Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here)

108K views 381 replies 49 participants last post by  mu fish 
#1 ·
Our river in 2012....... Post ur reports here. Wet'em if u got'em hook'em land'em.....catch'em if u can. Cheers to the 2012 spring run.

#60 ·
No wind equals no bass bottom Line for most bass there has to be Some type of chop and tht comes from The wind jus need to take into consideration what tide is and wht dirrection sometimes u can pick ur spots but wind against tide is the worst if its high winds. but Monday with 20-30 I'd stay home Unless u knew a spot they were sacked Up at for sure! I've fished in tht stuff on the river In a 21'er and it's wasn't pleasant ended up with some fish but mind u this was at the hight of the run at the time and herring were the bait lol. And it not at the peek so jus not worth it. Bloods will be fine another day.

#57 ·
Well with the 8 -15 mph wind and on and off rain, my pop and I decided to call it off. We will have to try and go out again next weekend. We drove down to Govenor Pritz Park to look thinks over. Just nasty, not worth it. Lots of luck to you die hards out there!
Gravy
:smiley17e:

#58 ·
Fished all day sat 8am-:5:30pm finally got tht keeper! 30" bass on clam hit like a bolt of lighting. Got it right before the change of tide around 4pm. Winds kept my boat almost facing opposite direction of the tide but perfect striper weather. Fishing was slow early on for me only picking up 9 bass by 12 but once the winds picked up and put a decent chop on the water it was on. Caught several fish 22"-25" then finally put the 30" in the boat got taped and photoed and back in the drink. Very healthy with signs of mating on it's side.
Jus woke up Sunday and looks like the rains aren't to bad so I'm bout to head out. I was solo yesterday in the 12' aluminum but it actually handled better in the chop than it did with 2 ppl. And I been out in worse but we had 2 ft rollers and white caps yesterday gone give it a shot today I think.

#59 ·
Was out today and I wasn't in the mood for rats did alot of moving around alot of traveling every stop catch a rat pick up leave few spots south picked up 21-25" bass (4) 12 rats 6 cats 4 white perch which kinda got my nerves goin a bit cause if the perch move in real heavy before the big Stripers Thts neither good for us or the Stripers as they r natural egg and larve eaters and bait pickers. But not a fish over 25". Did get on a troll for about 1 hour with stretch and Xrap joint shad and not a bump tho. Gone a try a 4 spread with spoons on the next outing. I've been reluctant to bring out the live chubs but next trip I'm taking 6-8"ers.
Tried drifting clams for first time and it worked like a charm so I'll be putting a Lil more practice into tht and keep u informed on the progress. Only did it this trip as an extra Lil something while casting my target live blueback herring lure(this gone b a good lure on the river this year I know it). But drifting produced Several bass.goo thing was they all hooked themselves. Even threw topwater plugs today and swore I seen a boil behind it once I know it's early but jus gave it a shot.

#62 ·
Looking at water temps at different location the areas between station ave to tacony bridge water temps r the highest on the whole section of river bass will be seeking out this area soon could happen over night with these chilly nights won't c the river til thurs or sat so good luck guys keep
The reports going.

#63 ·
WELL WENSDAY LOOKS LIKE TGHE WARMEST SO I THINK I WILL TRY MY LUCK ALL DAY TO SEE IF I CANT HOOKUP ON A COUPLE OF KEEPERS FEEL LIKE I BEEN WASTING MY TIME TRYING THIS NEW SPOT OUT WITH CATS AND RATS ITS STARTING TO PISS ME OFF SO LONG CBB IM BACK AT MY USUAL UPS SPOT WENT DOWN TO LOOK A LITTLE AND SEEN SOME GOOD KEEPERS WITHIN MIN SO I THINK I CAN DO A 6 HOUR BID TOMORROW WISH ME LUCK CAUSE I SURE IS HUNGRY LOL:flyfish:

#65 ·
Finally hit the river today. it was the first time I came off the water after catching a lot of fish and felt left down. the wind and cold I exspected but not to catch a stripper and catching around fifteen cats I didn't exspect. I geuss catching fish is better than nothing. I heard there is a tornament this weekend is that so?

#67 ·
Yes tourney this weekend I posted the info in another thread. And yes wit the water temps rising as quickly as they did the cat fish r out in force as will the perch very soon. Still no signs of herring in the creeks when they show up the females will be here no doubt couple more days it should be popping off. Water is 58 at tacony bridge so Thts the area to key in on this week with water temps falling a few degrees all Over the river

#72 ·
Thanks good fishing i think i read the same thing but i wasnt sure.. Ive been fishing around the comm barry bridge and i think i read that south of there it was closed from april 1 to may 30 or something like that. But im still unclear to what the actual laws are. Any futher info is appreciated

#80 ·
I am still doing extensive research on the movements feeding and spawning habits during the full moon period in April. I my past years I have caught several decent size fish at night. Most of my first few years of logs don't have moon stages but I'm piecing it together. I will be fishing throughout the night real soon so we will see.
By first week of April I suppose there will be enough quality bass around to at least give it a shot.

#81 ·
Thanks mu fish. Much appreciated to you and good fishin.. Ive only been out on the river a couple of time with alittle luck nothing crazy. Still working out the kinks trying different things and soaking up as much info as possible. It wasnt till recently my buddy and i got a boat and to find out that i can catch big stripers this close to home is awesome. It used to be alot of trips to brigentine and thats pricey. But thanks agains guys for the info and good luck! Happy fishing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.