The New England Fishery Management Council - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Massachusetts
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Massachusetts Striped bass fishing in Massachusetts

Old 03-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default The New England Fishery Management Council

New England Council to Meet; Apr 4-5 in Mystic, CT
The New England Fishery Management Council will meet April 4-5, beginning at 8:30am each day, at the Hilton Hotel in Mystic, CT. The Council will review and approve a range of essential fish habitat designation alternatives, review preliminary analyses for a groundfish total allowable catch management program, and provide guidance to the Scallop Committee on the development of alternatives. More information on these and other issues on the agenda is provided in the meeting notice. There will also be an opportunity for public comment.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 06:52 AM

The part that hurts is when states over fish their quota and RI who has left over it gets distrubuted to the state who have over fished as not to affect their overall averages. Instead of knocking down their bag limits, size restrictions they take from a state who is doing it right.. that will only hurt the states that over fished in the long run.

I think they determine form a poll who has taken what then average it out for all the fisherman.. hopefully their polled fisherman haven't told fish stories lol
Old 03-22-2006, 07:39 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

i don't think any state is doing it right. but the fishery will thrive under a state by state fishing licence and even though unpopular, it's inevitable. the comm's will take a big hit then and maybe just maybe striped bass will become a game fish as the serious threat of infection in seagoing table fare will hurt a significant number of fish. just my opinion though and something for discussion

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2006, 04:23 PM

Well I think states that over fish their quota should face the penalty and not take the pounds not used in one state to balance everything. If CT & NJ over fish in 2005 and RI not meet their allowed quota in no way should RI pounds allowed to be transfered to the other states just so they do face restrictions, if I have that right. In particular I am speaking about the fluke decission.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

good point, i never really could figure these knuckleheads out. they wing the recreational numbers and count the total allowable catch numbers for season and come up with what is in essence theory. too many googins keeping all the shorties and not getting nailed for it as well

Old 03-23-2006, 07:21 AM

Yeah I just find it so unfair even to those who fish in the states that are over fished. One because your local fish is being overfished and to offset they take from another state that didn't over fish, I would think that the states can only over fish so long before the stocks really show and for how long will the slide numbers and if and when they put restrictions it is ufair for a state that didn't over fish for several years to pay the price when their stocks are ok.

I think the best thing aout RISAA is they are such a strong club that they have some impact on decssions. That is why I always say get involved in your state fishing club just because they are working on you behalf. I know there is other like minded clubs in all areas just take a look at the frint page of RISAA and see all the good the club has done or is doing.
http://www.risaa.org/

Anyway spring is here the run will soon begin.. hopefully RI will post their regs soon
Old 03-23-2006, 07:47 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

gordon colvin (dec) just announced that NY (recreational) fluke regs will be 4 fish at either 18" or 18 1/2" THE PARTY BOAT CAPTAINS MUST LOVE THIS ONE! there is really no alternative, people are depleting the fishery. if half the fishing population adhere to the rule the decision makes sense imo

Old 03-23-2006, 07:54 PM

Just got this in an email from NJ fish and game

The following is also on the DFW Website at http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/new...merflndr06.htm
Additionally, the popular summary sheet of recreational marine regulations is available in PDF format, linked from http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/njregs.htm#fishing

Saltwater anglers should be aware that the rules for the recreational harvest of summer flounder (fluke) have changed. The summer flounder recreational season has changed from May 7 through October 10 to May 6 through October 9 in order for the season to once again start on a Saturday and end on a holiday (Columbus Day). The recreational minimum size will remain at 16?" and the possession limit will remain at 8 fish.

This change was implemented to keep New Jersey in compliance with the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission's management plan for summer flounder. The new rules are aimed at providing adequate protection to fish stocks while at the same time allowing New Jersey's saltwater recreational anglers to participate to the fullest extent possible in the summer flounder fishery.