Water Temp Question.. - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 05-24-2011, 05:19 PM
Official Member

Default Water Temp Question..

Hey all,
So, if you cant tell, im still extremely new to striper fishing. Only been out a few times this season. This is also only my second posts on here. I've learned alot from reading around on here. One question though. At what water temp do they go down deep, and then when do they come back up? In other words, when do you all stop fishing for them, and then when do you start up again?

Hope that makes sence, haha.
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 05:33 PM
Striper Hunter

Default Re: Water Temp Question..

They don't go down deep they go back to sea, usually after spawning , unless the herring are still around, then they follow them back to sea.

Some small may stay in the river.

Spawn is usually ca. 60 oF
Old 05-24-2011, 05:43 PM
Official Member

Thats what i thought, but some guy i got talking to at a local bait shop (not an owner/worker, just anothet guy buying bait), said they stay in the hudson all summer, but go down to deeper water when it warms up. haha.

So, what your saying is generally around 60 degrees they return to sea? And then they comeback around october, when the water cools down again, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2011, 05:36 AM
Senior Member Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pok.ColtsFan View Post
Thats what i thought, but some guy i got talking to at a local bait shop (not an owner/worker, just anothet guy buying bait), said they stay in the hudson all summer, but go down to deeper water when it warms up. haha.

So, what your saying is generally around 60 degrees they return to sea? And then they comeback around october, when the water cools down again, correct?

what part of the hudson are you talking about?

the fish don't come back in october ..... i believe some juveniles winter near croton and there are schoolies, and a few bigger fish, around all year.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:09 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pok.ColtsFan View Post
Thats what i thought, but some guy i got talking
Not in the Hudson...that is more like what happens in Maine! In the summer, most stripers are in coastal areas where they can find cool enough water, and in Maine, they are also in the rivers. When they migrate out in the Fall, they are on a feeding binge, and can be caught as they exit the rivers and move down the coast.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:25 PM
Official Member

Jeez, this guy in the bait really did NOT know what he was talking about then. haha.

So far i've only fished around cold spring and beacon, but i plan on going anywhere between croton and newburgh.

Thanks for the replies. Basicly, you're saying there's only a little while left to fish the hudson, and then they'll be back to sea, except some smaller ones, and straglers?