Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

nothing but blues in NJ :/

Tags
blues
6K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Seaclusion 
#1 ·
Weve been going out every week, at least once or twice a week now, since the beginning of may, and have yet to get a striper this spring run. we did OK in the fall, but now im frustrated.

We have a boat and generally are out in the raritan bay. Weve gone from Staten island to the reach, orchard hill, you name it, weve probably been there. we go around the hook too. We have tried clams w/ chum, bunker, and lures, and have gotten NOTHING but blues BangHead.gif

anyone else getting nothing but blues? what am i doin wrong!?

#2 ·
Are you on structure or chasing birds?

Chum, chunks?

Have you tried Bunker Spoons, jigs or Stretch 25s ??

Been to the outside at all ??

#4 ·
The boat guys are doing well in deeper water on the bass. On the beach it's a whole nuther story

My weekend was spent on the sand and went like this - Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bass Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish,Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bass Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bass, Bluefish, Bluefish,...........................................................................

None of the bass were over 30"

#6 ·
Sudsy said:
The boat guys are doing well in deeper water on the bass. On the beach it's a whole nuther story

My weekend was spent on the sand and went like this - Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bass Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish,Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bass Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bluefish, Bass, Bluefish, Bluefish,
Ok, lets see, take away all the bluefish and 2 of the bass and that's what I had to show for my beach adventure this past weekend, one short bass.
Now, from the boat, 5 of us trolled for 5 hours....I am going to give up our secret spot here....from the Shark River inlet south to the Manasquan inlet, turned around and trolled north past the SRI and all the way to north of Asbury Park, and for the 25 man/hours of trolling had.......1 bluefish. It was pathetic. No bunker, and the only sign of bait was 4 or 5 birds working where we caught the lonely bluefish.
Skunk doesn't begin to describe how bad we smelled.
Then, for extra fun, on our way back in the inlet, the Coasties invited us in for a free safety inspection! What fun! We're starving, want to go home and eat, and what happens? The lovely female Coastie who invited us in hops off their Coastie boat, heads up the ramp and into the building, and comes back with a tray piled high with fresh cheeseburgers!! They were NOT for us!!!!! She hopped back on her boat and away they went to issue some more invitations, ya know, the kind you can't refuse. Unless you like being boarded with weapons drawn.
At least we passed the inspection, without incident or arrest.

Ed

#7 ·
Now, from the boat, 5 of us trolled for 5 hours....I am going to give up our secret spot here....from the Shark River inlet south to the Manasquan inlet, turned around and trolled north past the SRI and all the way to north of Asbury Park, and for the 25 man/hours of trolling had.......
I woulda killed for a blue tonight. I went up to the rocks and trolled for an hour and a half didn't catch or read squat on the sonar, then headed down to your "spot", Ed, only I started at Asbury and worked down. I saw some Bunker but they weren't very concentrated so I couldn't snag a one.

The only saving grace was that it was an absolutely perfect evening for a cruise on the boat. thumbsup.gif

#8 ·
Hey Bunka,

I do not have my boat in this year but have been fishing the bay for about 10 from a boat. Give it a shot if you have nothing left to loose.

Go out to Flynn's Knoll. Anchor up on the top of the outgoing tide. Use clams and chum only. Fish with clams and a few bunker heads. Do not chunk with bunker - once the blues get there it is tough to find the bass.

You should get more bass that way...

Good luck.

#12 ·
wow. ive have only been out twice this year since our boat isnt in the water. rebuilding the whole transome. anyways i made a trip out early may where we landed 8 stripers up to 36" and caught over 40 bluefish. then i made a trip out this past sunday and we had 12 stripers up to 39" and about 20 bluefish. 1st trip clams did best with a few stripers on bunker chunks and last trip we didnt even try chunks because the stripeers were nailing the clams and our buddy only had chunks and could barly catch the blues. heres my 39" if the image works [/img]http://www.catfish1.com/gallery/files/452-39inch.jpg
http://www.catfish1.com/gallery/files/452-rons38.jpg and did i mention we lost two stripers even bigger? one ran 50 yards of line out and got up on the anchor rope on the same rod i caught the 39" (which only took about 30 yards of line). another fish who took out about 50 yards of line then turned in the my cousin who doesnt fish much couldnt keep up with the slack line and the fish pulled the hook. ron said this was the best season he's ever had with the stripers with about 6 fish above 36 inchs and almost all over the 28 inch range.

ill try to post pics of last years spring trip where we caught over 30 stripers and 50 blues.

#14 ·
Hi NHW welcome thanks for the pics welcome.gif

Rons 38 Incher

Dont forget to enter your pics for prizes in the stripersforever shootout in the album up on top of the board thumbsup.gif
Enjoy

#20 ·
Re: nothing but blues in NJ :/ staten island

still just blues here in Staten Island, anyone fishing from shore getting any bass? last night got 2 blues about 10lbs each, they are getting bigger though
Fished there yesterday. Saw nothing but skates coming in with the tide on the South shore, so we got some lunch and headed to a different beach to try the outgoing tide. Right before we decided to pack it up my girlfriend hooked into a 10 # blue. Her first fish bigger than a little freshwater sunny.

#21 ·
I have been consitently:cheers: catching in the reach for the last week. Set the anchor in twenty five feet off the side of channel on the staten island side. Crack whole clams and watch the tides. make sure the current is moving. The bigger fish are starting to arrive so trolling with spoons works well.

#23 ·
Was at Sandy Hook yesterday with a few friends. Blues all over the place all day. They seemed to be short biting on bunker chunks. They would hit run a little ways and would be off. The hooks seemed sharp enough. I've always been told if the hooks could scratch your finger nail then they're sharp enough, and they past that test. I've only ever seen that with bass in the local lakes. I switched over and started tossing a diamond jig with a white tail, and I hooked up about once every 3 or 4 casts for about an hour or so. Landed about half of them, some just let go couple others jumped off. Most were 3-4 #s, but had a 10-11# that followed my jig along the surface all the way in before slamming it right at the shore break.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.