Virginia record DQ'd When is a record not a record? - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > The Striper Forum > Record Striped bass
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Record Striped bass Record striped bass and the stories and other information

Old 03-05-2005, 01:55 PM

Default When is a record not a record?

Alvin Wimbrough had caught a huge striped bass Friday just south of Sandbridge. The fish was weighed at Long Bay Pointe Bait and Tackle and tipped the scales at 66 pounds, 8 ounces. That easily tops the current state record of 63-8, caught in January by Paul Kleckner of Greenbackville, Va.
But Wimbroughs fish has been disqualified as a pending state record. Wimbrough, of Virginia Beach, holds a state hook-and-line commercial fishing license. Rules for the Virginia Saltwater Fishing Tournament, which oversees state records and presents awards for significant catches, prohibit commercial hook-and-line fishermen from participating in the program.
But Wimbrough said he has a tournament release citation hanging on his wall.
It could be that he does,said Claude Bain, director of the awards program. Some of these things slip through the cracks. But a state record is not going to slip through any crack.
Bain said the tournament committee has been adamant about the rule.
We cant get into the mind of a commercial fisherman when they go out on a trip,Bain said. The rule was designed to prevent one from going out, catching a big fish and then saying that they werent commercial fishing. More often than not, the trip started as a commercial trip.
Bain does not dispute the intent of Wimbroughs outing Friday but said rules are rules.
Wimbrough, 41, was fishing with a group of friends on the charter boat Fishing Fever with Capt. Paul Ewing. Wimbrough has chartered Ewings services in the past.
This was a charter trip, Wimbrough said. Since I got my citation from last year, I never thought it would be a problem.
Ewing and Wimbrough said they plan to fight the ruling.
Im a charter captain and this was a charter trip,Ewing said. We fish hard like every other recreational charter. His commercial status has nothing to do with this trip or this boat.
Well fight this for as long as the day is long.

Lee Tolliver Virginia Pilot

When is a a record not a record?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2005, 05:48 PM

Great post jim
Old 03-08-2005, 06:02 PM

I agree with the Commercial rule...

...but...

On one hand...it was a charter, not a commercial trip...but again, it could have been...

...I don't know how I feel... :?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2005, 07:18 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

A catch is a catch,the man got it with a rod and reel,that ought to count for something..... If it were caught in a net that would be understandable...but again rules is rules!
Old 03-09-2005, 06:04 PM
Veteran

I second that Roc
Old 03-30-2005, 06:23 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Oh man thats gutta suck. But tha rules are there for a reason I suppose.

"No wreckid fa you".

Old 03-30-2005, 07:48 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

It does suck that the record was disqualified,but,he still has the satisfaction of knowing in his heart that HE has the biggest one,that HE,found,baited and subdued the fish,no rules or record keepers can take the feat away from him....isnt that all that really matters?
MY .02 and I could be wrong.
Old 03-30-2005, 11:27 PM

Nah....Your not wrong Roc.....

Its the feeling he has now that you'll never take away from him. The fight...The win. Rules are rules...and i'm sure he's gonna lose when he does fight it......But Kudos to him for catching what we all want to catch. I'm envious. My goal this season is to catch a monster.....but isnt that everyones goal here? When i catch her.....she goes right to the official RISAA weigh station...then i cant lose. Over 5,000 members strong with very strong political ties. I don't want to end up like EITHER of the Als.

:twisted: craig aka briggs :twisted:

aka surfcastermaster

8) MASTER OF HIS OWN DOMAIN 8)
Old 03-31-2005, 12:09 AM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccus
It does suck that the record was disqualified,but,he still has the satisfaction of knowing in his heart that HE has the biggest one,that HE,found,baited and subdued the fish,no rules or record keepers can take the feat away from him....isnt that all that realy matters?
MY .02 and I could be wrong.
Hafta agree with that as well ;)