Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2014 Big D reports

83K views 265 replies 36 participants last post by  natenlogansdad 
#1 ·
Happy New Years to everyone here on 24/7. Hope this year brings a great bite for us all.
First report: today the river is covered in a sheet of ice. Hope the fingerlings of the last spawning season make it through the cold. Again the river is cover in ice stay home or hit the beaches of SNJ like I will be doing on Thursday.

Attachments

See less See more
#62 ·
Can't wait to get out again tomm
But cold nights freak me out before a spring trip water temps bound to drop a half degree and sometimes that's the difference in a good trip and a ok one hoping this pic is a problem I won't have

Just realized we r 5 pages deep and not a fish shown time to put some presure on the Big D

Attachments

#63 ·
Hit the river 10am fished until 7:30pm lots of different spots used every bait (clam, bloodworm, bunker, salt herring) no striper. Did manage one catfish and lots of Lil nibble hits had one decent hit but my leader must have had a major nick in it cause it broke. Water still feels to cold and river is still dirty.

Attachments

#66 ·
View attachment 18402

Does this count? Caught a bunch of shorts today. Big ones on the way?

Just realized we r 5 pages deep and not a fish shown time to put some presure on the Big D
[/QUOTE]

thanks for the pick at least u let me know u out there and the eggs from last year is hungry lol but yes it def count the bigs r out there keep the posting up where was u out

#68 ·
The fish winter in the bay dormant. In fact the gill net season in DE bay and Chesapeake is from December to February. These are mostly migratory fish that come up and stage before spawning. I used to gill net in the Chesapeake and the fish would move in in January most years.

Havent potted a single eel yet. Set last week and checked them on a 4 day set.

#70 ·
Looks like fairly good conditions, with temperatures in the high 60s and light winds. I hear they are calling for rain Friday night, so that may be something to watch out for.

Water temps are still hovering in the mid to high 40s though. Don't think they will be up this way (Trenton) until the first week of May. If anyone else has a different thought process feel free to weigh in!

#72 ·
Hey all, I am finally getting out this weekend. Is the ramp clear and docks in at the Frankford Arsenal or at Peace Valley. Both are very close to me, but I would still hate to make the trip just to find them a mess. Thanks and ps, be on channel 17 when you all are out. A few of us did that last year and we would share fish location info out on the water. Worked ok, but I would love all of us to be on board with this. I have no issues sharing some good hot spots, if I find them that is. Well, hope to see or hear from you all this weekend, channel 17, Chuckles

#73 ·
Went to the pier by CBB on Sunday for a couple hrs. While I was there not her guy got a small striper on clam around 11" I'd guess. I got nota. Not even a catfish.
We chatted for a while and we swapped numbers for reports and a future trip on the boat. He texted me yesterday that he got 4 more shorts from a boat by PHL, the largest being 16".

#83 ·
Just wrapped it up for the day. So after a brief motor issue, that had me pull the boat when it wouldn't start was about to run to phila boat but I dry ran it and just to much gas in the line. So we dropped back in and fished 10:30am-8:00pm we managed 4 between 18"-22" all caught on fresh bunker. Drifted eels for the first few hours today missing 1 and dropping another. Anchored up once the tide turn wind against tide 18mph or better whipping up the river made it tuff plenty bites had one good flury of action and we got all 4 in a 2 hour stretch step pop grabbing the biggest we dropped another and missed 4 solid runs. Didn't move much and ran a constant chum line (3-5 lil pieces of bunker every 2 minutes like clockwork plus 3 whole hanging in the water) for 5 hours straight calmer winds might have given up better results. Be back out tomorrow for the other half of 20hrs. Catch'em up.

Attachments

#85 ·
Nada on the bloods and clams. I see the winds will be up again tomorrow even worse I'm still going to be out there might get alil wet gettin there this time with a later start I want to hit the creek in the am to see is shad and herring are in this one of the first places I personally get to see them and gage numbers if they are up striped bass should be up (in numbers that is). Funny thing tho I didn't mark a single fish today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.