Need a Rod - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Saltwater Tackle Shop
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Saltwater Tackle Shop Product testing. Terminal tackle and gear forum. This forum is here to help the new and experienced angler in making good decision's when purchasing new gear. Talk about rods, reels, lures etc. here. List tackle or gear that you have experience with so that we may encourage others to try. Index of tackle dealers.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:10 AM

Default Need a Rod

I have a big Penn 850 spinning reel. I know it is overkill for some small bass but its all I got. I plan to get a Shimano baitrunner next year. So I need a rod for casting from shore with the Penn 850 and 40lb Power Pro.
I want to be able to throw a good 6 oz weight or so and a chuck of shad or whatever.
What rod size should I get?What brand ,weight and so forth.
Do I need a Reel long one like 12'? Or can i get buy with a 8 or 9' rod.
I am gonna be fishing the Hudson near Fishkill
Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Lunker

Default Re: Need a Rod

I think a 10 footer would be fine tica dolphin, or a tsunami surf, okuma solaris surf. I would get a MH rod up to 4 oz weight. and I would use 20 lb test mono. but the real guy to ask is striperjim send him an IM
Old 03-12-2008, 09:40 PM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

Yea, a 10'er should work. But I have 11' and 12'ers as well. It depends how far you want to cast.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:57 PM

I think a 10 footer is fine like Jimmy says.
If your casting you dont want to go too heavy at least I dont. Some of the more expensive rods are lightweight even though they're rated heavier.
I use a 2 to 6 for bait and a 4 to 12 - 12 foot heaver but thats for distance and bait exclusively.

and rods in the 1 to 4 oz range to plug with.

Saltwater Rod Manufacturers
How much do you want to spend?
E glass -- Where toughness, durability and cost are factors
S glass -- casting rods for light line and lures
graphite -- the next step up from s glass but more prone to breakage than fiberglass
composite -- combination of glass and graphite

Action
Extra Fast: Flex in the upper 1/4 of the rod blank
Fast: Flex in the upper 1/3 of the rod blank
Moderate: Flex in the upper 1/2 of the rod blank
Slow: Flex is from the lower 1/3 of the rod blank to the tip
Power Ratings
Ultralight
Light
Medium
Medium Heavy
Heavy

Under 50 bucks. Manufactured overseas.
Shakespeare ugly stick
Silistar
Ande
Eagle claw
Shimano
Okuma
Quantum
Penn

Over 50 bucks
Commonly referred to as el cheapo heaver rods. Manufactured overseas
Tsunami Rods
Tica rods
Daiwa
Fenwick

> $100
Lamiglas rods
St Croix
Breakaway Usa
G - Loomis
All Star
Cal Star Rods
Rain Shadow
Anyfishanywhere Rods
Old 03-12-2008, 10:56 PM
First Mate

A 10 to 11 foot rod something like Penn Pro Guide series, Tsunami, Lami Surf King, and Tica Dolphin.

The Okuma Solaris surf rods are way too heavy.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:22 AM

Thanks for all help guys.
I wil be on the look out for one of the rods mentioned,
Old 04-27-2008, 11:45 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

I agree about the solaris. I would not recommend the okuma solaris. It has a weak upper section, and they are heavy lol. I tested a 10 footer when they came out several years ago, it was a miserable experience lol. I like some of the Okuma reels, but definitely cannot recommend this rod.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:49 PM

This is from a post I put up a few years ago. I think this would be the best possible rod choice you could make to go with that behemoth reel of yours.

FYI, I still fish it occasionally when I want to throw big weights and bait and don't want to risk destroying one of my good sticks.

--------------------------

Re: Budget Bait Stick I did a review a few years ago on what I still think is the best low budget heaver you can get. You might have to work a bit to track one down as they were marketed to the west coast sturgeon fishermen.

Since doing the review I've caught a lot of fish with these rods to the mid 20# range casting 8 oz and big baits and they have been absolutely flawless both in casting ability and fish fighting ability.

---------------------

I received two Okuma Celilo rods to demo, one conventional and one spinning and had them out for a go over the weekend.

Specs:

CE-S-1102 (Spinning) and CE-C-1102 (Conventional)
11'0", MH action Sturgeon Rod, line wt. 15~40, lure wt. 4~16, 2 piece.
Available on-line for $59.99 shipped.

These were designed for bottom bouncing for west coast salmon and "kerplunking" for sturgeon.
For beach applications these rods are outstanding. They cast with a medium fast action with the top third of the rod loading very nicely

The top end lure rating of 16 is based on 'kerplunking", not casting but rather dropping a large weight and bait directly into a race in rivers.
My initial expectations were that these rods were going to most resemble pool cues. I was more than pleasantly surprised. The graphite construction makes them surprisingly light for their size, the tip is much softer than I expected and the butt is strong enough to power in anything we might see off the sand.
I'd like to report on their fish fighting abilities but the best I could do this weekend were skates and horseshoe crabs (which the rods handled quite well ). I'll try again this week.

The blank has a sweet spot at 6 to 8 and bait and the conventional, paired with a 7000 C3 and 65# Stealth, can heave a bait a long way.

Although I would consider the highest and best use for the spinning rod to be throwing bait with a baitrunner type reel, the rod paired with a Penn 704 and 30# Stren Superbraid was more than capable of throwing larger wood, pencil poppers and jigs. The tip is just soft enough to give poppers and pencils decent action and it's sensitive enough to give you a good feel for your jig ticking the bottom. In a pinch it can also throw Bombers but can definitely be considered overkill for that. While not, for it's size, a very heavy rig (I'll post the weight of the rod when I get a chance to put it on a scale), it's certainly not an Arra and I don't think you would want to spend hours plugging with this rod.

Although I'm very impressed with the blank, I think the quality of the guides could be improved. According to the Okuma rod designer they are proprietary to the OEM manufacturer who is building these rods under the Okuma name. They are certainly not fuji's and look like the older style of Pac Bays - stamped steel with a plastic ring holding the ceramic ring in place.

The grips on these sturgeon rods are different than the Celilos shown on Okumas website. The website has them pictured as cork ring with a trigger grip reel seat on the conventional. All of the Celilo series come like that except these two models. These come with standard reel seats and foam grips. The first thing I did upon unpacking these rods was to strip off the bottom foam grip and replace it with cork tape. For me this 20-minute job really improved the way the rods fit my hands.

As a backup to your Lami's, a second bait rod when you are using two on the beach, as a rod to loan to a guest or as a first rod for someone thinking about getting into the sport I would absolutely recommend these as a solid, good quality rod and at $59.99 shipped, an unbelievably outstanding bargain.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Striper Hunter

Sorry to revive such an old thread on my 1st post but I just wanted to ad my 2cents and to say thank you to all the sponsors, pro's, supporters and stupid question askers (if it wasn't for them-I'd have to ask). Everything you need to know is right here.
Although I've been fishing for about 45 years (boat) I just got back into surf about 2 years ago.
I have a Tsunami Trophy 12'XH w/ Penn 750 but I need a second rod. Was looking for a cheap caster to go with my yard sale Penn mag 10 and I think I found it with the Okuma Celilo 11'. Took receipt last Tuesday and out to the football field I went after about 10 practice casts I was hitting a consistant 70-75 yards with 5 oz. Feels like a very serviceable rod at a great price. Good looking too!
BTW the on-line catalog sez 4-6 oz but the rod is stamped 4-16 ozs. I called and spoke to both Customer Service and Sales but neither knew which it was? The base is thicker than my Tsunami but the tip has better action. I'll let you know for sure in the Fall.
Thanks!!!