Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here)

108K views 381 replies 49 participants last post by  mu fish 
#1 ·
Our river in 2012....... Post ur reports here. Wet'em if u got'em hook'em land'em.....catch'em if u can. Cheers to the 2012 spring run.

#194 ·
What a day fished one of my spots much further south haven't fished this spot all season yet and boy it paid off in a big way never even had to pull anchor in 6 hrs of fishing. Forgot my eels at home was pissed the bait made up for it. I mean we threw everything and everything worked. Frozen clam, fresh bunker, salt herring, fresh clam, mackerel, chubs. Bunker was the best on size salt erring and clam accounted for most of the slots chubs and Mac caught several different sizes. Fished from 2:30-8:00pm by 4pm I was beginin to keep count on bait lol we had 4 fish over 35" and 5 slot fish by 4pm finished the night with 13 slot fish and 6 fish over 34" up to 44" pop actually had the biggest bass today (first time I been beet on size in my boat I think this year) on salt herring. Ran outa bait and had to take it in.
Kinda felt bad there was a boat needing a tow behid me never noticed cause I was to busy most of the time but the tow boat came and got him I woulda stopped and tried to assist but I really didn't notice musta sucked he's 80yards away watching us pull fish after fish in all the while needing assistance so if ur out there my apologies I really didn't notice til it was to late.

#196 ·
For the life of me the perch won't really work for me I mean they have but jus not consistent enough for me to continuously use them. I would say the fresh bunkers fresh clams and eels are going to be ur best option unless u got chubs they are a reliable bait. I haven't had any request for chub orders tho so not sure how others r doing with them. Catch'em up. I'm liking the 2way idea might break mine out the box and hook it up only use it down shore. But while I'm fishing lol don't expect no locations of where I'm at only once I'm off water will locations be given I don't mind sharing ideas or spots or tactics but not while I'm there lololol going out wed morning.

#197 ·
Any tips on where I should go with my Kayak? I know I can access the river from the cove in palmyra, delanco, burlington and bordentown. Also you you said in an earlier post that the action is still good ( i am paraphrasing) but basically when does the run slow down on the delaware? I am hoping to get a few more weeks of attempting to land a big striper.

#198 ·
To be quite honest it has yet to peak and like I said earlier bass come up river in waves upon waves and they stay until there is to much competition for food or food runs back down river. The herring are jus now showing up in better numbers an water temps have remained relatively the same throughout the river so Thts also a plus. I expect to see a spike in temps over the next week and I'm kinda hoping for some rain to speed up currents so the larve have a better success rate like last year.
2 things will keep bass around our river food and water temps. Bass on average can cover 12 miles a day while others will remain in a general area for some time and move slower through the river. And all bass are not alike.
If u ask me to put a time on it I'd have to say 4-5 more good weeks then everything will begin the treck back to the bay and adjacent coast lines as they move north for the summer months.
And u can launch a yak anywhere u see fit! Lol
I haven't heard much on Trenton area as far as Stripers but I'd imagine is easier further south as herring will be the bass main diet ao here big lures will be in order and baits will work better south.

#199 ·
Thanks Mu Fish. I am not well versed on which lures work best for Stripers, nor do I expect you to have free clinics on the forum, LOL! I will do my homework and look up what to use and how to use it and hopefully I will tie into some stripers this year!
Thanks again for all your wisdom!

#200 ·
robmedina. If you are in a yak dont ignore the thin water north of the trenton rapids. You dont have to be all that familar with the river either. Just look for a current break and cast to it. The river is so low this year that the larger boats arnt in the fast snallows therefore not much fishing pressure. As far as lures go try buck tails, fins, rapalas. Heddon lucky 13 on top. These are some of my favs. Because i get out after work and do not have much time for baits. Also north of trenton there is no tide so you dont have to worry about ebbing tides.

#201 ·
If ur in a yak and are drift fishing a clam with lightest weigh will clean up. And an eel dragging with the lightest inline sinker. Bucktail jigs with trailer and teaser and Deepdivers plugs bouncing off bottom and big spoons. Target live blueback herring lure is a great lure.

#202 ·
@montauk & @mufish- Thanks much. I will research these baits. I do have some swim bates ( larger saltwater type) 1 buck tail (I will be getting more) and some tube and gulp alive blood sand worms.
Back in the day I used to fish at the trenton makes bridge (actually under the railroad bridge) with a small weight fly rod and a clouser minow- casting into the current I would catch small stripers and white perch on practically every cast. Perhaps if I upsize my bait I would catch bigger ones....

#205 ·
Will do I'll send u a message soon I'm thinking about end of may and June in a yak I was trying to piece one together a friend of mine has one with depth finder rod holders trolling motor. It looks badass. But he goes a mile off beach sometimes and has some cool videos. He told me there is a group down around sea isle (base camp for me) tht get together and do the same thing as a group a mile or so offshore. And skishing is another thing I will be doing also this summer (it's hellafun tried it last year) I even tried a bass tube off the beach in fall and just drifted with current to the inlet and had a paddle with me an fins was kinda fun too. But let's end this covo on this here and now cause I'm getting excited already thinking about fall ad spring ain't even over yet. Won't be in SIC til at least the end of may for now I want to enjoy my river as long as I can. Won't see her again til next spring so all focus is here.

#206 ·
And loli had to comment again: u said 1 bucktail!?!? They r the most versatile lure there is hands down. They can be cast trolled jigged u name it they do it and u can catch almost every species of inshore fish there is. Load up on them. Caribou and polar bear are they best there is so if u can get them
Then get them could be a bit more $ than regular store deer hair jigs tho.
Flounder striper blue weakfish drum seabass tog shark ling have all fell victim to the bucktail jig. Good for deep water or skinny water night or day jus one lure u should really gain experience with and have alot of.

