Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2014 Big D reports

83K views 265 replies 36 participants last post by  natenlogansdad 
#1 ·
Happy New Years to everyone here on 24/7. Hope this year brings a great bite for us all.
First report: today the river is covered in a sheet of ice. Hope the fingerlings of the last spawning season make it through the cold. Again the river is cover in ice stay home or hit the beaches of SNJ like I will be doing on Thursday.

Attachments

See less See more
#175 ·
All u need to know about the run starting or ending is water temps. Bass begin spawn at 55 and will continue until 65 and will begin to exit at the same temp of 65. Some race up spawn and leave some come up slower stay eat then leave some come find plenty food to keep them around and suitable water temps and will make the river their home. The run has yet to hit its peak and with water temps still in their comfort range don't expect the river to empty out for at least a few more weeks one year I was still catching migrators in June and I suspect the same thing this year.

#174 ·
No way the run is over, but I just hope that the river cleans up enough to fish this weekend. I got my brother and a friend from work heading out with me Saturday around 10 from the arsenal. P.S., have we all switched to channel 68. I was out last Sunday for a while and I didn't really hear anything. I will yell out on 68 when I launch and I hope to fish from the arsenal south throughout the day. Hope to hear from you all then, Chuckles

#186 ·
I went to the DOD for the first time this morn. Got lots of hits early but nothing to hook. Lil bastards kept steeling by bloods. Switched to eels but still nothing. Water was still too murky. Weather changed too. I even had someone's dog steal my bait...it was on a spit log. Not the best day for fish. Last Saturday morn got 4 lil guys under the CCB. I think I like the DOD better. Anyone having any luck? Plus I finanlly found Raccoon Creek.

#188 ·
I was able to get out Thursday night south of the CBB, couple small perch , 2 small cat fish, 1 5.5lb catfish and an 11lb catfish. No stripers.

Went out yesterday, Saturday. Talk about dirty water, chocolate milk. Debris everywhere. Literally saw whole trees floating down the river! Between dodging all that we got a few perch and 2 small stripers. All on bloods.

#189 ·
Just wrapped up fished from 12:30pm - 7pm only got 5 cats one 14lbs in 40' of water. The wind was brutal again and forced me to fish the pa side duckin behind tree lines had one decent runner but never hooked up. Heard of really good sized fish caught this morning. And I was marking really big fish all day one fish kept coming in and out of my screen jus tormenting me. Hope to get out earlier tomm. Catch'em up.

Attachments

#193 ·
I wanted to share this with you guys, it was cool....I do not have a boat, so I got a guide service for my Stepdaughters birthday...It was pretty cool....We caught a bunch of Shad, and a Huge Catfish, no Stripers.
She has a huge female Shad on she can't get it in, so she hands the rod off to me, watch what happens as I'm fighting the fish for her

#197 ·
The fact that I didn't get out on Monday is irking me still. Smh and by the looks of it I may not hit the river this weekend either because the surf is calling me especially when a good friend just shot a text that the first keeper of the year was reported caught out the surf 37" (by him) today. I haven't even really gotten started yet this year and I'm not slated to hit SIC beaches until may 23rd and I'm already thinking about my beaches. That doesn't bode well for river fishing. When my first love (surf) comes a calling I come a running. Might do a after work night trip to the suds this week to cure my ills so I can hit the river this week. gone a hit Saltlife up see if he's wit it! Catch'em up

Here's a pic of my friend, Tim, the owner of taco shells by the shore on landis ave :flyfish:

Attachments

#200 ·
Hi all. I'm new to the site and have fished the river for the last 8 years with many successful years and fish up to 40". I've been out 8 times this season with only one 25" bass caught on fresh bunker(in my boat, but not me)2 weeks ago at the Rancocas. I've fished various spots from Oldmans Creek to Neshaminy Creek with fresh bunker, bloods, clams and live white perch with a haircut. I'm planning on trying one more time tomorrow and I'd really really like to catch something for a change. I'm thinking of going south of CBB. Any thoughts as to where or how deep or is it a waste of time at this point. Mu Fish talked about jigging the channel. That sounded interesting. I assume diamond jigs.

#201 ·
Got out on a boat today, fished 6 hours got 4 catfish, 1 Shad a ton of herring hitting shad spoons ...let me tell ya how upset I am that we couldn't just immediately live line Herring) That damn Herring Law has to be changed! The herring were popping all over the surface. We were Targeting Shad with 2 rods and Stripers with two Rods....I had numerous run offs, hooked into 1 real good fish got me in the rocks and got off. The conditions were perfect for bass. Overcast, slight breeze, water temp 58....Saw people in a boat Shocking fish and doing tests, not sure what that was all about.

Honestly i'm not shocked we didn't do better where we were fishing, there was a Live Buffet there for the Stripers between Herring and Shad, why hit a chunk of Bunker? Well, that's all I got fellas. Oh, I was fishing north of Bensalem today.

#204 ·
Today was a picture perfect day for bass on the river just basing that on a conditions bases only but it had to been a ton of bass caught today the air pressure took nice drop quickly overcast all day mainly slight breeze perfect temps just sitting here waiting for the reports to rain in ..... Gone try get out tomorrow and Sunday this week

#205 ·
Fished just south and north of the tycony today- manger a handful of perch, a cat fish and a small striper (small like largemouth bass dinner small- lol). Nice day out so I can't complain, not too many boats out. Caught on bloods, had some nice hits on bunker, one little run off it but didn't hook him. Can't seem to catch a striper of any size , hopefully next time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.