Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

Ice

Tags
ice
6K views 11 replies 2 participants last post by  natenlogansdad 
#1 ·
The banks have been icing up lately. Won't be long until it'll be all the way across. Gonna be cold this week. I may need to stop fishing soon.

#2 ·
Glad to see you were giving it a go this winter. I have seen some icing on the coves and piers and one day there was good coating of paper thin ice all the way across the river but I don't think the main river will get cover in ice this year not in philly area anyway which is a plus for us. I'm already itching to put a bass on my line and it's only been a few weeks. Can't wait til it starts weather permitting I'll be out on the first.

#4 ·
Man with this weather this week day time temp today presently 17f at 3:30pm and only 2 days over next 10 projected to be above freezing temp of 32 that river will almost certainly get iced over and the mountains have been getting more snow so Another late run is highly probable.

#6 ·
Yeah it's happening. At sugar house last night you could skip across the river on the ice flow and like I said with this weeks temps it's basically a done deal that the river will freeze over. Sucks cause I really thought like I said above we were going to have a bigger push of bass further up River then normal from the salinity level being higher but without a doubt the levels will be lower then average and will keep the majority of the spawners more south then north again this year. I'll be puttin miles on the boat I'm sure this year. I was starting to get pumped and now I'm back in winter mode looking at the river thinking my first won't come in March this year. Damn u old man winter lol

#8 ·
Yup yup sounds like a plan. I'll deff be down there alil more especially early on in the season. Just shoot me a text sometime. I'm pretty sure I still have Ya number logged in my old phone but I've lost a few contacts for some reason probably from replacing so many iPhone this past year. We'll get at'em I've already started studying that area and south in preparation.

#10 ·
Still ice in the river in philly and I'll get a good look at the upper River on Sunday but I'm sure that has plenty ice especially the ponds and lake connected to the river. The river won't see any bass in March. :( gues im hitting the bay and beaches next week

#11 ·
Essington this week was looking better. Still plenty of ice building up against piers and docks in the direction of wherever the tide is flowing towards but at least you can see water flowing in the middle of the river. Went over the Commadore Barry about a half hour ago and saw the channel was looking good and all of the ice was out of the current. It's getting better but I'm with MU?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.