On the dawn of a new season - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 02-07-2010, 10:21 PM
Official Member
Pro Staff

Default On the dawn of a new season

With the hudson season opening up in 35 days it would be a good time to reflect on the things that will make this upcoming season special
first putting aside all the usaul preparation, getting your gear ready, checking your logs ect, it would be a good time to reflect on an important part of your fishing experience
other people
as nice as it would be to catch that bass of a lifetime, you will ultimatly be remembered for the way you treat others
help a kid, one time fishing an inlet i hooked a skate and handed the rod to a kid and watched as he fought the fish in and landed it, it was just a trash fish to me but it was a thrill for him.
Another time i was fishing and a spanish gent was catching bass carefully measuring them, and returning them as they were just short. I managed a keeper and gave it to him, because he was following the rules and was just trying to catch dinner, no one said anything to him about short fish, he was doing the right thing. Next time i saw him he had his family with him and came up to thank me and introduced me to his family.
Another time i was fishing a good spot that this older man always fished, day in and day out, when he showed up i gave him his spot without being asked.
I had some good fish last season, i had alot of good nights and days, but these little things are what i remember
im a firm believer in paying it forward, yeah there are people out there i wouldnt spit on if they were on fire but they are the exception not the norm.
This is a great sport we are involved in because it transcends the niches people get put into. It gives you a chance to make great friends and great memories
so good luck to all and have a successful and safe season, and most of all try to be civil to others
mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 06:10 AM
First Mate

Default Re: On the dawn of a new season

Nice post.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:58 AM
Official Member

Well said, and a excellent reminder on how we should conduct ourselves and be a sportsman instead of a slouch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2010, 09:35 AM
Striper Hunter

+1!!!! some of the nicest people i know i have met while fishing. i have also noticed that a little kindness always seems to come back to me tenfold when im out there fishing...
Old 02-09-2010, 12:29 PM

Nice Post! I second that.
Old 02-09-2010, 03:53 PM
Official Member
Pro Staff

i also would like to say that i am a member of several other sites as well as being a member of libba msa and hrfa. i dont think that people realize how good a site this is, you have people on here that really know thier stuff and take the time to reach out without being judgemental or sarcastic.
keep up the good work and remember people DONT SPOT BURN the space you crowd may be yours
mike
Old 02-09-2010, 10:44 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyreef View Post
first putting aside all the usaul preparation, getting your gear ready, checking your logs ect, it would be a good time to reflect on an important part of your fishing experience

as nice as it would be to catch that bass of a lifetime, you will ultimatly be remembered for the way you treat others
help a kid, one time fishing an inlet i hooked a skate and handed the rod to a kid and watched as he fought the fish in and landed it, it was just a trash fish to me but it was a thrill for him.
Great stuff Mikey. Sometimes we think taking kids fishing is all about getting them a bass. If they're pretty young, half the time they're just happy to be out there.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:16 PM
Official Member

I tip my hat to you mikeyreef
Old 02-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Striper Hunter

Thumbs up Re: On the dawn of a new season

great post especially about the spanish gent.there are too many pseudo sportsman who may practice catch/release & then turn around & fish for stripers out of season on the theory it's ok because they always throw them back & besides how can anyone prove they were targeting stripers in the 1st place.i've actually seen some of these clowns actually tagging fish out of season(i guess it gives them a "i'm doing something good feeling")..a definite RIGHT ON about the kids since all they want is to catch fish the type & size not being very important but it gives them something that will eventually give them a lifetime of pleasure! 3/16/2010 let the countdown begin!!!!
Old 02-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Official Member
Pro Staff

hey bb thanks for the kudos, but i am one of those guys who fishes for bass out of season. i personally dont see anything wrong with it and it is completely legal. i have never gut hooked a fish out of season ( yes i have been lucky there) and am careful returning them, and actually have found them to recover well in the cold weather.
as for tagging whats wrong with that that is information that helps assess stocks and migration.
see i have my beliefs also but honestly too many people push thier agenda on other people. i wish i had a dollar for every time i heard a surf guy say boat fish dont count, or what kind of skill does it take to use bait.
its fishing people, and the way you enjoy it is as personal as anything else you enjoy doing.
unfortunatly cabin fever drives me to my computer and i will start fishing hard in about 2 weeks. thats 2 weeks before the season opens. i fish north shore beginning of april. alot of big name surf guys start fishing end of march.
so if you only fish mar 16- dec 16 all power to you and i respect that. its not against the law to fish for bass out of season, its only against the law to keep them.
have a great season, may you land that fish of a lifetime
mike