Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2014 Big D reports

83K views 265 replies 36 participants last post by  natenlogansdad 
#1 ·
Happy New Years to everyone here on 24/7. Hope this year brings a great bite for us all.
First report: today the river is covered in a sheet of ice. Hope the fingerlings of the last spawning season make it through the cold. Again the river is cover in ice stay home or hit the beaches of SNJ like I will be doing on Thursday.

Attachments

See less See more
#91 ·
Fished yesterday incoming in one stretch in mainly 20-22mph winds and the river continued to build through the day had plenty hits but couldn't connect except once only for it to come undone. Got really bad in that stretch so we pulled the boat head north alil and dropped in at another location to duck behind a point hoping for calmer waters. Slightly calmer but the winds kept the river covered with 3 footers some bigger at times. At this location we managed 3 bass all small with the biggest being 15" and again had a better bass on only to run into a huge tangle he ran across all the lines and after a few minutes gone broke off at the main line. Fresh Bunker and clams both caught.

On a side note yes plenty shad are up river but I only saw a handful of shad up the creek I monitor and no herring have showed up yet. Talking to a friend of mine from Delaware state who runs a surf fishing guide service all of the larger bass are still south of Delaware beaches and have yet to push past Delaware to enter the river.

Water temps this day climbed to 52f and 55 is the beginning of the spawn so I'd expect a major push of herring and bass here after this full moon which would be right on track with previous years. Hoping next week gives me better conditions.

Attachments

#95 ·
Good morning guys, was out looking at the river this morning trying to decide where to drop the boat in.
Frankford Arsenal has the floating docks in but be prepared to move tons of debris. It was high tide when I was there and water very high. From the top of the ramp to where the water cleared down the ramp there was a 3 to 4 ft pile of debris across the ramp.
At Linden Ave the tide was up over the cement structure on the south side of the ramp and lots of debris.
Went up to Croyden and looked at both ramps, one on the river and the other at All Seasons and they were much better especially All Seasons.
Reports have been good and heard from some friends of mine on charters out of Cape May that they are catching and some real nice fish as well..
See you on the river tomorrow guys.. Be safe and have fun.. I will monitor ch 17 also.

John

#115 ·
Was out Saturday and ran south past the navy yard. Caught catfish and 2 small stripers on bunker. A lot of guys fishing from shore on the jersey side but didn't see anything happening. I had 55 degrees water temp on my recorder.
Didn't see much action from other boats in the area either.
Looking to get out again next weekend. Good luck guys!!!!

#117 ·
Struck out today 1 cat couple perch and not much action inbetween heard of some decent fish caught from station this morning and DOD. Saw 10 boats in my area and didn't see one fish caught all day. Winds again hampered the efforts. Be back out tomorrow for another 10-12 hours. Perch were out in force so bloods are off the bait list for me. Banksbully we r 0-2 one of these trips we gone get it done.

#120 ·
Man these water temps keep dropping on the beach these water temps wouldn't effect fishing one bit but here on the river a 4 degree drop in 2 days at this time of year can easilly shut down a bite. On my way to Brinkmans then off to the river. Catch'em up

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.