Worst day of fishin evah - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

The Striper Forum All things Striper. Striped Bass Fishing Room Born on date March 11 2004.

Old 05-08-2006, 08:48 PM
Lunker

Default Worst day of fishin evah

First off,just wanted to say hello to all again,and wish everyone a great striper season....... GOOD LUCK ALL!! now to my delema... i went laker fishing at wachussett res last sat. and figured i'd bring one of my nice surf rods, you know .. just to cast a few bombs and iron out the kinks.... i actually caught a 5 pounder on the surf setup..... woopee!! we left after about 5 hours there,got back to my buddy's truck and loaded up to leave,i didn't want to leave my surf rod in the back of the truck so i broke it down and rested it on the side of the truck.... bad idea we drove off and i didn't realize it till we got back home.... see ya latah to that setup.... $190 st croix rod $140 penn live liner loded with 50 power pro... all gone man ... so that's how i'm starting my season off......i'm in mouring right now..... talk to you's guys latah.... Donnie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2006, 07:53 AM
Veteran Elite

Man that stinks,I hope you get nothing but cows this season to make up for it.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:36 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

That sucks, but you are not alone, we,ve all done it... me several times.

The most recent was 5 years ago, Myself and a few friends planed a canyon trip on the Yankee fleet in October, so I built a standup rod,using a Seeker blank, aftco roller guides and spent the time to do a nice custom diamond wrap, I paired it with a penn Intenational 50 SVW reel loaded with 50lb dacron, the trip was the trip from hell, rough seas, few fish long ride for a few small yellowfins and one albacore..

once we arrived back to port I put the rod in the overhad rack on my truck (no cap open bed) stowed my gear , said good bye to my friends and headed for home, upon my arrival home I discoverd that my new rod was missing, the rod rack wasnt locked securely and the rod had fallen out somewhere on Rt 95 between Fairhaven and Newburyport... talk about a bummer... just to add to the misery, while I was gone the marina called, the float on my bilge pump malfuntioned and my boat sank at the dock (since then I have installed another seperate bilge pump so there are two) so you can take consoleation in knowing that some of your fishing brothers feel your pain!
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2006, 09:13 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i crushed the bottom end of a nice two piece, the hollow end where the tip piece slides in, in the wifes trunk 2 seasons ago. took the family to a beach at the cape, i usually take the truck, not this time. upon packing up i stuffed the rod in the trunk, slammed it down and heard a crunch, oh yeah in the dumpsta it went. at least the reel was still useable. i can only imagine your despair. sorry dude.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus
The most recent was 5 years ago, Myself and a few friends planed a canyon trip on the Yankee fleet in October, so I built a standup rod,using a once we arrived back to port I put the rod in the overhad rack on my truck (no cap open bed) stowed my gear , said good bye to my friends and headed for home, upon my arrival home I discoverd that my new rod was missing, the rod rack wasnt locked securely and the rod had fallen out somewhere on Rt 95 between Fairhaven and Newburyport... talk about a bummer... just to add to the misery, while I was gone the marina called, the float on my bilge pump malfuntioned and my boat sank at the dock (since then I have installed another seperate bilge pump so there are two) so you can take consoleation in knowing that some of your fishing brothers feel your pain!
Wow Roc some lucky SOB found about a grand on Rt 95.

I hope your boat wasn't a total loss.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:19 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

I figure the set up got smashed to pieces, I would rather someone find it.... the boat was OK the motor was just above water,I put in a new set of batteries and rewired it in the spring....
Old 05-09-2006, 01:17 PM
Veteran

I hate storys like that. We all do it ,that what makes us smarter. We learn from our mistakes.
Old 05-09-2006, 02:01 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

some of us learn from our mistakes, some of us just make different ones :)
Old 05-09-2006, 02:12 PM
First Mate

This past sunday...

Prop - $120
Cell Phone - $150 (plus I have to upgrade my service plan for $10 month to get a new phone, can you believe that crap!)
Lure - $10.95

Normally loosing 1 lure wouldn't bum me out, but combine with everything else and no fish.. bleh. The prop I nailed on an unmarked obstruction in the middle of the river (6 feet of water in an area I have been to many times). I forgot the phone was in my knee pocket when I wade into the water to help my wife trailer the boat.

I caught two little ones lastnight, so that helped cheer me up.
Old 05-09-2006, 03:06 PM

phone insurance ? [ dropped mine while wading ! ]

only users lose plugs , only one positive thing for it MORE PLUGS !! imho

props e shit happens !
Old 05-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Lunker

i knew i wouldn't be alone on this one.. thanx guys....i'll be getting another setup soon to replace it.... i did manage to get into my first stripers of the season last night,so i feel a little better now.. just schoolies but plenty of em....
Old 05-11-2006, 08:56 AM
Lunker

I feel your pain. I drove over a brand new St. Croix Tide Master last year.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:49 PM
Lunker

I'm going on to cabella's in a few to get a new setup.. i'm thinkin about upgrading ... i just gotta keep it hush from the wife :)
Old 05-13-2006, 12:22 AM

Same story different ending...

A few summers ago my 13 year old son and his cousin wanted to fish off the State Pier in Matunuck RI. They grabbed two spinning rods off the boat around 2 PM. Fished for an hour and went swimming.

At dinner I asked if they put the rods back on the boat. Two ashen faces.
Two custom rods, two Shimano 3500 Reels, one full tackle box.

We took a walk down to the pier after dinner around 7PM. Sitting right where they were left were the rods, bait and tackle box. Surrounded by guys fishing but never touched.

Gotta love Rhode Island.

My advice, post a note at that fishing site and hope for a happy ending.

Like fishing, if you don't try, you'll never get one.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:27 AM
I had a BLAST!

Location: I'm from Manhattan, live in Ct, & my heart is in SOCO

It's a tough eyeopener when it hits you in the pocket. What else can you say. I think most of us had lost something, broke something when our awareness was down. Take care my friend.