Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here)

108K views 381 replies 49 participants last post by  mu fish 
#1 ·
Our river in 2012....... Post ur reports here. Wet'em if u got'em hook'em land'em.....catch'em if u can. Cheers to the 2012 spring run.

#117 ·
Chubs r a bait fish located in almost every single body of water (at least in southeastern Pa). To my knowledge there are 3 different types of chubs in this area: creek chubs river chubs and big eye chubs. I have a thread about them in here it is a gem of a secret I've kept under wraps for several years and put it out there this year for the ppl. They actually have a lures for striped bass called creek chubs so there must b something to using chubs for bait lol. Most chubs u can find in drainage ditches or feeder creek tht run into larger creeks. They r usually found in small pools 6"-1' deep right above places ripples form. Very spookish fish u may have walked by a small creek and saw small fish jus run for cover most likely they were chubs. The larger ones r the ones u want 6-8" and these can b hard to come by sometimes but well worth the effort. Smallest hook u got with tiny piece of earth worm. The smaller ones will form a bait ball around the hook and the bigger ones will come in a take it from them. Keep aerated at home for months. When dead cut up and put on a hook. Very successful bait on the big d for spring bass.

#119 ·
Heading out about 2 today. T/P bridge area. Loaded with live chubs. Sunfish. Bluegill. And chunkin trout. Getting some clams and tossing live target blue back herring lures. Gonna try to catch some white perch and cut the dorsals and toss them too. Maybee even toss an anchor at them also. Lol. Will let u all know how it goes.

#121 ·
Within the next week I will either convince local bait shops to carry live chubs or I will begin to order large shipments and sell to every and anyone at cost. I'll keep u posted if they decline to try and get in bait shops I'll make it easy hopefully.

#122 ·
Had a good day on the big D today in all 11 bass where boated. The biggest was 33" we also boated a 31 and 3 slot fish. All on bloods on the in comeing tide. Didn't have a lot of problems with perch striping off the bloods until the last hour. Water temp was 53.4 and it was windy. Good luck to all tomorrow should be a good day.

#124 ·
Great Day, I fished with some new Facebook friends, got seven nice fish and lost two monster reel screamers..... All on bloods. The fishing is getting better and better. We fished the mouth of the Rancocous Creek in coming and out going tides! Great day.
Tight lines!
Gravy :GrayWingSmiley:

#126 ·
That's funny!! Na.. no shop for me, I like to fish; I couldn't go fishing if I own a shop. Lol Thanks MU couldn't have done it without guys like you who share tips and tricks! Get out there soon! I am already starting to twitch and tremble with the need to get out again. Lol
Gravyth_icon_splitform.g:

#127 ·
Jus off te river great day had 5 bass over 31" by 11:30am end with 13 bass all over 29" and 1 runt 8 or 9 cats 1 perch. My holes r coming alive! Lol even had a boat come by me as I was hooked up with a 37" bass and I started to act like it was a snag and jus let the fish run til the boat left then got'em in. I didn't want tht 14 boat fleet coming down on me from the ranacokas. Chubs caught the most clam accounted for the biggest a 30 lber. Went up to check out ranacokas an didn't see much happening there and boats were pulling up as I got there. Pop did get one bass on blood it was the runt I didn't even bother with the bloods even tho I had 2 packs. Ran outa clams and chubs and off to work I go be out Tomm all day. The bass were hung in 17-27 ft of water. Great day sure made up for not being there all week.

#131 ·
I can't tell u about the night bite yet soon tho. It's still a tad early to be pulling all nighters once we get some 50 degree nights it's time. In my records the night bite takes off 3rd week of April in the past but Thts jus my personal knowledge others may say different. I'll be pulling all nighters soon so I hope to have info for u then.

#132 ·
Gravy u and me both can't believe my wife puts up with me when fishing is good I'm never home jus work and fish. I read a book one time tht said the guy wouldnt be able to sleep so he'd think about bass til he fell asleep well I don't sleep the night before trips and in the surf I fish 16 hrs a day with no sleep for 2 days. If I even start to lay in bed thinking about bass I'm up for an extra 2 hours
In 1954, the editors of Salt Water Sportsman declared that the striped bass had "a fanatical human following that compares to none." and it's now stronger half a century later.
Some call it a passion my wife says it's obsession.

