Fly Lines - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 12-29-2007, 01:14 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

Default Fly Lines

Fly Line Memory - All fly lines have "memory" — most often seen in the form of coils when line is first stripped from a reel, especially in stiffer lines made for warmer weather and distance casting. Taking the time to stretch your line in your hands after pulling it off of the reel will improve your casting distance and make it less likely that the loops of your fly line will tangle in the water or the bottom of the boat.

Fly Line Twist Many castersunknowingly put twist in their fly lines because their backcasts are canted to one side, making a fly rod tip travel in a circle as they complete their forward cast. Bulky flies can also spin and add twist. There are two effective ways to remove fly line twist. One is simply to spin the fly line between thumb and forefinger in the opposite direction of the twist. The other is to false-cast a number of times while consciously reversing the direction of the circle made by the rod tip (e.g. overhead backcast and sidearm forward cast).
Watch Those Chemicals Keep sunscreen and bug repellent away from fly lines and flies. Most products will break down the PVC coating of fly lines, and most fish are very sensitive to smell.
Warm Weather Fly Lines When fishing in hot, tropical conditions use stiff fly lines with hard coatings designed for the heat, they will work much better than comparable freshwater lines. But don't expect these lines to perform well in cold weather, where softer coatings make a line more castable.
Sinking Fly Lines Sinking and sink-tip fly lines enable you to reach fish in fast and/or deep water where floating lines would keep your flies too high in the water column. The key number to be aware of is their sink rate, which typically ranges from 1.5 to 9.5 inches per second. The faster and deeper the water, the faster the sink rate required.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008, 03:36 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Default Re: Fly Lines

Paul when are we gonna go out and put all this theory to practice?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

no theory brother, why don;t you come to the flyfishing show sunday? i will have a couple of guys who are getting the bug and want to buy gear so i offered to take them and spare them the horror of what it would or will cost to get into the act. i usually go by myself and get what i need but the brokester is falling by the wayside as of late. kinda geared out over the holiday. but talking to gartside and just seeing the kid in the candy store effect on my face tells it all. i wish jim would come but it would bore the shit out of him as well. maybe if you pm him and bang him over the head. (not that he won;t view this thread anyway)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2008, 12:16 PM

I didnt see this thread Zim
Old 01-22-2008, 08:59 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Paul what time ,where , and how much is the show?
Old 01-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

15 bucks. somerset nj, sunday i am going. if you and jim wanna make a day of it by all means then. i will meet you guys there as i go early. i stay for most of the thing so if you wanna hook up with jim (if he even wants to go)or meet me at my house and leave from here. either way. leave at 8 or 9 am (not sure if jim will be able to go as it is rain forecast here but may be snow up by him sunday). call me

Old 01-24-2008, 08:26 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Don't think I can make it this weekend.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

no sweat, i am sick anyway so i;d be not much fun.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:37 PM
First Mate
Pro Staff

Hey Paul you want to maybe fish this weekend? Or maybe a casting clinic?
Old 03-17-2008, 11:54 PM
Old Salt
Pro Staff

working and not easter sunday. tues 25th is a good day for me but that;s it. i am shot for any time to fish. will look to get out end of month. i will pm you if anything comes up.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:03 AM
First Mate
Pro Staff

yeah keep me posted. I can do week nights if I don't have to much home work.