Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here)

108K views 381 replies 49 participants last post by  mu fish 
#1 ·
Our river in 2012....... Post ur reports here. Wet'em if u got'em hook'em land'em.....catch'em if u can. Cheers to the 2012 spring run.

#84 ·
New to this board fish in Maryland for spring run may have to try de after bad couple years. Just heard guys limited out at Augustine beach area yesterday biggest 30lbs all caught on fresh bunker so might want to try it up north might work for those bigger ones. Stay safe out there guys

#89 ·
Well, finally I got out today, we went out of Ridley marina. It was windy, with on and off rain. The wheather was a bit much for my pop! We had some hits and our hooks got stripped by perch.
About 40 mins into out trip and it happend!! Three heavy hits and ZZZZzz, my reel was singing!! I caught my first Delaware River Striper!! She was a beauty!! 38-40 inch. Pop says she was + 40, who care what amazing site! all lit up with color. I got her on a blood worm, I marked some big fish 8-12 ft water, the water temp was 54 degrees. We were out 2- 2 1/2 hrs. The cold just got to my pop! We headed back. What a Great day!!
Gravywoohoo.gif Water Smile Boat Outdoor recreation Lake

Water Vertebrate Fishing net Fisherman Lake

#90 ·
Way to go gravy ur officially a Delaware river striper man!!! Good stuff!

Was out in the mess today tried one of my hole up station no luck so I moved back down to other spots and the fish were still there. No size tho. And perch were out in force at every stop which was something I was afraid of happening before the big Stripers got here. Usually the big cows r up river before the perch but water jus been to warm. So gone to move into my post spawn routine cause bloodworm will not get any more play on my boat. 10$ to much to let perch pick away all day. But if u got a grinder like me every perch becomes chum so either way I guess is ok. Lol. I was surprised no takers on the trout today livelined on a few drifts at places tht routinely produce and nada. Live Creek chubs clams and trolling tomorrow maybe I'll pick up a few trout they will produce big fish. So not much to report except the perch r taking over and lots of Lil bass biting. Hitting the river before sun up til sundown hope to give a more detailed report for u guys later.
Go go gravy!!!!!!

#93 ·
Me and a friend were out on saturday with no luck. I have a quick ? for you guys, what else do you suggest we use as bait instead of bloodworms? We were getting picked clean by perch im guessing:frustrated:. we are newbies to striper fishing in the big D any help will be greatly appreciated thanks

#95 ·
I fished all morning from about 7 till noon all around the tacony bridge. No luck at all. We were using fishbites and gulp blood worms. I guess that we have too switch to the real thing to get any action. Any thoughts on that guys? Good luck to all for this young 2012 striper season.

#101 ·
Those bait r salt water artificials right? They r stimulated by the salt water to produce the same scents as the name. If they r for fresh water I would use them only as a trailer on a jig or a maybe the plastic worm on the end hook of a lure so it runs tight while trolled. But jus ancoring up or spiking a rod on the bank with a plastic bait an jus waiting for a bass to eat it I'm not sure Thts a great approach not saying wrong idk never tried it but the real thing is best if u r not castin lures bottom line can't go wrong with fresh clam or blood right now.

#96 ·
hey guys, i'm new to the forums here but i love the site! i'm 26 and really only started fishing passionately about 3 years ago, falling in love with the stripers last year. I didn't hook up to anything over 30 inches last year, although guys i was fishing with did. I'm from Bristol, PA and havent had a chance to get out at all yet this Spring because wifey and I had our first baby in November. So i guess what I'm doing here is asking if anybody could take me out on their boat next weekend. I dont know anybody with a boat and actually never fished the Big D on a boat. I'd be willing to pay for 50% of gas and bait and I'll bring the best damn hoagies you've ever eaten, and I know we'd have a good time together. If anybody is interested please email me and we can set something up. I really wanna get me a big one! nivekk126@gmail.com names Kevin

I know this isnt a dating site, but i guess you could say I'm desperate haha

#97 ·
Fished under the train bridge for the first time today. No luck but enoyed my time fishing new water. Have a ? for the guys familiar with this section of the river. I have a 12ft flat bottom boat for 2 that i norm use on lakes. I seen a few boats today out there that were about the same size as mine so i was wondering would a 12ft boat be safe in the big D? The only diff is those boast had outbaords and i only have a trollin motor. Help...Tight lines!

#102 ·
Not with jus trolling motor please e safe and smart I have logged maybe 500 hours easily on the river in a 12ft with a 2hp which is basically the smallest outboard there is and have navigated some really dangerous water tht would be easily handled by bigger boats in bad weather but have learned how to handle those situations and can push the boundaries a Lil bit sometimes but unless u r experienced and have the power u need I would not advise u to do tht. 12ft is fun and conferrable to me and fits my needs and limits at the time but u can't do it with a trolling motor Except on tht rare glass top zero wind day and even then I still wouldn't advise it. Plenty cheap
Outboards on line for sale every day check into it maybe.

#98 ·
Fished today below the tacony caught 1 bass 32 inches 12.5 lbs and another about 25 inches on bloods. Had another real good bite on clam but missed him. I was reading 54 degrees on the fish finder. We did have alot of nibbles on the bloods, probably the perch. We did this all on the incoming tide and nothing on the outgoing. I am hoping that next weekend will be better with the better moon phase. Good luck this week guys!!!
Johnw

#99 ·
Hey fishing folks, i live south of the CBB (near DM Bridge) i been fishing the river my whole life use to catch the cats off night crawlers and such, then someone told me a few years back that blood worms is the way to catch stripers, So i tried and havnt switched up yet, havnt been out this year yet (2012), but im off this coming weekend so i hope the weather is nice, i think it has been to early and cold waters to go out for the big stripers sofar, but thats just me, plus i dont have a boat always been surf fish. or best belive i would be out there, but im new to this site and will give updates, Last year i caught alot 18'-26' and a few really nice ones. This year i want to out do that.

