help with rod and reel setup - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 04-22-2011, 06:58 AM
Official Member

Default help with rod and reel setup

Before I ask my question, figured I'd start out by saying I have no striper experience. I'm moving to Virginia early this summer so I'm interested in hitting up the Chesapeake to change that. I'm looking to get two rod/reels...one spinning and one conventional on a $400 budget. I was wondering if anyone could suggest two good versitile setups that could be used for live bait but also for other situations. Would also appreciate help selecting the right size and line type.

I'm still new to selecting the right set up for certain situations, I do most of my fishing with ugly sticks and cheaper reels for flathead cats (up until now I haven't been able to invest to much money into gear). I'll be hitting up the James River for some trophy blue cats, so whatever recommendations would have to hold up to that as well.

I should mention that I've been getting into kayaking, so most of my fishing here on out will be from that route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 09:30 AM
First Mate

Default Re: help with rod and reel setup

Are these rod and reels for the Yak
Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Official Member

They would be, forgot to mention that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 08:29 AM
First Mate

There's a couple of ways to go1st intercontinental ugly stick 6'6"or 7" with a diawa sweepfire 4000 spin set up.Inexpensive pole around 40$ reel i've seen at 15$.Not expensive but i been using a set up like this for a couple of years.2nd set up st croix 7' triumph around 80$ and diawa capricorn 3500 i got at dicks on sale for 45$ normally 150$.Don't fish from a yak so im not really sure this is what your looking for but i use these set ups on my boat to plug with and bucktail.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Official Member

With that budget your possibilities are extensive for Bass. Here is my recommendation that will be on the higher side of that budget but will get you more years and more species if you choose to do so. I am from the mindset that I try to do it right the first time (too expensive to repeat).

Conventional reel - TiCA Striper LE , cost is about $125. Easy operation, minimal birds nests. Penns work as well but are on the bigger side IMHO.
Spinning - I like the Quantum Cabo PT 40 or 50 based upon your rod selection. These reels also double as my Albacore and Bonito reels.

Rods - 6'6 to 7'. In a Kayak, you want a short enough conventional rod to effectively land fish with bait or jigging. TiCa, Contour, Ugly sticks all work well and fall on the lower budget side ($100 or less). Just keep in mind the hardware. I have had cheeper rods (quantum Redfish rods ($40) that have great blanks but the guides broke early). I liked the blanks so much that I am having Crafty One Customs redo the rod with better hardware.
Spinning rods can go longer obviously because you need distance to cast but I still found I use the 7' alot because I can get good enough distance and still land fish. Look for a rod with a stiff backbone and light tip. You can get a thousand different responses but ultimately, it is going to come down to what you are most comfortable with regarding casting/fishing all day. Support your local tackle shop and go through their inventory. Ask to pair your rod/reel and see how it feels in your hands. I prefer light rods especially out of a kayak. If it is a big fish it is just going to pull you around anyway! Enjoy the ride. Sorry for the long winded answer but you have so many choices with this one!
Old 04-23-2011, 10:27 AM
First Mate

Support your local tackle shop.Well said,if you have one i would hope to think they could help you with your quest.Good luck,there is plenty of experienced people here that can answer any questions you have about fiahing& tackle.Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Striper Hunter
Pro Staff

I would-
Spinner-Shimano Stradic 5000
Conventional-AbuGarcia whichever model you like,make sure it's got a clicker

Most store bought rods will have lowest grade hardware but my preferance would be AllStar Rods/ Starrlite series, good backbone and light tip as was mentioned. 7'-8' When the guides go just replace them with Fuji Alconite!