Best Baitrunner Reel - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Reels and Reel Maintenance
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Reels and Reel Maintenance Reel Maintenance and schematics - Discussion on spinning and conventional fishing reels - teardowns and hard to find parts

Old 10-15-2004, 10:55 PM
Lunker

Default Best Baitrunner Reel

The Shimano 4500b bait-runner series is just a great all round spinning reel. It has bait runner and drag adjustment for the bait runner for all you eel crazies like me. I previously owned the Penn Captiva AL6000 bait-runner series and it was very disapointing...broke while i had a 28 incher on the line...(baitrunner wouldn't turn off) I had to reel in by hand...the bail also basically fell apart in my hand. But I replaced it with the shimano and it has definitely withstood the test and then...(caught about 20 stripers on it this past month.) Not only for eels and stuff but i use for trolling (sometimes) and some deep sea...just love it! Definitely some fun times ahead with it. Highly recommend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2004, 12:26 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

I agree on the Penn Captiva. I think the drag is rubbish on those reels.

Old 10-16-2004, 04:37 PM

My Dad uses that same shimano baitrunner, it works great. The only prob. we have had with it is that the bail came apart, just hafta fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2004, 07:07 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

I use Okuma Epixor EB's, and havent had much of a problem. But I generally dont beat em like I do my other reels. But I can say I have had a friend who's Epixor EB (EB50 or sumthin) had a bail problem. It was an earlier model, but the bail would close on cast and you'd hear what sounded like a gunshot when the line snapped and his new lure went flying lol. He lost quite a few new lures at the Honey Hole this Spring lol

Old 10-18-2004, 08:28 PM

Live liner 5600 is sweeet for eels.
You can reel in the eel with the bait drag, letem run when he takes, then flip it to the fighting drag when you're ready to set the hook.
Old 10-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Lunker

That truely is the greatest feeling in the world! Is that the penn live liner?
Old 10-19-2004, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackD818
That truely is the greatest feeling in the world! Is that the penn live liner?
Oh yes it is. That bait drag literally is music to my ears.
Yes that's the penn
Old 09-27-2009, 05:55 PM

Default Re: Best Baitrunner Reel

I have a shimano 4500 baitrunner and the shaft came out of the reel while casting,can anyone tell me what could it been the reel is like a year and half old.is it worth it to get it fix or is it easy to fix can anyone reply with advice thanks.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:39 AM
First Mate

We have tried a lot of bait runners and we have put them through a lot this year we used a lot of Okumas and all the bait-runners stopped working, a few shafts bent . Penn is a no go. We are now running with the new shimano 8000 bait runners. They have handle bass up to fifty pounds and false albies and all ground fish so far this year. The 4500 are great also but they are no longer being made the 6000, 8000 etc are the new replacements
Old 09-28-2009, 05:47 PM

If the question is "what is the best baitrunner?" then the answer is the Shimano Thunnus. It's a beast, guys use it for tuna. I've got the 12000F and can skip keeper size bass across the top with it.
The negative is that it's heavy, forget plugging.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Banned

The Point has/had a Thunnus and from what I saw on that reel of his it can take some abuse....I'm sure he can tell you first hand!
Old 09-29-2009, 07:36 PM
First Mate

Point has been onboard my boat with that reel and he has boat numerous Id say more than fifty stiped bass over 30 pounds and I don't recall the number but he also landed several blue dogs in the up to 200 pounds.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:44 PM
First Mate

Same here on the penn's they suck. Shimano was a great replacement but I still don't like the secondary drag as nothing compares to a open bail and a finger on the line. I've lost many fish letting the line go clamming or eeling with the pole sitting in the holder instead of holding onto it. The saltstriker cabelas brand was a little more sensitive but again didn't last me a whole season.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Rebel View Post
Point has been onboard my boat with that reel and he has boat numerous Id say more than fifty stiped bass over 30 pounds and I don't recall the number but he also landed several blue dogs in the up to 200 pounds.
He loves that reel, I don't blame him!
Old 10-17-2009, 06:52 PM
NJstripernut

I have used Shimano and Okuma. I love the Shimano, you can keep the okuma...