Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here)

108K views 381 replies 49 participants last post by  mu fish 
#1 ·
Our river in 2012....... Post ur reports here. Wet'em if u got'em hook'em land'em.....catch'em if u can. Cheers to the 2012 spring run.

#262 ·
And as far as gut hooked fish I have found gut hooked fish typically either get infected sores from the wound if hook is left in also it impedes their ability to feed. Not saying it's alwas but a bass would prob die of starvation before any hook jus desolves away. I always have a sharp pair of pointed cutters on board jus cut the hook tip while holding the line tight to expose the hook from the gut. Then jus slide the hook out. Takes under a minute.
Also another way I have experimented on this past year is grabbing the pointed end of hook with stenos then clip the leader ad pull the hook all the way through the hole in the gut exiting the fish with the eye hole of the hook. Basicly feeding tue hook all the way through the hole where the hook is and having the leader actually running through the wound(hole from hook) then clip the leader and u have saved the fish and ur hook. Also done in under a minute. I've only had one gut hooked fish this spring and this is how I released her. She seemed strong and lively not a lazy departure at all wet me good with her tail.

#263 ·
gut hook, mufish sounds good i will try feeding it through and cutting leader. As far as your circle hool debate i have the reel engaged and just wait for the rod to bend. O typically use a fish finder rig so i dont think mister fish notices the weight, and i feel that there is probably enough slack in the line for the fish to start swiming away. But as you said to each their own. I actually have never tried your method but will the next time i get out. You said you use an offset circle hook what size and brand?

#266 ·
Lol don't argue with him let him do as he pleases. Not only do i have law degree, i have one of the top 5 power ranked attorney's in the city of philly on retainer. He prob has a crappy life , ugly wife, his own existence prob causes him grief don't let it cause u none. If he really felt tht strongly about it he would have put the regs up to help us out if we r quoting something wrong dudes jus a loser Basicly
Back to fishing related topics no reason to argue we r all here to accomplish one thing become better Striper fishermen/women. If I'm wrong I'll make the correction but I have checked again in the book and PDF and don't see the mention of offset circle hooks being illegal. I don't promote anything illegal when it comes to my Stripers they r my love my passion I'm not here to argue with anyone of u if u can contribute something positive chime in please. I'm am hardly the know all tell all final word on striper knowledge I'm just a rookie compare to some but I'm A quick study and I do pretty well as far as I'm concerned and Thts all tht really matters. Catch'em up.
Attn: my boat has kept all of 2 slots out of all fish I have caught so far this 2012 Season all other fish were returned Alive and well none with hooks still remaining in the fish or any other injuries and the majority of them haven't even left the water at all and those tht did never remained outa water more than
40 or so seconds.

#269 ·
To protect spawning striped bass, from the Calhoun Street bridge near
Trenton downstream to the Commodore Barry Bridge at Bridgeport,
non-offset circle hooks must be used when using bait with a #2 sized
hook or larger, from April 1 to May 30.

That is what the circle hook rule in NJ. If you are fishing from PA shoreline or launching a boat from PA you can use any hook you want! Dumb ass rules imo

#283 ·
not that i know of. as of last saturday i got zilch at bulls island and the only action i saw where shad being caught. a fsherman who was pursuing shad caught 30 but no herring. the shad run started early this year, which i thought the herring and strioers would also but that doesnt seem to be the case. find the herring and that should be a good indication of stripers in you area. i am south of you and as of yet no herring. :wickidscared:

#275 ·
I apologize for the rude post I'm not a bad dude especially when it comes to chasing Stripers I'm kinda of a saint lol I'm their follower so maybe I'm an apostle but I was offended and lashed out again my apologies this been a fun year and I'm glad I've been blessed to share it with u guys. But lol it ain't over yet.

#281 ·
Nah bro just love to fish learn and interacwith others tht have the same passion. I'm not hear to argue back and forth this thread is jus to catalog my spring and share with other my experiences and knowledge and meet some good ppl along the way

#278 ·
Been fishing below CBB all season. We have had a few decent days, but nothing consistent. My friend caught his second 40" striper on Wed in DE water. Went out again yesterday from 4-7:30pm. The weather and conditions were perfect, but we caught nothing but perch and a few cats on bloods. Only marked a few decent fish, but no action. Anyone else been fishing this area?

#282 ·
Something I jus want to note : every year around this time most ppl are using river herring and they r almost certainly the main forage for mature bass tht move up river. If there has been a drop off in numbers I think I would be more incline to say tht clams bunker salt herring are all well known forage for bass but at different times of the year each of them have a time and place and right now the herring r the time and place bass will key in on this while bypassing something tht seems outa place.
Also the eel migration has jus begun in the last week or so I jus can't see a reason the bass would jus drop and leave.
Jus an odd thought it gets a Lil more detailed in my head lol but maybe u catch my drift. I love trying to figure these bass out.

#284 ·
we are both working this weekend so it looks like will will be out early monday morning and fish all day. with the temps down a few degrees we decided to try baitfishing one more time. no more bloods though to many perch, will be working with clam and herring in the ussal spots. will keep you guys posted how we do.

#285 ·
Went out today from 6-3, hoping for some catties with the boy. The setups were some 8-9' rods 2/0 circles and livers on slip rigs. And what do you know hook into a hog of a striper. Get her about 10ft from shore and she breaks me off on a screeching run. keep in mind i have 30lb braid. No fish :icon_cry:but a great story

#295 · (Edited)
Sunday report: got out late and fished til 9:30pm started off slow but as it got dark the bite turned on. Drifting with eels got the biggest well after dark 35". 3 slots on clams drifted along with eels. 29" & 30" on bunker chunks before dark. 6 cats all on live chubs All over 5lbs.
Monday report: off water at 10pm. Was slow going started at 3pm didn't land a fish til 5:30 but I didn't move within this time frame. Had a first time striper fisherman on board and wanted to fish this one hole hoping to put him on a pig but it wasn't to be had here for him tho not from lack of trying he missed 2 decent runs but couldn't hook up. I did manage 3 slots all in half hr. On salt herring Then we moved around a bit and as it got dark it got good again. Bout a 1/2 hr before dark all four rods went off and we both got on slots (his first ever bass) then he began bailin them while I lost 2 decent size fish and only landing 1 bass 34" bunker. By nights end he caught up with 4 slots all on salt herring and one really nice 28" bass on bunker head tht had an extremely fat belly bulge.(riverbass)lol. He also had 1 perch tht was close to 2 lbs prob 15" biggest I ever seen. He's already texting me for another trip lol he's hooked already. Good 2 days. Yes not any huge fish but I did notice spawning happening tonight on the surface on 2 different occasions. I'm
Not convinced it's over I'm checking another section of river mid-week. Ending? Idk my numbers r ok maybe no cows but still good fishing bays and beaches gone a have to wait a Lil longer.

#296 ·
Thanks Mu- I hit Raritan on Saturday. Windy as a muther ..... Fished for about 4 hours with no luck just had a striper come up and give the fin and went back down. I hear they are back into the area up north now and was wondering how the river was doing. I am going to try and get out one night this week maybe friday as I am busy with work through Thursday. I am hitting cape may on saturday...oh too much to do not enough time.

Mu, do you think it's too late for T&W on the D?

#297 ·
My wife and I went out yesterday (Monday) and caught 2 slots and she caught two eels at the Rancocas creek the 2 slots were caught on Bunker and she got the eels on clams. It was her first time on the D and she had fun until the sun got hidden by clouds and the wind picked up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.