Red Color Theory - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Surfcasting Central
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Surfcasting Central A forum for Rockhoppers, Sandmen, Beachbuggies, etc.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Official Member

Default Red Color Theory

Hey I'm new here so I thought I'd introduce myself with a little rant for ya.

I did a couple quick searches on the topic and didn't find anything on this subject-I'm sure its been covered- I didn't look that hard.

Red color theory- Red hooks/line are supposed to be invisible under water because of the Blue/green color spectrum in the water column. Okay great-you buy this? Hope not cause I'm about to trash it-here goes

I call bullshit on this theory always have-always will and here's why. One of the key factors is LIGHT> colors luminesce or emit color because of the way eyes percieve light. Colors come to life under water if you carry a flash light when you dive. Okay, I agree with all this. I disagree though, that red objects become invisible underwater-a false claim by tackle companies. Yes, objects may no longer appear red=they will loose their color (chroma) in the spectrum, but do not become negtive value in space- when you remove color, you have a gray scale from white to black. A color filtered object takes a gray scale representaion of gray percentage= A red bucktail @ 20' deep may register as 20-30% GRAY, but not invisile. Ever catch anything on a red bucktail? How did the fish strike something invisible????????????Magic??????? Red pork rind? These things will not appear red underwater but they don't disappear- They look grey. Now put grey in the water column. It absorbs light. maybe the fish see a profile or silhouette. But they see something. it ain't invisible. I catch plenty of fish on dark nights with red bucktails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2008, 08:50 PM
First Mate

Default Re: Red Color Theory

Check here...
https://www.stripers247.com/phpBB2/sh...ad.php?t=11005
Old 03-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Veteran Elite

It may not be magic. Fish are also attracted to vibration. I bridge fish with grubs and bucktails at night. With small bait that usually look like shrimp I think they are going more on the vibration(which indicates the size of the bait). Because when they are hitting I'll get them on multiple colors. Even fishing in really bad water conditions they will eat with no visibility. Books and research are great but fish don't write them. Just my 2 cents
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

red is not invisible in water. cajun red line for instance is visible until a certain depth as it has "transparent" value due to it;s construction. fish see color and in any depth it may change in value/hue/chroma/density etc but colors are perceived by the nature of the fish;s ability to distinguish them in different conditions. striped bass have a keen sense of sight when it comes to color unlike tuna or billfish as they basically only see blue/green/black. the bleeding bait hooks and bucktail/plug paint is (in good water clarity conditions) meant to fool them into seeing blood or wounds. i personally would chunk bait with a red hook and red wire (bluefish city here) on the end of my fluoro. there is something to be said for color theory beneath the water but when you hunt for food in that envoronment for survival you are gonna want to be sure of your quarry's authenticity to an extent. unless your a bluefish or fluke or other predator not giving a rats arse.

Old 03-07-2008, 02:01 AM
Veteran Elite

Again my 2 cents. Does the bass have a time to see the color of your plug. Say topwater and the 2nd the plug lands in the water it gets nailed. We have all been there. Did the fish act on the splash,vibration and size of both before taking a look at it's color? People say black or dark plugs on a dark night And I see fatties puled in on white?
Old 03-07-2008, 07:58 AM
Official Member

Zeema,
Thanks for the link-thats what I'm getting at.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:11 AM
First Mate

kind of related to this color thing
do baitfish change color at night? they seem the same to me so generally i don't subscribe to the black at night thing. when throwing artificials at night i still prefer natural bait colors. i don't know much but it seems to work for me.
on the red thing- a handful of times, not often, during the season i'll go out with my wife and kids and grandchildren and that means chunking. i had a good supply of red hooks i picked up somewhere along the way and used them for my guests figuring they would be lost anyway, but damn if they didn't tend to have better luck than me and my black laser sharpened hooks.
call it dumb luck or beginners luck, call it happenstance. just an observation.
hope this isn't too technical! lol
Old 03-07-2008, 10:59 AM

There is so much to this topic that I don't even have an opinion anymore.

See what color they want on any given night and go with it. On a night with an average amount of light I generally will try, in this order, white, black, yellow, gold, and then chartreuse. If it's really dark, can't see your hand in front of your face dark, I'll start with a few different shades of black and burple plugs. If it's bright enough to read a newspaper out there I'll start with the brightest plugs and work down to dark.
I've had full moon nights when they wanted black plugs and black as pitch nights when white jigs were the ticket - far as I'm concerned the rules only apply to what plugs you throw first, not what the bass will decide to eat.

The next night start with the same color they ate the night before and if it still works, great, if not, try another.

And that's all I have to say about that.
.Name:  Gump.jpg
Views: 667
Size:  3.3 KB

As for the red line thing, red turns to gray at about 5' depth. If red actually became invisible wouldn't all submarines be painted red ??
Old 03-07-2008, 11:29 AM
Official Member

My issue hear is with the bs about red being invisible underwater. I know red works-its just nice to see other sensible folk on the same page.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

nevah said red dissappears but the line is gonna be harder to see than mono as mono will reflect light off it more. i don;t use the red line but my opinion on what fish see is if red blood is spewing out of a fish it is recognizable to a fish in that particular depth as a color only THEY will distinguish, in other words, at 15ft a bleeding fish's blood may LOOK purple or black but it still is noticeable to the predator as the color they are accustomed to seeing at that depth. so it goes to figure that a color in a given depth with red will take on the hue/value of a wounded victim. however blood in the water is semi transparent and light reflecting off of it's color won;t be the same as a solid object which will reflect a different value but similar ~ and the movement or lack thereof would be the strike reaction or not.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

I add red to all my salted flies.
I believe!
That's my story and I'm stickin to it.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

then why not the fly in da last fly swap? hmmmmmmm?

Old 03-13-2008, 10:07 PM
Official Member

Red does not become invisible underwater, it just does not appear to be red below a certain depth. Red is the first color to 'wash out' underwater though. The order of wash out does match the spectrum. I think that's why green is such an effective color. Red fish hooks are designed for people buying the hook, not the fish.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:14 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Old 03-14-2008, 10:24 AM
First Mate

My biggest so far ( 42#) was on an 18" RED tube trolled 1 1/2/ knots 25 feet down. Made it from Roccus' intructions. Thanks again Roc.