Leader/knot Question - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 03-23-2008, 04:30 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Leader/knot Question

Im pretty new to this too and rather than start my own thread i'll ask my question here (if thats ok).... Im going to be plugging 1/2 - 3 ounces (usually around 1 1/2) and ill be using 17# mono line on my 9 foot tica. I am not sure whether to use a steel leader or a monofilament because there are often bluefish around (in the summer/fall) and I used steel last season without any complaints. Should i make the switch to mono shock leader since I recently have been updating my gear or stick with the metal? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2008, 06:10 PM

Thats a question only you can answer for yourself Striker. Do you mind catching bluefish or is your target bass?
Myself i dont use steel leaders anymore. I have a few in the tackle bag but they havent seen any use for a few years. I try to run from the bluefish like the plague but where theres bluefish theres bait.
Dont use your best plugs during a bluefish blitz. I still only use mono here and swivels that dont shine. Or no swivel at all. No hardware. I dont target bluefish at all. If your just after bluefish go with the steel and tins. They dont care but the bass will.
However bass can be caught using steel leaders because Ive done it.
We have huge unbelievably thick and menacing schools of Blue fish to deal with. It makes the prime months for bass challenging to say the least.
I have found circle hooks are a big help using mono when chunking bait for large bass. They are less likely to bite through when hooked in the corner of the mouth when given no slack and the flouro or mono leader has to be at least 60 pounds. Horse the bastids in and get back out to the edges or deeper if you can for bass.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Striper Hunter

I actually dont mind catching blues. They give you a fun workout and are great when the bass are not biting. I just hope I am not repeling the bass with me metal hardware because I do prefer catching bass and they are my primary target. It seems to me you are saying I should stick with the metal. As long as Im not limiting my odds of catching a striper I think I will stay with the metal becuase I would hate to lose a nice topwater or swimmer because of ole razor lips. Thanks for your advice Jim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i don;t think you understood jim, it is a comfort zone we tend to be in when we fish. don;t limit yourself to metals for gods sake! i use a steel leader using "topwater plugs" and i may not get as many bass i get them and it is better than losing that expensive plug. i use a low profile bite guard fly leader attatched with a snap and tied to the fluorocarbon. it is not going to effect the action as much as one would think and safe. using swimmers/darters/diving plugs and bombers-redfins-even shads and jigs wire isn;t the way to go. as sad as it is to say, i dont get all that mad at a bluefish taking topwater but if i am seeing bass and getting devils i get really degenerate and just as evil with them.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:00 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

I use 50# fluorocarbon with a black spro swivel if the blues are around. I have yet to have on bite through.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:55 PM

Sorry striker after rereading my answer i was anything but clear.
Quote:
"I just hope I am not repeling the bass with me metal hardware"
Tins (metals) are great when the forage is slim profile fish like spearing or sand lances. (sand eels) But like I said blues can be a menace.
Blues are attracted to anything shiney so if i want blues ill use any type of metal casting slab / spoon or a potato peeler with a hook.
Old 03-24-2008, 10:55 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by khary23 View Post
I use 50# fluorocarbon with a black spro swivel if the blues are around. I have yet to have on bite through.
where are u fishing? try that here, btw, i am going out for a recon trip in the am. will let you know what i find/hear/catch ()