#207 ·
u said 1 bucktail!?!?
I was wondering if that would be caught, LOL! YEah I bought 1 but do plan on picking up more for sure. I caught a flounder on a jig 10 years or so ago by mistake- I did not really know how to use it so I was casting out and letting it sit (think I had some type of trailer on it) got bored with it just sitting so I started realing it in and bam the flounder hit it.
I think I will tie the buck tail on next time I go out. I have 30# braid with a 50# mono leader right now for my tube and worm- should I use the same rigging for the bucktail? Should I use a slip sinker to help keep it down? I think the one I have is a SPRO Prime Bucktail Saltwater Jigs in either 1 oz or 3/4oz I forget which weight.

#208 ·
The line if fine. In the river I use nothing less than 2oz up to 5oz. But u want to be able to use the lightest jig possible tht will still get to bottom quick enough. Use 36" leader 15" above the jig tie a dropper loop and attach a teaser which consist of jus a hook and bucktail (no weight) on the hook end of the jig u want a 4"-6" trailer. In the river there r several ways to fish these. U can find a current seam cast up the seam let it drift through the seam twiching ur rod tip as it goes then poopping it as it swings out down current like a wounded prey tht can't fight the current(this is where most hook ups on bass will occur) u can also back swim it down seam by simply reeling backwards keeping tension between u and the all the while twiching and popping the jig then just fish it back up river whith the same twiching and popping til it reaches the boat. 2 very successful tactics for bass on the river.
Use this same method for swimbaits also.
Don't over look spoons and metals like cripple herring in 2-5oz either they are killer on the river(at least last year they were)

#214 ·
Yea I think If I'm a take a drink while I get accustom to it I might as well do it when water warm to at least 60. Lol but in the spring I really love my Lil aluminum even tho it's not fast or big its my personal therapist and it gets the job done if I ever get a bigger engine It would be big trouble for big Stripers lol Would love to join u out there but I'm jus not ready to launch yet anyway.

#211 ·
mufish, i was being lazy with my typing. I was just trying to say that north of trenton there are no tides. There fore you are just dealing with current. If you are in an area with a tide you may plan your locations based on a tide. Example fish the mouth of a trib. On an outboing tide, this spot may not produce on an incoming tide. I was under the impression that he was new to fishing the river so i was trying to keep it simple.:Sailor:

#215 ·
Robmedina I'm obsessed with striper fish them all year I could go crabbing or flounder cause my pop loves it and I'll be targeting Stripers one way or another its the only fish I chase for 10 months a year on average even tho last fall kinda jus ran into spring for me. If I fish 40 hours a week I have studied or researched something pertaining to bass for prob nearly double tht time. 1-2 hours a day it's a given I'm doing something related to learning about Stripers.
The first thing an ole salt told me after I caught a 36" bass for my first ever striped bass period on my first ever trip for striper but also from the surf on a live eel in a clear bright oct day, he said(never forget it),"I've always said u got to put ur time in for Stripers but here u are first fish on wht? ur third or forth cast?" I said yea and it's my birthday today! He told me, "oh u were made to catch Stripers".
True story ill never forget it didn't know the man and couldn't remember him if he was next to me but going on only my 6th year fishing for Stripers and only 4 years exclusively I actually believe him and have believed him for many years. So most of my free time is devoted to these wonderfully strong top of the chain inshore fish. I'm still not done so much more to learn and understand. So many others who have fished so many years beyond me have so much more knowledge and experience I'm jus a beginner compared to some of them especially with guys of the likes of @Striperjim who prob taught me half of wht I know these guys r the wealth im jus the middle class lol
I'm jus thankful I have someone to share this seasons trips with it's a fun ride so far and it's jus getting good. Tks bro catch'em up!

#216 ·
cool man, well it is great that you are willing to share that knowledge! And although my kayaking knowledge is not comparable to your striper knowledge, I am pretty proficient and knowledgeable about kayaking. Any info I could help you with, just ask.
I am going to try and get out on the river tomorrow after work. Not sure where i will put in at. Either palmyra cove and hang around the bridge or in delanco and paddle towards hawk island and the mouth of the cocas. Hopefully we get some reports that affirm these areas.
I just went to cabelas yesterday and picked up chest waders and wading boots- now I can have a nice warm dry ride!

#217 ·
Ever thought about a wet suit? Ad go with ur first choice. Don't worry about the barge even tho I'm not sure if it's still there but tht area is hot right now friend of mine did well yesterday while I was unable to get out. I might be out Tomm morning not sure yet. This my last 6 day week of work so I'll be on the river more here coming up

#221 ·
man it was foggy as get out this morning. I saw a couple boats anchored. got back to launch area saw guys on the beach fishing. Then by the bridge saw some surface activity, I threw a top water right in the mix and nothing, then I tried a swim bait- nothing. I have a lot to learn about Stripers.
Oh well it was still nice being out.
I only went out for a few hours because I am SUPPOSED to be working...LOL!

Attachments

#222 ·
I like it like it alot. At least u got out i been at work all day. Fog is a great time for bass u will get them keep at it. What were u throwing? Next time instead of a top water plug try a sub surface glider. Sometimes jus a few inches under the water is all tht matters. Have u tried target live blueback herring lure yet?

#224 ·
Well actually the thing I was throwing would "walk the dog" just under the surface. If you twitched it hard enough it would pop out of the water like a bait fish being chased. Kind of neat lil thing. sort of like this
other than that i now have...wait for it.....THREEm yes 3 bucktails, LOL! ANd I have about 5 tube and worm rigs..... yeah I dont have much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.