circle hooks - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-24-2008, 10:21 AM
Striper Hunter

Default circle hooks

ok here is the question if you are fishing chunk bait, on circle hooks, rod in rod holder, if have your drag set tight, in theory the fish should hit the chunk start to swim off and the circle hook will do its job and set in the corner of it mouth, right?

I fish circle hooks but i am starting to get sick of them not working, i keep missing fish, I like the idea that they save fishes lives, but enough is enough

I have a bait runner, bait runner clicked on, fish hits line goes, I start to just reel in an apply steady pressure for the circle hook to set, and no fish time after time, what the #$$^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Pro Staff

Default Re: circle hooks

What size hook are you using?
Old 07-24-2008, 10:56 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Not all circle hook are created equal, some are of poor design.... IMHO, Gamagatsu makes the best hook and the best style....For a 2" square of bait a 7/0-9/0 circle should do the job nicely, I live line Mackerel for Bass,cod and haddock using a 7/0 gami circle, and rarely miss a hook up...I also use strip baits for haddock, when I feel their soft tapping on my bait, I drop the rod for a second to allow them to "mouth" the bait, then lift the rod, when I feel the struggle, I give the rod a quick jab to besure the barb has found flesh, because of their soft mouths, the corner of the mouth hook set of the circle nets me a good deal of fish that normaly would be lost on the way up...

When using circle hooks you must use a larger size than you would a J hook, circles are very efective and save many fish, long liners have been using them for years and some fisheries mandate it...

Try not using the bait runner feature, I suspect the bait is getting deep into the fish and the hook is actualy hooking the bait, allow the fish to hook itself by leaving the bait runner off and the rod spiked or in a rod holder, when the rod is doubled over fight the fish, when using larger baits and burrying the hook in the bait, once the fight is engaged, I often times will set the hook, this is NOT on the inital pick up, but once the fight has engaged, just in case the barb has not penetrated, this is usualy not needed, and the fish has hooked itself.....

Dont give up on circles, they can be an asset to your catch and save the fishery as well...

Tight lines
Roc
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Striper Hunter

thanks for info, it helps and i will try it tonight,also i will say i want to fish circle hooks, i know you love those eels i will say the circle hooks work great on eels drifted on bobber, i rarely miss a fish in that situation, I always use gami's, do you use inline or offset circle, and why
Old 07-25-2008, 11:20 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i found a home with daiichi circles, the 9/0 and 8/0 are huge and i've not tested em on larger fish the hold a considerable amount of bait and as far as the baitrunner reel, well (I STILL HATE THEM) good post roc

Old 07-26-2008, 12:54 AM
Veteran Elite

Had trouble with the circles myself. I'm thinking maybe a bigger size. As far as the baitrunner I have the Thunnus and it kicks ass. I've had it since it came out and it's the only reel I've never serviced. I throw eels, 2-4oz ,plugs, chunck, and live pogies all with the same reel and can't complain. KNOCK ON WOOD
Old 07-26-2008, 09:57 AM
First Mate

I've been using circle hooks for about 6 years. I have baitrunners. I use 7/0 gamagatsu octo circle 100% of the time. I have caught many fish using these. I have also lost a few. I find that the ones I usually lose are the ones that I forget are on circles and try to drive the hook home. It's a hard thing to remember not to rip lips when you get excited. I tend to allow the fish to run longer so they mush up the bait before I try to reel them in so that the hook is no longer buried in the bait.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

here is my point about the baitrunner. you catch more fish but you lose more fish. depending on what bait you are talking about makes a circle hook worthwhile. if it is bunker/mac's/herring/ burying the hook it the meat of the bait will assuredly miss the hit compounded by a baitrunner singing out as if the bait is in her gut and the line gets taught it can easily regurgitate the bait and bye bye. the circle is best used burying it in a clam or squid perhaps. and even then if the barb is not exposed the point has a 50- 50 chance to catch it;s mark as it is desingned to spin and round around the jaw and lips of the fish. if you've caught fish in the gut manner than it is likely she was gut hooked which defeats the purpose.

Old 07-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i saw your post before you deleted it. i am sure it is okay to liveline with them as with the head i count to 3 but in this instance i like the j hook as i can feel the fish run and know she still has it and then close the bail and cross her eyes. it is the feel of the catch which most gets my blood pumping. the live ones i run the circle hook very gingerly through the back as to let me pop the hook off after i know she has him and is moving on with it. if i got a 5/0 i am using 30lb fluoro and a 7 or 8/0 a larger leader in a 50# test. i somehow think the action of the hook should have a line in the same diameter as the hook itself. just my theory anyway which may or may not amount to much but that's how eccentric i have become. go figure

Old 07-27-2008, 10:08 AM

Yeah I was tired, i felt like I wasn't making any sense
Old 07-27-2008, 07:05 PM
NukinFuts

I've tried em all (Gami, Eagle Claw, Mustad, Owner, and many others). I've been using circle hooks for many years, and the best one that I have found that work best for me are Daiichi Circle Chunk 7/0 size. I do use the 5/0 when slinging small chunk, but my go to when throwing large pieces is the 7/0. Great hook set, very good penetration into the fish.