pix - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > Equipment & Tackle --- How To / Do It Yourself Forums > Rods And Custom Rod Building
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Rods And Custom Rod Building Discuss on fishing rods & on custom rod building here. Saltwater and freshwater Rods

Old 04-07-2007, 02:19 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Default pix

Bumped into a friend that I work with and started talking fishin. Mentioned trying my hand at plug making.
He left befor I did, but found on the front seat of the truck a few blocks of wood and a note.
"Here, try this for your plugs. It's Teak and easy to work with. Let me know if you need wood before you buy any."
Guy is a funiture maker by hobby/side buisness.
Anyways, Is Teak any good for plugs? I'm thinking the natural oils may have problems with a finish sticking?
While soaking some plugs I recieved from jimi I thought I'd just do a quick "what-if" and came up with this. (he was right, the stiff is a dream to work with!)
Now, where do I go from here? (LOL)

Last edited by FLOATSUM; 04-07-2007 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Had brain fart! sorry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2007, 07:41 PM
LunkHead

Default Re: pix

Oooooh, that looks fishy......
I see you already have it thru-drilled, so I'm thinking a lip of some sort up front, holes for belly hook and belly weight, and a dressed siwash hook on it's butt.......followed by a sunfish paint scheme.
But that's just me.....

"An Evil Barbarian with a Wrench in His Pocket......"

Old 04-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Thanks.
I was shooting for this. Guess I need to bring the belly up some(?). Just loaded the tail section with 2-45 cal roundballs. Was thinking of simply going with a tail hook only and bucktail.
Presently it's 4 3/4 L X 3/4 thick X 1 3/8 deep. Probably could knock 3/16th off the depth? And need to finish the forehead (if there's room).

But how is Teak for plug making? Any ideas?
I've a few smaller pieces and a full 10"X2"X4" I'm hoping to get a few "keepers" out of if Teak is any good. There's a couple of 2X2X2's that maybe I could get something like "eggers" from?
But I'm still studying.
I've got to get some shop tools!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2007, 02:36 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

ide put the weight just in front of the belly, just behind the head. and maybe a small amount at the tail, but i would try without weight in the tail first.
Old 04-08-2007, 11:15 AM
Grouchy old Bassturd

thanks, will do.
Old 04-08-2007, 06:47 PM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

i would also experiment, make one with weight in the tail like your original plan and when you test em see what they do. by adding the weight in the belly, or just in front of the belly the tail will want to waddle side to side "around the weight", adding a litle in the tail will "tighten" or lessen the amount of side to side waddle, that could make for a nice fast wiggle. one other thing to consider is whether or not you want it so slowly sink or sit on the surface...i assume you have no lip to put on it, thats wht i suggested to put weight in the belly, i would put enough in it so it either sinks slowly or retains neutral boyancy...sinks but sits still just below the surface. thats when the belly weight will assist in the swimming. for the surface weight in the tail should do ok...make a few and experiment, i could be completely wrong but to me thats what makes sense.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:59 AM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

Teak contains alot of silica.. be VERY carefull of breathing the dust, it is also a fairly dense wood...It dulls tools rapidly as well. It does make good darters.

As far as the oilynress , it's no worse than cedar, finish as you would a cedar plug.

Tail weighting that plug will absoilutly kill it...

plugs of that design work best with CHIN mounted weight,mid placed belly weight makes them lay on their sides...... you will have to do a few prototypes to determine the balance, consider everything, including hook size... plugs of that design are fairly fussy about balance, be sure to write down everthing.

I'll post some pictures of hand carved baby bunker I'm making for a swap tomorrow.
Old 04-09-2007, 11:25 AM
will work for stripers
Pro Staff

ide go with what roc said, his advise is more accurate than mine, hes been building forever...im just a newbie. my offerings are simply what i would try or do...rocs advise will save you time and wasted wood, his methods are already tested.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Grouchy old Bassturd

Unhappy Re: pix

"Tail weighting that plug will absoilutly kill it..."

OOOPS!
Too late now. (S)
I guess I've a reason to do more.
Think I'll save the Teak until I get a grip on what I'm doing. I've done a bit of carving before. Not plugs, but other things so that's not a problem. Getting the action and weightings will be the learning experience.
In my searchings I found where some make a rough profiled plug and drill it in a swiss cheese fashion. Then they'll add, remove, move, and carve until they get what they're looking for. Seems like a good idea. Perhaps I'll try that with some pine or spruce until I get a feel for it.
Old 04-09-2007, 12:36 PM
King of Eels
Pro Staff

No oops.. look how much you just learned... tail weighting is best reserved for surface poppers, needle fish ,some bottle plugs and certain condition specific plugs....