Moon Effects - Page 2 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 09-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Re: Moon Effects

please elaborate on what you were using ie: bait/plugs/jigs/etc. can't answer you correctly if at all with how you ask questions. when you type a question please look at it and make sure your asking it the right way. and.... as for the bluefish? never ever ever let a bluefish get away!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Official Member

standing on jetty at the mouth of a harbor. casting and dragging using Bomber lure.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:26 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimno1
as for the bluefish? never ever ever let a bluefish get away!!!
because Zim will catch it....

there is much more in play than just the moon and tides... picking one lure and standing on a jetty casting blindly does not make for good odds.. fish need a reason to be there.. bombers are good when the fish are in close feeding on baits such as sand eels.. have you tried live lining an eel.. fishing a pogie head on the bottom... fishing an exact structure like a rock pile or mussel shoal... moon and tides put you in favorable conditions to have better sucess.... fish when you can..make your presentation to an area you feel confident holds fish at that time... and your odds will change... no one but zim can catch fish sitting at a computer .. LMAO ( private joke)
Old 09-21-2009, 11:39 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

flattery will get you nowhere..
i still won't kiss your arse like the minions do.
however, the NEW MOON bass on the fly made me wanna "well, this is a family oriented site so i will refrain"
when i catch your fish sitting here i feel the same way....
hey roc? you could prolly catch a bigger one if ya just troll that eel along the bank on the left side of the river this time.. okay, now these three you got were mine so go and get your own fish as i'm not that greedy... lmfao..... that night on the phone was funny. the kayaker, the fish on while talking, the whole conversation. nuttin like interactive fishing.. if i had the bread i would have a live feed off the beach or yer boat and have video conference with others online as well. it's something i have been dying to do but zim's champagne taste and beer pocket just don't cut it.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:34 PM
Official Member

Smile Re: Moon Effects

Regarding some of what you said, "Moon phase combined with tides I'm sure creates many scenarios"

If you go to the "same" location to fish regularly and you were to go during the same moon phase every time, the tide will always be the same there since the moon phase controls the tide. So for example if you go there and its high tide at say 10:00pm it will always be high tide at 10:00Pm regardless of the date.
Old 10-02-2017, 10:14 AM
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadsOrTails View Post
Regarding some of what you said, "Moon phase combined with tides I'm sure creates many scenarios"

If you go to the "same" location to fish regularly and you were to go during the same moon phase every time, the tide will always be the same there since the moon phase controls the tide. So for example if you go there and its high tide at say 10:00pm it will always be high tide at 10:00Pm regardless of the date.
Sorry bro, but this is just false.... look at any reputable tide chart.

For example @ my location:
October 5th,2017 full moon = 8:04am high tide
November 4th,2017 full moon = 8:24am high tide
December 3rd,2017 full moon = 7:05am high tide (Daylight savings time change)
January 2nd, 2018 full moon = 7:42am high tide
January 31st, 2018 full moon = 7:29am high tide
March 2nd, 2018 full moon = 8:01am high tide
March 31st, 2018 full moon = 8:41am high tide
April 30th, 2018 full moon = 9:03am high tide
May 30th, 2018 full moon = 9:22am high tide

etc., etc.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:40 AM
Official Member

You post was a while back so thanks for the interest, I didn't know if you would see my reply. I am new to this site. (75 yrs old) You are correct in a way, its not always 'exactly' the same time each time however its close enough to plan a trip if you want to fish a certain tide say hi tide etc. What I am saying is that you can count on that if you go there on full moon it won't be low tide. In you example the range is 3/4 hours each way off center. When I plan trips that will last a week or so I always go to a few spots that all generally in the same area so in advance I can pick dates that get me into the ball park for say high tide around 7pm, 8pm, 9pm etc without having to check tide charts, I just check what the moon is during that time. Different strokes I guess. If I really need to know 'exactly' what the time is to the minute on any given night I could check the tide chart at that time. My buddy always second guesses me. My main point is that what is not generally known is that the moon controls the tide at any given spot and on full moons for example it never be high tide one time, 1/2 down another time, 1/3 up another time or low tide at another time. The only chance of seeing weird things in that regard is severe winds.The differences you show in your example, ie 1 1/2 hours spread are due to the fact that from month to month there may not be an 'exact' full moon sometimes since every full moon is not directly overhead at the exact same time. This is due to every changing lineup of moons cycle around the earth in combination with earth rotation. Each has there own cycle. If you check some moon phase chart web sites that show pictorials for a moon phase you will see that on certain months there is no exact full moon. Check out this web site.

http://www.moonconnection.com/moon_p...calendar.phtml

For Oct 2017 its hard to tell which day is actually full moon. The 5th and the 6th look about the same, so real full moon is somewhere between those two days. For Sep however its easier to see that full moon falls on the 6th.

Cap

My buddy says I obsess with the moon, just get your line in the water.