Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2014 Big D reports

83K views 265 replies 36 participants last post by  natenlogansdad 
#1 ·
Happy New Years to everyone here on 24/7. Hope this year brings a great bite for us all.
First report: today the river is covered in a sheet of ice. Hope the fingerlings of the last spawning season make it through the cold. Again the river is cover in ice stay home or hit the beaches of SNJ like I will be doing on Thursday.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Got spring fever over here. Ran down to Dicks Sportng Goods last night for my DE boat license, grabbed some string for my leaders, and grabbed some lures. Came home and cleaned out the old tackle box. Tonight, I'll start tying up about 80 hooks to pass the time. I keep saying "soon" but I'm starting to have my doubts:smiley17e:

#4 ·
I had a whopping 45 minutes of "me" time to kill before work today. I stopped on the 420 overpass just before 95 and sunk a hook. Incoming tide was moving and the debris in the water was crazy. Not sure if I got actual nibbles or it was trash under the water but it was nice feeling the rod move. Not a fish was landed but I went into work feeling really good.

Soon my friends.

Soon.

#11 ·
Gone be a late run this year then its gone to be quick fast and furious. That's my bet. The winter melt will keep Big D temps low well into April without question. Me? I'll still be out tere scouting come march on my days off. Then I'll be opening WildWoods first ever beach bar restaurant so my time will become very limited this spring season. So I'll get it where I can when I can but ill be watching. Catch'em up.

#15 ·
So much for going out opening day tomorrow. Shoot first year in awhile I won't be scouting the first week.

Water temps 34f in Philadelphia and more snow sun-Monday and still ice as snow that hasn't melted plus extremely cold temps next week. We might as well push opening day ahead to April and expect spawners to show up as early as may. Smh I might not see a bass from the river with everything I got going on come may. Who am I kindling I will make time somehow some way! But this is just awful.

Attachments

#26 ·
Hey all. Went to the boat show yesterday. Let's just say that I am sticking with my 1972 Grady White. I can't believe some of the prices. Anyway what a winter. I hope to start getting the boat ready next weekend and then wait till the stripers show. I agree with Mu that we may have a long wait. Nice to see you all on the site and hope to see y'all out on the Big D soon, Chuckles.

#31 · (Edited)
Pennsy side:
– From the Pennsylvania state line upstream to Calhoun Street Bridge: Jan. 1 through March 31 and
June 1 through Dec. 31: 28 inches.2 fish.
– From the Pennsylvania state line upstream to Calhoun Street Bridge:April 1 through May 31: 20 to 26 inches, 2 fish.
– From Calhoun Street Bridge upstream:Open year-round 28 inches,2 fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.