Striped Bass Fishing Forums Forum banner

New boat purchase ??s

Tags
boat purchase
4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  bigboreblr 
#1 ·
Im in the market to buy a used boat and would like some advice on things to look for and more importantly what to stay away from. Im looking to buy a boat around 20-23ft and have been leaning toward a cudy cabin in striper, mako, bayliner trophy, grady white,stingray crownline. Does anyone have any opinions on these brands?

Will an outboard engine be easier and less expensive to maintain than I/O and inboad engines?

I am trying to stay away from boats with a painted bottom and that have been used mostly in salt water! Should I stay away from boats with a painted bottom?

What are some of the questions I should be asking the sellers?

Does anyone have a good mechanic that I could pay to check out the boat before I buy it? I live in Wappingers falls but am looking in a 100 mile radius so it may be tricky finding a mechanic in the same location as the boat for sale.

Thanks in advance for any information.

#2 ·
Saltwater might not be that bad. If the boat is towed to the bay and flushed when done if it's an outboard, then your fine. Bottom painted is not a bad thing. It can be a good thing, it shows the owner took care of the boat.

If it was taken care of, it doesn't matter where it was. Clean floors, looks like it was washed couple times a year.

Bayliners are lower on my list of a boat. They did take some shortcuts. But, if the baot was cared for, it probably doesn't matter.

I highly prefer 4 stroke engines. With an older boat, thats an I/O. Uusually has a passenger car derived engine in there. I highly prefer them over 2 stroke outboards. 2 strokes use atleast 30-40% more fuel. A bit bigger 110hp 4 stroke will use as much as as a smaller 50hp outboard. Modern 4 stroke outboards are the exception to that rule, but it will cost you.

I would prefer an aluminum boat over a fiberglass one. However, modenr fiberglass without wood used for structure can be a good choice. Repair soft floors on a fiberglass boat can be a good bit more work than aluminum one.

A good canopy with side windows can be just as good as a specific fishing boat.

With big boats come big bills. If your fishing a handful of times in the hudson, a 16ft deep v with a 20 inch transon and a 20+hp engine wil make you a happy camper. Add a good canopy to it. Bowriders or cabin cuddies are nice.

How many people do you fish with. I am thinking of upgrading to a bigger cabin cuddy, so I can have my wife and daughter sleep down below while I fish long after they're bored of fishing for the day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.