Bad day fish Always Better than A Great day at Work!
Cee

#100 ·
Sorry for the delayed report I was out all day on Sunday and was exhausted fished right into the rain and Thts when I had my best catches. My same spots r still producing the same results. Seems like bloods r off now except wit the smaller ones tht continue to stack up thick at these structures. Did not use bait except for a few hours rest of time I trolled and cast lures or Jiged. Target live herring caught 3 18" bass and I'm loving tht. Going to start using the bigger version. Driftin and anchoring bloods worked well and 2- bass on live creek chumb drifted through one of my spots neither bass was bigger than 24". Heard the numbers of bigger bass have been increasing I am going to focus more south Tomm (tues) morning. Targeting deep banks or points or bends tht go off into the channel. Report back Tomm.
On another note seems like the entire river has finally stabilized and it is running at nearly identical temps throughout the river. Even though reading at tacony bridge read 59 last week and now 55 other parts of tue river were all at different temps mean bass would have to constantly be adjusting to their area now they will be more conferrable traveling up river. Not much heard on herring but I guess Thts expected but I'm sure I made readings on small pods twice and tho it was choppy I swore I saw a flash like they were following the lure to the boat right after I marked them so idk I'm sure they r around. for bait has anyone tried salt herring yet? :icon_razz:

#105 ·
I thought the same thing exactly but i was a lil curious after i saw other similar sized boats. Ive fished the D for over 15 years from Burlington to where i live in Easton Pa and know the dangers very well. Unfortunately the 3.5 i had recently killed over so ill stick to my smaller waters for now and get the D from shore which has been just fine with me. Thanks for the friendly advice. Lets keep the drags ripping

#106 ·
Thanks for the advice on the gulp bloods and fish bites. I have always been a salt water guy, but since I got a boat last year and I live here I want to stick to the big d. I will try clams on my next trip out. Something else that I was wondering for all of us boats on the big d, why don't we all pick a dedicated channel on the 2 ways so when a few of us are out we can share live fishing reports. Any thoughts about that?

#107 ·
Was out yesterday from noon till dark. Put in at the boat ramp by Brinkmans. Heading south it was very choppy but died down a little later. We fished near the Tacony with no luck so we headed down to the Betsy Ross. Caught a small catfish and had a bite but it broke my 40 lb leader. We were using clams and bloodworms.

#108 ·
Took my homemade canoe out this afternoon near neshaminy creek and caught 4 20+ inches...nothing over 30 yet but still a good day. Try downloading the my fishing advisor app...it tells u ur chances with certain bait, lures, depth, and areas of the river...I tried it out today and did well just using spoons...can't wait till friday

#113 ·
Does anyone else fish from the shore of the Delaware? Me and a friend have been out for several times this week and we've had no luck at all. We've been using bloods on a fish finder rig which I hear is a pretty good way to go. We've been fishing mostly at Station ave, which again, I hear is a good place to go.

It's getting frustrating, but I am no where near quitting - I plan on fishing all weekend and I could really use some help...

Does anyone have any suggestions on other places we should try specifically for shore fishing? (you can private message me if you don't want to "blow up" your spot)

Any suggestions for lures or other baits?

Is there anywhere to buy chubs or do I have to catch them? Also, will minnows work? I've heard of people using minnows with a floater rig.

Any and all help will truly be appreciated, I hope I can post up some pictures of a few big bass real soon!

#114 ·
We got a saying on my boat.....chubs chubs chubs!
As for shore fishing the big D it comes down to right place right time and alot of luck. Not many ppl are continuously pulling in keeper bass from the shore line especially on the Pa side as most of the bass seem to travel the Nj side because there is better bottom contour suchs as flats which is one of the key spots in spring. If u can, it can't hurt, start a chum line from shore could be costly grinding up clams or bunker but sometimes it might be worth it to try. I'd stay away from bloodworms now and use clams or start experimenting with different cut baits like shad salt herring even mackerel and bunker. Extra scent in tue water alwas helps. I have chumed from the surf before and wether it made the difference or not idk but after 2 dead days the third day I chinned away for an hour and then was into fish for another hour. So could work.
So mad right now I agreed to 6 days of 10hrs shifts for 2 weeks I'll still get out sat morning and all of Sunday then gota try squeeze some trips in this week over night if the weather permits.
Herring r deff in tue river have seen them in my creek now and have eardrum several 40"+ fish caught in the river up north so it's finally time!

#115 ·
For lures same as the surf but take a few seconds and look up the float-n-jig technique I think this could be productive. Target live blueback herring lure is a good lure. Bombers maybe even some bigger cripple herring lures or if it's early morning or dusk try top water gliders or poppers.
I've heard large shiners have caught bass but from wht I've heard it's usually well after the herring have pushed back out and bass r still searching the ruerfor food before they push back out. But still everythig is always worth a try until it proves unworthy of use. Big bass are opportunistic feeders to say the least & young bass r more so commacazzy style feeders. With lures it more attention on detail like presentation wise and learning to work jus a few lures and being able to work them well. Bait if not in a boat an able to chase them down it is jus for the most part pure luck of the draw on the river idk wht anyone says Thts the bottom line for fishing Pa side from shore there r not many holding or staging areas on the Pa side plain and simple at least from ross bridge to route one bridge. Gets better on Pa side the further north u go tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.