Blind Plugging - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic.
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers 101 - The Beginners clinic. Saltwater and freshwater surfcasting. Plugging, Bait dunking and boating

Old 07-09-2009, 12:45 PM

Default Blind Plugging

If your fishing a rocky area and there is no visible signs of fish feeding. How do you pick your plug. How can you find out what bait fish are in the area. I know in Maine Mackerel, shad and herring are local bait fish but not sure if they are around all season. Should I just try all three patterns and maybe a Slug-go or stick to one single plug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Young salt

Default Re: Blind Plugging

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllNightJay View Post
If your fishing a rocky area and there is no visible signs of fish feeding. How do you pick your plug. How can you find out what bait fish are in the area. I know in Maine Mackerel, shad and herring are local bait fish but not sure if they are around all season. Should I just try all three patterns and maybe a Slug-go or stick to one single plug.

Whats the deal Jay my man, when we going fishing again?? My daughter is going on vacation in Mass for 3 1/2 weeks starting Saturday so I'm gonna have oodles of time on my hands, weeknights, weekends and the like. I got ur #, I'll give ya a jingle sometime soon.

As far as answering ur question, YES would be the simple answer to all. It's never a bad idea to have a variety of plugs available no matter where ur fishing as stripers can be fickle as hell sometimes. Stick to the basic principles of plugging using lighter colored/brighter lures (white/silver/spinnerbaits) with a faster retrieve during the day. Blue/green/olive/bubblegum over white all can be very effective, pencil poppers and needlefish are two of my favorites followed by a shiny silver like a Deadly Dick or Kastmaster. If ur fishing rocks at night (I'm assuming you're talking Hills Beach/Biddeford Pool) try darker patterns, (black on grey seems to be popular) be they shad, mackerel/herring pattern or more along the lines of a sluggo or Fin S. At dusk as the sun is setting, blurple (blue/purple) seems to be the color of choice, not so much from personal experience, but on the recommendation of many others on this site. Good luck out there man, let me know when ur ur heading out this weekend, maybe we can meet up.

StriperHyper ~ Will
Old 07-09-2009, 01:54 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Pick you plug according to the part of the water collum you plan to fish.. match the size to the size of the local bait or throw something bigger.. big bait= big fish.. You must take weather conditions and terrain into consideration when makeing a choice.

At night Black, blue ,green and shades of grey.. during daylight ours, white and yellows...gray if it is over cast.

start by working the top with a surface swimmer (by night) or a popper by day... if the terrain allows, switch to a deeper swimming plugs ( of the same size) that probe down a few feet....

If that fails go deep ( if you can) with a deep swimmer or a jig...
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 03:14 PM

Thanks for the replies, I like the idea of working from the top down I will try that tonight. Striper Hyper I'll be out Fri night I think it's a 3am probably hit a beach for a change. Let me know man, always up for some fishing.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:48 PM
First Mate

I have always heard that in these cases you should start with a bucktail about 1.5 ounces.