#140 ·
Nice!! Well... lol I was reading this post at 3:30 am!! I couldn't sleep. I was pumped up for going out to the Rancocous creek area today! So I figured I would check to see if you posted! And got a good laugh from this. Thanks! You know if our wives were to meet... We would be In a lot trouble!!! LMAO I made it out there today, the rats and perch were hard at work and in full force! I kept changing position. Intentionally and unintentionally, the wind was brutal! I had a perch barf up worms! So I used the worms for bait! Little s.o.b! Hopefully you did better!
Gravy :icon_twisted:

#137 ·
Closer to 40 pounds Than 60.
Jus off river ebbing tide was the best tide today. I fished same spot from yesterday and bass didn't seem to be sacked up here today but bigger fish were there today. Only managed 5 bass today but they were good ones. Some of the biggest I've caught on the river. Only bait I used was fresh surf clam in water 21-27 feet. Soon as I got on my spot first rod cast started peeling before I could even get the other rods in the water. Bam 49" bass. As soon as I got the rods back in the water another goes off for a 40" bass. Had a much heavier bass on then the first one but I let her pull me into the trees tht lay off to the side of my hole and broke me off. Landed another 44" bass and 39" bass and 1 18" bass 3 catfish. Once tide changed things slowed a bit and boat also started dropping in my area so I didn't stay much longer. Checked out flats by ranacokas did see one small fish caught but for 2 hrs nothing. If I had to estimate within the past 2 days 200 pounds of bass have hit the deck of my Lil boat. The time is here and now.

#141 ·
Closer to 40 pounds Than 60.
Jus off river ebbing tide was the best tide today. I fished same spot from yesterday and bass didn't seem to be sacked up here today but bigger fish were there today. Only managed 5 bass today but they were good ones. Some of the biggest I've caught on the river. Only bait I used was fresh surf clam in water 21-27 feet. Soon as I got on my spot first rod cast started peeling before I could even get the other rods in the water. Bam 49" bass. As soon as I got the rods back in the water another goes off for a 40" bass. Had a much heavier bass on then the first one but I let her pull me into the trees tht lay off to the side of my hole and broke me off. Landed another 44" bass and 39" bass and 1 18" bass 3 catfish. Once tide changed things slowed a bit and boat also started dropping in my area so I didn't stay much longer. Checked out flats by ranacokas did see one small fish caught but for 2 hrs nothing. If I had to estimate within the past 2 days 200 pounds of bass have hit the deck of my Lil boat. The time is here and now.
Damn Bud!! Great day for you!! Congrads! Awsome.. 49 inch man. I was on rancacokas Creek seam today! I was in a the little 14ft Sylvan boat at the mouth seam. Lots of little rat Stripers and perch! Again great job, any pictures???
trampoline2.gif

#145 ·
I've used tht method years ago but I'm not sure its right either lol but I use a length to weight chart and age chart. U can find it on this site somewhere. But 49" bass is aprox 17 years old max weight of 54lbs average weight of 47 lbs and minimum weight of 39 lbs. Ive actually put it in my log book as a 49" 45lber. From the 1995 class. And tht was before I went and looked at the chart. But it coulda very well been close to 50. It was really fat for this time of year.

#142 ·
Got vid of the releases I was alone today and was wishing I had someone to take a pic wit me holdin them I tried to take pics wit phone but I've drooped my iPhone in surf so much last fall all pics come out cloudy one day I'll get new one. Sure woulda like a pic Thts my biggest bass on the river to date!
Um I'm not up on the calculations but if I had to Guess I'd say the fish was around 40-45 lbs I have hand held digital but I frown on putting a big cow on it and have it's jaw stretched all out and belly inside all messed up from hanging like tht I jus won't do it but the tape measurements r correct maybe off a half inch at most.

#146 ·
Yea mu I use both last year I had got a weigh in bag and cut the sides so a striper can fit so I can use a scale but haven't had any luck since I fish in havre de grace never really fished the big d even though I live pretty much on it in Claymont might have to learn more bout fishing on it. thought my boat was to small it a 17 ' bass tracker but I see I was wrong you make out good with yours and gravy with his. Hope to see you guys out there soon.stay safe

#147 ·
Am i reading it right????? You caught a 49" striper in a 12' canoe on Saturday the 8th with the wind howling like that????

I went down to delanco and was going to drfit with the out going tide down past the rancocas and maybe into palmyra by the bridge, but since I am in a kayak , I said forget that, that wind was crazy. I would be doing more paddling than fishing!
I might be out there friday evening. Tight Lines!

#150 ·
Canoe? Nah I would never put canoe on river ------12' aluminum with 2hp outboard and Sunday is not the nastiest weather I been out there in either tht was nothing sunday the wind didn't really pick up til tide turned and then it was wind with tide and wind across tide. It gets really ruff when the wind blows against tide. I've spent the last 5 years on the river in this set up and tho it has been very dangerous at times I've learned to handle whatever the river has thrown at me. Some days r not for the inexperienced Thts for sure.

#149 ·
Great job Mu..
It must have been exciting getting that cow to the boat.
The formula I used when trying to estimate large fish in saltwater when they were to be released was length x girth squared divided by 800
I have found that in some big fish the girth is carried back through the tail
Making this formula inaccurate in some instances. Even so that was a heck of a catch. I have been reading all the posts and being an old saltwater fisherman for some 45 years I may try and apply some of those techniques to the river. Did a lot of shark and tuna fishing so u may know where I am going with this..will have to get to jersey to get what I need but if it works I will let all you guys know. Looks like there is plenty of fish for all of us to have fun with for the next few months. If any one is thinking of doing night trips I would be willing to give my cell number to share info or in case of an emergency. Good luck guys and catch um up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.