thread... forget fake eels, re-use your dead eels.

https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ging+dead+eels

As always a great thread by the mighty Roccus... Thanks Roc