Anutha jumpah.... - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > New Hampshire
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

New Hampshire New Hampshire striped bass fishing discussion & reports

Old 09-07-2005, 12:14 PM
The Poacher Poacher - I poach poachers

Default Anutha jumpah....

Man dies in plunge from Portsmouth high bridge
May be same man charged in weekend photo incident -- Updated report

By MICHAEL GOOT
Portsmouth Bureau Chief
[email protected]

Related Articles and Media
Article: Man accused of taking obscene pictures of young girls jumps from I-95 bridge

PORTSMOUTH ? A Massachusetts man plunged to his death after jumping off the Piscataqua River Bridge just before noon on Monday.

"At about 8 minutes to 12, Portsmouth police received several phone calls from drivers on the high-level bridge, advising us they just witnessed a person jump over the railing," said Police Capt. David Ferland.

The incident happened just on the New Hampshire side of the bridge that connects Portsmouth to Kittery, Maine over Interstate 95, Ferland said. Police from New Hampshire Troop A were dispatched to the scene where they spotted an abandoned vehicle located in the breakdown lane of the bridge. The Coast Guard and New Hampshire Marine Patrol responded to the area, according to a press release from state police.

U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer Tyler Scott said the New Hampshire Marine Patrol had already obtained the body by the time the Coast Guard arrived on scene.

The New Hampshire Marine Patrol recovered the man's body in the river under the bridge about 20 minutes later and transported it to a cove in Eliot, Maine, which has a dock frequently used for boat rescues, Ferland said.

The Maine Medical Examiner's Office has been notified.

State police identified the man as Harrison S. Vieira, 45, of Saugus, Mass.

Police could not say why the man jumped. New Hampshire State Trooper Robert Blonigen is handling the investigation.

Although police have not made the link, a report on the Boston Herald Web site showed that a Harrison Vieira of Saugus, also 45, was arrested on Saturday after visitors to the New England Aquarium in Boston said he was snapping digital pictures under the dress of young girls' at the Aquarium. He was charged with disorderly conduct; disseminating sexually explicit materials depicting children; annoying and accosting a person of the opposite sex; obscene matter distribution; and secret video device surveillance of partial nudity.

State police did not know whether there would be a full autopsy. It would be up the medical examiner.

Also assisting at the scene was the Portsmouth police and fire departments, Kittery police, Newington police and Maine state police.

Ferland said there are few jumpers off the bridge every year.

In 2003, a man from Norton, Mass. jumped to his death off the Piscataqua River Bridge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2005, 09:13 AM

I hate that bridge. I don't normally suffer from acrophobia but whenever I drive over that bridge, especially in my Jeep, I get this strange feeling of anxiety...I assume its acrophobia. How high is that bridge anyway?
Old 09-09-2005, 03:22 AM

Ha, thats a good question. I'm not sure how it is exactly. Tried to search for the height, but came up with nuttin. Gutta be atleast several hundred feet?

Old 09-13-2005, 02:40 PM

Uh-oh spaghettio...could be yet anutha jumpah....

http://seacoastonline.com/news/09122005/news/62450.htm

Old 10-20-2005, 05:05 PM

Old 10-20-2005, 05:31 PM
First Mate

i drive over that bridge all the time...dont get any fear but i am deathly afraid of heights...
Old 10-20-2005, 09:40 PM
Lunker

Default Whew!

The height is bad enough, but what used to make me sh#@ was the current in that river.

The word is that is is the htird strongest tidal current in the country. i got to figure this is true because it empties all of little bay and great bay through that little neck out by the Navy yard.

I don't know how you guys even navigate that thing.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:22 PM

LMAO. Nice one bait

Yup, one of the strongest tidal currents in the world I believe. 3.5 knots. It rips hahd undah tha General Sullivan bridge boy. Woowee.

Old 10-21-2005, 10:01 PM

Under the General Sullivan is definatly the worst spot! The current get nasty there, Steve and I have had a few adventures tryin to fish under that bridge.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:04 PM
First Mate

it doesnt have as much current as the merrimack does it?
Old 10-22-2005, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltstrikerkid16
it doesnt have as much current as the merrimack does it?
Oh man, tha Pissy-scataqua blows it away!

LMAO. Ya, my bro Donny Bolt has a good story fishing that rippah. Blazing Rip + bow goin' undah = Baitknife to cut tha anchor line

It's tha quickest rip I evah seen....its like goin through a time warp and screwing up the Space Time Continuum.

You go in one end by Bloody Point, and come out in Seabrook by Marky's Lobstah Pound.