Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2015 Big D Fishing Reports (Post'em Here)

62K views 104 replies 19 participants last post by  BAHA MAN 
#1 ·
Fishing on the Delaware river in 2015.
Striped bass opens on the Delaware River March 1st, 2015.
Cheers to the 2015 season. Post reports here.... Photos are welcome.
See Ya out there. Catch'em up!

This 2015 fishing season is being dedicated to a very special and close friend, Godfather, and Uncle. RIP Gene Fittery Sr.

#93 ·
hi all!
I am new to the spring striper river fishing. I am closer to the Hudson than the Delaware River. The guys on the Hudson are lamenting that the season has been very slow. The avid fishermen are showing catch totals around 15% of what they caught in 2014. Some are throwing in the sponge a week or two early.

So, can anyone offer their comment on this year vs last year and if the striper run on the Delaware is still in progress and when it ends. Being a newbee, I would love some help on these questions and the following:

I am above route 80. Where is there a good ramp for launching which will put me near some stripers?

I see bunker mentioned as bait. No herring? - which seems to be the bait of choice in the Hudson north of Newburgh

I like to troll. any trollers out there who can offer suggestions on the lures to dangle, depth, speed and distance from ball

BTW - MU Fish there are A-holes everywhere. I love getting into a stream to fish for trout, serene and quiet and some guy comes along and plops (literally) 10 feet away and then says hello. Ruins the whole atmosphere. Guys like that are simply oblivious to any semblance of protocol and respect. Can you imagine J-offs like that on the road or in a supermarket?

Lastly, how about those RANGERS!!!!! (sorry Flyer fans - I am still PO'd from the last day of the 2010 season)

All the best for good fishing and namaste on the river, with or withour A-holes.

Tom P

#94 ·
hi all!
I am new to the spring striper river fishing. I am closer to the Hudson than the Delaware River. The guys on the Hudson are lamenting that the season has been very slow. The avid fishermen are showing catch totals around 15% of what they caught in 2014. Some are throwing in the sponge a week or two early.

So, can anyone offer their comment on this year vs last year and if the striper run on the Delaware is still in progress and when it ends. Being a newbee, I would love some help on these questions and the following:

I am above route 80. Where is there a good ramp for launching which will put me near some stripers?

I see bunker mentioned as bait. No herring? - which seems to be the bait of choice in the Hudson north of Newburgh

I like to troll. any trollers out there who can offer suggestions on the lures to dangle, depth, speed and distance from ball

BTW - MU Fish there are A-holes everywhere. I love getting into a stream to fish for trout, serene and quiet and some guy comes along and plops (literally) 10 feet away and then says hello. Ruins the whole atmosphere. Guys like that are simply oblivious to any semblance of protocol and respect. Can you imagine J-offs like that on the road or in a supermarket?

Lastly, how about those RANGERS!!!!! (sorry Flyer fans - I am still PO'd from the last day of the 2010 season)

All the best for good fishing and namaste on the river, with or withour A-holes.

Tom P
So......................no comment from anyone. Was it the Flyers comment or just not interested in sharing?

#96 ·
Sure has been a slow year on the river. I haven't even gone out, sure I bought a truck camper and I have been spending my weekends at island beach state park, got a 36 inch bass there Sat night, but I miss the big d. It seems like no one is posting this year so I just figured the river is slow. I really want to get out if the fishing is good. I had my best year ever last year on the big d topped of with the all nighter that me and Mu fish did ending with that amazing 56 pound cow. Let's all get a weekend together that a couple of us want to head out and help each other. 3 or 4 boats working together could be a fun outing. Anyway, I will post a pic of Saturday's catch from the beach and anyone interested in tearing up the big d together, I am game. See y'all, Chuckles

Attachments

#99 ·
Chuckles & Always the eels
Thank you both for posting. Love the beach but, if the river cooperated your chances are better since mother nature is bringing them up the river for the fisherman to smash them. Happy to see your efforts paid off on the beach. I like your idea of the 3 or 4 boat coop to find the fish. I will be interested next season but, little late this year. On the Hudson the diehards did go out together and it helped all. They had good catches working together. I am going to try Hudson one more time this week and probably call it done for this year.

I forgot to mention on my post to A the E, I went out once this year. Last Thursday. Launched in Newburgh and fished west side of the river for about a mile north and got 12 bass with my buddy. Nothing big, all in the 14 to 24 inch range but, lighter gear made it a blast. A the E, consider Kayak fishing the Hudson. I see postings from guys that do it, I think more north of Newburgh. Gas is cheap, bring a sleeping bag and make a weekend of it.

One last thought..................how about those Rangers!!!!

Be safe , be well

#101 ·
Hey Guys. This is my first post as I just got approved on the site today. I'm hitting the river Saturday morning for my first ever river striper trip. I have a 20 foot grady white that I normally keep in Manahawkin but right now I have it in my driveway in Moorestown because it needed a ton of work this year. It sat for 3 years and everything in the motor gummed up. It took me 6 weekends to get it straight but were ready to roll now. I'm assuming the bass fishing on the river is similar to saltwater, at least that's how I plan to approach it. If anyone has any tips or hot spots, i'm all ears. I talked to the guys at Brinkmans and I think my best chances for fish are down near the airport/Tinicum/Schuylkill area. What VHF channel do you guys chatter on?

#103 ·
Mimstrtek2
Unfortunately, I cannot help you. I did not make it to the Delaware this year. I hit the Hudson in last 1/3 of May and got 12 stripers 14 to 24 inches around the 20th. On the Hudson, it is essentially over. Last reports from the die hards were that the coloring of the fish was not distinct so they were definitely in the river for a period of time and headed back out to see. Since the migratory pattern of the fish in both rivers should be similar, I would suggest the further south in the Delaware you go, the better since they are likely headed out to sea and to NE for their summer vacation. Good luck. Glad to hear you have your boat back on H2O were it belongs.

#104 ·
Spent the whole day Saturday on the river. Started about a mile south of the Commodore barry and fished my way back north. Picked up some nice channel cats near Boeing but that was it. Not a striper to be found and got caught in a nasty down pour around 4:00. At least the boat ran like a champ. logged about 55 miles on her. Great day but no bass :-(

#105 ·
Spent the whole day Saturday on the river. Started about a mile south of the Commodore barry and fished my way back north. Picked up some nice channel cats near Boeing but that was it. Not a striper to be found and got caught in a nasty down pour around 4:00. At least the boat ran like a champ. logged about 55 miles on her. Great day but no bass :-(
well, you had a nice day. Bass would have made it nicer but, you tested your boat, got some fresh air and had some peace and calm. Sounds like a good day to me. :navy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.