Wellfleet Area-Summer Flyfishing? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 07-03-2008, 07:38 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Wellfleet Area-Summer Flyfishing?

Folks - I'm new to the forum. After a fun spring flyfishing for stripers on the Hudson River (Roundout flats in Kingston on the Hudson), I'm looking forward to doing it on the Cape, near the Wellfleet area. Any suggestions? I know it will be crowded, I'm already planning on returning in the fall. Actually, any suggestions at all would be welcome. I've spent a lot of time freshwater fishing, this whole striper thing is new to me, especially the scale. I'm used to beating my brains out for a couple of 10" trout.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2008, 09:45 AM
swabbie

Default Re: Wellfleet Area-Summer Flyfishing?

I'm not a fly guy but I've been fishing Wellfleet for quite a few summers now. Your best spot is to hike Great Island trail to Jeremy Point (the very tip). You'll find some great spots to fish there. It's a 3 + hour hike though so keep that in mind and in July the horse fly's can be very ferocious. It would be easier to rent a boat and take it to the tip or get a water taxi to drop you off.

A much easier spot is "The Dike". It's a bridge/dam over a tidal creek on Chequesset Neck road on your way to great island. There's a small bridge on the bay side you can fish with a fly rod. The start of the outgoing tide is always the best but keep in mind that it's a creek so the tide is delayed 2-3 hours. Fish the bay side always.

Another good spot, especially at night, dusk, and dawn is the creek that flows under uncle Tim's bridge. I think it's called Duck creek but it's the one that flows out into wellfleet harbor where the boats are. Ask the locals where Uncle Tims bridge is and you'll find it. If you walk along this area, from Tim's bridge towards the harbor, you'll find a number of good fishable spots. Lower tides aren't fishable though (too shallow). Try the area by the old railroad bridge there - I've found some nice bass in there in the morning. There are also a lot of snapper blues. I heard some rich guy bought a house out there recently and is making a stink about owning the land or something when he sees people. If he starts bitching just tell him to go **************** himself. You have the right to fish fowel or navigate below the high tide mark in MA so he's just full of empty threats.

You can also fish duck harbor on a fly if your willing to wade out a lot.

If you want to take a trip to Provincetown, go to Flyers boat rentals and get them to drop you off at the very tip of Ptown. It's great fishing there and you should definetly fish the inner side for Fluke on a fly if you go. Make sure your fly is close to bottom for the fluke.

Let us know how you do and good luck.

Last edited by bostonfisher; 07-07-2008 at 05:27 PM. Reason: changed name of creek
Old 07-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Striper Hunter

Hey Bostonfisher - Thanks for the info. As I've said before, this is the stuff that makes this forum the best. Just received a new 9'10wt. setup from Cabelas that I'll be setting the backing, shockline, and flyline up for vacation. Will definitely let you and others know how I do. BTW, on this water taxi thing, do I have to worry about high tides (i.e. there'll always be land to be found)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2008, 03:46 PM
swabbie

Flyers water taxi isn't tide specific that i know off. It's pretty deep there and there is always land during high tide (it's a beach with a lighthouse). If you want to go fresh water you can pick up trout in Gull pond in Wellfleet as well. Make sure you try the shellfish when you are out there. It's some of the best in the world. My friend saw "Wellfleet Oysters" on the specials board in a fancy reasturant in Hong Kong once. If you end up hiking Great Island you can find oysters on the low tide just on the beach.
Old 07-08-2008, 04:31 PM
Striper Hunter

Be sure to check out the mouth of the Pamet River. Intermediate line mainly sand eel paterns best is 3 hrs out going to low with low being just after dark . Switch to black and red snake flies. And as to the 10" trout - they make great striper bait
<BR>
Buzzards Bay Anglers Club
Old 07-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

pop in at the fly forum and let us know how you did? have fun