Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here)

108K views 381 replies 49 participants last post by  mu fish 
#1 ·
Our river in 2012....... Post ur reports here. Wet'em if u got'em hook'em land'em.....catch'em if u can. Cheers to the 2012 spring run.

#364 ·
Got on the water yesterday by 4:15pm fished one small area until 9:30pm with live&dead chubs live/dead bluegills. Chub chubs chubs!!! Anyway had a great day 2 stripers 19" 22" in 35' of water both on live chubs. Wasn't keeping count on catfish but did photo and measure 3 (32", 33", 36") the biggest took live bluegill. In total I'd say we boated 30-40 catfish. Dead chub heads caught min. Of 3 cats per use up to 5 on one piece of bait (new personal record). It really started to feel unfair once sun started setting chubs are jus to irresistible to call what I was doing fishing it was more like I went catching. Even pop was catching fish every few minutes there for awhile (once he finally started using my chubs. All in all great summer trip on the river and didn't spend a penny on bait(best part) I was really surprised how many cats were caught on live bluegill was kinda hoping to get into a flathead but no luck. Till next time.....

#366 ·
Took the youngins out on the boat on the river first time 5&6 went out they killed catfish youngest one had a 27" his brother had to help him lift tht rod once or twice. They do it all bait cast(drop on the boat) and hooksets!!! Let the older one steer us back got back to dock they wanted to try right at the dock and I turn my back for 5 seconds the older one is lifting a 6" striper outa the water on a Lil piece of clam! His first striper he was so proud but he was like "we got hurry and put him back your gone a catch him when he's bigger thts a baby striper jus like you catch right?" lol highlight of my day! The youngest out caught the oldest and caught the biggest one. In total they got 7 catfish 1 perch And at the dock they got 1 sunfish 1 striper baby!!! I told him he's in the club now lol great pics & vids won't need'em tho this one my bad memory won't forget! Oh big zero on the hook for me 😜 I still had better time then them if it's possible.

#370 ·
Ran into my local WCO today at Stuble Lake and he showed me a disturbing photo a poaching bust from last spring. There were 100 plus stripers poached from the shore at UPS. We need to help stop these guys! If you see poaching activity - please report them to the commission. Protect our resource.

#379 ·
Hi All,
Hope everyone is surviving the winter and anticipating the spring run.
Hey Jason, I see you are keeping company with some pretty good bass fisherman. Had to laugh, you could both pass for brothers. He is intense as you are. I am officially retired now so I will have plenty of time to get out this year.
Hoping the family stays healthy so I have plenty of time to be on the water.
Is there a new site for 2015 to share stories yet?
Looking forward to a good year, hope all of you Big D fisherman are getting the itch.

John

#380 ·
I will put up a new 2015 report thread in a few weeks when it gets closer to the opener. Can't wait my last striper trip was the first week of jan. On the beach. Im planning on chasing some rats on the beach in a week or 2 to test run some gear as soon as reels are finished up at penn. Finishing up changing hooks on all my lures this week and going to start prepping the boat next weekend as well. Hasn't been much snow this year or rain for that matter and even tho there will be some thawling from iced over ponds and lakes and small streams I expect the salinity of the river to remain high this year which will push the majority of spawning bass further up river. In previous year with Higher salinity the runs pushed further up river and made for better and longer spring fishing and I'm expecting this spring run to be one of those really good years. 09' 10' and '11 were really good spawning classes so I'm hoping and expecting an increase in the number of fish in the range of 23"-28" fish this year. As far as the spawners go that's a wait and see type of thing and keeping fingers crossed that they have avoided the southern poachers and bunker boats. Well that's all for now hope everyone has been getting all there things in order so everything is ready to go come March 1st.

#381 ·
Sounds like you did the right thing with your reels. I brought one of my. Trolling reels there last year and when they had the factory up here near me I would take all our Penn reels to them. They came back better than they came out of the box new. Drags were as smooth as could be. I don't know if I will be ready by the first but it should be close.
When does the dock at Tacony go in? I may have to use Neshaminy if they are late. Thanks for getting the new 2015 report ready to go.
Maybe we can pick a radio channel so we all can share info while we are on the water. Was just a thought. Keep me posted on any news you hear on the migration. If I remember right they fish were in Delaware at Augustine Beach in April. I guess some of that warm water discharge helps to get things going.
Talk to you soon. By the way is the beach bar a dead issue now?

#382 ·
Yea beach bar is not really looking good. Still have the land it's just alot of BS with the Gov.

As for my reels yea all I have are penns so every year between 1-3 reels end up needed special attention. Usually once every other year a reel needs to go in. I put in 500 plus hours from sept-jan easily and my gear takes a beating in the surf. Not to mention back bay 100 plus hrs a year then the river 250+ hrs a year & spring surf 50+ hrs. My reels see enough action to warrent professional care.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.