Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2014 Big D reports

83K views 265 replies 36 participants last post by  natenlogansdad 
#1 ·
Happy New Years to everyone here on 24/7. Hope this year brings a great bite for us all.
First report: today the river is covered in a sheet of ice. Hope the fingerlings of the last spawning season make it through the cold. Again the river is cover in ice stay home or hit the beaches of SNJ like I will be doing on Thursday.

Attachments

See less See more
#242 ·
We did the d&b thing. Pretty cool. It was the north side docks though. $15. Fished a bit on the way back. Marked a few. Few hits, but nothing. Didn't have fresh bait, frozen left overs from last weekend. I am sure fresh bunker would have done it. Gonna try again early Monday. Enjoy the weekend all, Chuckles

#243 ·
Fished dod on bunker this morning. Catfish. Big catfish. Tried different depts same results. Went north near Olman's Creek, and picked up a 21" striper right away and catfish after that. Went further north to Little Tinicum. Tide was turning. Nothing on the south end. Went on the west side right in the middle. Got a nice 10.2 lb catfish with a nice blue tint to it. If the cats were edible, I'd be sitting pretty for a few weeks. Good luck out there!

#244 ·
Made last minute plan on Sunday to run to SIC because someone got me all excited about going so I swindled my way down and threw plugs off the beach and got 2 bass 26" & 27" went back down again this morning to catch sunrise but got down late so we hit the bay and got (lost count) 6/9 fluke 2 bass both under 28" snd 1 blue fish no weakies even tho we targeted them specifically (in hopes for the back bay slam) in locations they were found days earlier by friends of mine. Finished the day back on the beach throwing poppers at sunset with no takers all in all great 3 day mini vacation (river, surf, bay and back to surf to finish it out) a buddy was off shore and brought me back some bluefin and yellow fin so I'll be snacking all week. Might make one last trip on the river then switching over to the salt.

Also if anyone happens to be in the bay around ocean city and sea isle and happens to pick up a 7' Penn attached to a penn spin fisher reel there's a reward up on that setup. Forgot to mention prob due to lack of sleep lol but around marker 322 I was jigging the drop off at the bend I reeled in and sat on the rod in the holder (left my 2oz spro all white with a whole 1-2lb bluefish belly on it) dangling maybe a foot in the water turned around to grab another set up to jig and all I heard was a splash a thud then a snap in the blink of an eye and I turn look and there goes my rod with rod holder attached I tried to cast at it as it disappeared with no luck looked down to see the rod holder (those heavy plastic adjustable ones with the locking part on it) snapped. Because I didn't want to invest hour or more dragging heavy metal around the bottom and the end result still be the same and I'd lose valuable fishing time so after a few passes drifting and trolling and casting to snag it I stayed in general location for awhile hoping to hit it but eventually I moved on not wanting to get even more pissed off as the reel ment a lot to me and has put in a lot of hours and pulled a lot of fish off the beach river bays and ocean. RIP to that one tho it was the first reel I bought on the first surf trip I went on specifically targeting striped bass and the first trip 3rd cast was a good trip RIP to that one.

Attachments

#253 ·
For all those wondering about the striper bite on the big D just check out Brinkmans Bait and tackle weekly fishing report. There's plenty of fish around to lower you happy and Brinkmans has everything fresh for dem strippers oh I mean stripers lol

#254 ·
It's been dry on here I see but I went out And hit the river the other day/night (sat) for a few hours and to my surprise the bass were biting good. Fished with clams and live perch and we ended with 14 bass 18"-25" in about 3 hours all bass hung in 35' water. Non-stop action.
Then ran to the beach later that night in SIC plugged 2 bass 26" & 31" then in the morning (sun) hit the back bay and we got around 35-40 fluke from 15"-20" 5 were keepers and we threw back I don't know how many 17" fluke pretty much the majority were 17". Most were hung on the single gold hook and minnow trailer above the buck tail spro jig. And by chance we got 2 bass both around 15-18" (didn't measure) on buck tail.
All in all it was a good day and a half of fishing. Catch'em up.

#257 ·
Dam Mu. I would have done another all nighter with yah. I haven't been out in forever it seems like, but I am going to try for tomorrow morning. Anyway all of my 24.7 people, me and Mu made it in the In Fishermen Magazine with a cool story about the cow we caught way back on that Saturday night before Memorial Day. Here is a link to the article. See Yah out there guys, Chuckles

#265 ·
Hope all my friends on here have been having a good fall run. The surf has been either on fire or dead no in between. And the ocean off SIC has been blazing hot for several weeks and fish are still holding right inside the lumps. If you haven't winterized your boat noes your chance to get out and troll up some pigs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.