Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here)

108K views 381 replies 49 participants last post by  mu fish 
#1 ·
Our river in 2012....... Post ur reports here. Wet'em if u got'em hook'em land'em.....catch'em if u can. Cheers to the 2012 spring run.

#8 ·
Fished the whole incoming today first 2 cast 2 cats. Had one pick up on the bait runner. Threw bucktails swimshads trolled stretch 25's jointed xshadrap nada so anchored up and managed 2 cats on dead sticks with bloodworms both on the high end of the high low rig. Did have one strong run on the bait runner with creek chub on it but was messing with my plug and by time I got to the rod fish stopped running and was gone. Waters were coco colored from all the wind temps were steady at 46 degrees. A decent amount of fish were marked on this trip most were suspended not much on the bottom prob due to all the silt but good numbers were marked all small fish but good signs. This weeks air temps should bump the river up to 50 by weeks end and Thts when it all begins. Bay is still steady 49-50. Anyday now we can expect fish to begin pushing up river spoke to Nj marine police on the water he said the gilnetters r reporting Stripers all over the bay right now so the push is about to begin.

#11 ·
Water temp got a boost yesterday jumped to 48-49 I'm ready. Im a troll from 7-9am with a 4 spread of 2 stretch 25's and bucktail and rapala broken shad. I got til 1pm to fish then off to the kitchen got my chart out and I'm hitting 7 different structure points if there's fish in this stretch I should get on them

#12 ·
Just off the river early was nasty got wet and beet up but stayed at it a located a hungry school of small bass and had a blast totaled 20 stripes 2 cats. 17 bass landed myself and 3 fRom step pop each with a cat largest bass was21" smallest 14" left them biting to.check.out a few other spots but no takers ill finish report later on way to work.
Updated: all fish were caught in 17-21 ft of water. Water was clean and clear but had 1-2 ft breakers early on and the wind against tide didn't help things after the tide began to fall the wind cut down enough to really move around and I jus used my chart and gps and got right on fish at the second of 6 spots fished. Coulda prob stay on those same fish for another hour easy they wouldn't let up but I had time limit and several spots to scout for the weekend at other locations So at 20 I tossed him back and pulled up and moved on but only small taps and one run but no hookups or fish landed. Waters averaged 49 did come across a area tht had 50 throughout the column. Marked wht looked like a big school of shad or herring near one of the ledges I scouted and if they were small bass They weren't biting. Marked alot more life on the river today weekend should bring out alot of anglers so chances r we will hear more good reports soon. Gps and nautical depth chart learn the travel habits of our river bass and u should do better than those around u.

#16 ·
Bloods r great unlit the perch move in then it's jus not worth the money as for nesshaminy from shore I'm not sure later i can look at my chart and see if i can find a really good spot for u but station ave is a popular spot I used heaviest weighs then most but 4oz bank sinkers r good and fish finder rigs r prob the most popular rig but if u use more than one rod it be beneficial to use a high low rig on one and fish finder on the other.
Catch'em up I'll be out by sunup saterday

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
**** Thts the Stripers on and off ramp from shallow to deep water and should be the prime place for Stripers if they are around they will stack up at these places this time of year and when they are on this structure they r usually willing to feed. If I could upload (I don't know how) from my phone I could send u a pic of latest chart of ur area but I do it all from my phone and I jus can't figure out how to get pics posted on here through my iPhone. The single best tool and knowledge u can possess is a good chart and the ability to read it. I'm catching fish before I even hit the river jus studying and visualizing the charts. Lol good fishing!
Wet'em if u got'em hook'em land'em tag'em and release'em if u can.

#19 ·
Another atelier day over 30 bass several over 21" up to 27" hit 7 different structure points and every spot on the chart produced. Even had 5 cats one close to 10 lbs it was 34". Actually trolled my first river bass today. Threw target live blueback herring and landed a 17" bass. Threw storm jointed soft body swim shad and landed 4 bass up to 20". One bass 16" on a cripple herring with a buck tail swing hook on the back. I'll tell u the mild winter really helped our population of bass I suspect almost all of last year young made it threw the winter no thermal shock this year. All bass were thick full bellies and looking clean and healthy. 27" bass had sea lice on him so rest assured some bass have migrated up from the bay. Waters were 50 degrees everywhere I went. Fog was a blast this morning hope to c More of tht this season. Bas were busting sown at the mouth of pennypack near the bottom of the tide I think I spooked them as I got near they shut down not tons of fish but noticable from the channel to get my attention. Things r heating up. Tomm should be even better. Prob could of landed well over 50 bass but I only kept movin around because it's only so much fun u can have reeling in 15-24 fish on med-heavy setups so I kept moving to find larger fish. Hopefully Tomm I will crack 28" found fish is every depth from 8' - 33' they r all over right now.

#20 ·
Fished the full out going tide yesterday anchored off the rancocus sand bar, bloods and clams. Had a lot of fun with shorts. The wife and i boated 46 shorts on the blood worms. We had a few better bites on the clams but nothing over 20" yet!!! heading out this morning just to use up remaining bait and try the incoming tide.:navy:

#22 ·
Saw u and the wife out there I'm the one in the small aluminum with rods everywhere lol going back out today keep at it don't get discouraged put in ur time it's still early I'm actually tired of catching rats and shorts lol. Going further south today.

#23 ·
Hey mu fish, what do you mean by "The single best tool and knowledge u can possess is a good chart and the ability to read it.". Where are therse charts? Is it a chart from say a depth finder? If its not how can i locate these charts? I live and fish from the hudson river in the Hudson Valley( Beacon, NY)

#24 ·
Slower day today still managed 17 bass but it wasnt bang Bang at any of the previous 7 spots and none of the bass were over 21". All still had fish on them but they jus werent tht active. Did see 2 really huge bass break surface and thrash around. One was def over 30 pounds right in the channel too. Was other fish jumpin outa the water up by ranacokas maybe shad idk. Water was 50-52 any day now the cows will be coming home.

NOAA charts are available online. They r contour and depth charts. Shows the outline of the bottom so u can pick out different underwater points fingers humps flats bars etc. Then u jus use ur gps and put ur boat in the most favorable position based on ur knowledge on the movements of bass and how they relate to different bottom structure in a river. Depth/fishfinder only show u a small patch and u can piece it together but the charts show u the bigger picture and using the chart helps me save time locating prime spots

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.