2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here) - Page 8 - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Delaware River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Delaware River A Forum for The Delaware River guys.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:05 AM
First Mate

Default Re: 2012 Big "D" spring fishing reports(post here)

Thanks for the advice on the gulp bloods and fish bites. I have always been a salt water guy, but since I got a boat last year and I live here I want to stick to the big d. I will try clams on my next trip out. Something else that I was wondering for all of us boats on the big d, why don't we all pick a dedicated channel on the 2 ways so when a few of us are out we can share live fishing reports. Any thoughts about that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Official Member

Was out yesterday from noon till dark. Put in at the boat ramp by Brinkmans. Heading south it was very choppy but died down a little later. We fished near the Tacony with no luck so we headed down to the Betsy Ross. Caught a small catfish and had a bite but it broke my 40 lb leader. We were using clams and bloodworms.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:09 PM
Official Member

Took my homemade canoe out this afternoon near neshaminy creek and caught 4 20+ inches...nothing over 30 yet but still a good day. Try downloading the my fishing advisor app...it tells u ur chances with certain bait, lures, depth, and areas of the river...I tried it out today and did well just using spoons...can't wait till friday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 09:20 AM
Striper Hunter

Went out on Wed. caught 2 catfish on incoming tide, going out again on Fri. good luck to all and be safe.
Old 04-05-2012, 03:17 PM
First Mate

Hey guys, where do you all get fresh clams around here. I live right by the news stations on City Line Ave. Any help would be great.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:57 PM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1129chuck View Post
Hey guys, where do you all get fresh clams around here. I live right by the news stations on City Line Ave. Any help would be great.
Brinkman's bait and tackle on Linden Ave. usually has Fresh Clams. Not sure how close that is to you, but that's the only place I know that has 'em.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:59 PM
jetinray

Got bloods and chubs see you all on the river tomorrow.

Good luck
Old 04-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Official Member

Does anyone else fish from the shore of the Delaware? Me and a friend have been out for several times this week and we've had no luck at all. We've been using bloods on a fish finder rig which I hear is a pretty good way to go. We've been fishing mostly at Station ave, which again, I hear is a good place to go.

It's getting frustrating, but I am no where near quitting - I plan on fishing all weekend and I could really use some help...

Does anyone have any suggestions on other places we should try specifically for shore fishing? (you can private message me if you don't want to "blow up" your spot)

Any suggestions for lures or other baits?

Is there anywhere to buy chubs or do I have to catch them? Also, will minnows work? I've heard of people using minnows with a floater rig.

Any and all help will truly be appreciated, I hope I can post up some pictures of a few big bass real soon!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

We got a saying on my boat.....chubs chubs chubs!
As for shore fishing the big D it comes down to right place right time and alot of luck. Not many ppl are continuously pulling in keeper bass from the shore line especially on the Pa side as most of the bass seem to travel the Nj side because there is better bottom contour suchs as flats which is one of the key spots in spring. If u can, it can't hurt, start a chum line from shore could be costly grinding up clams or bunker but sometimes it might be worth it to try. I'd stay away from bloodworms now and use clams or start experimenting with different cut baits like shad salt herring even mackerel and bunker. Extra scent in tue water alwas helps. I have chumed from the surf before and wether it made the difference or not idk but after 2 dead days the third day I chinned away for an hour and then was into fish for another hour. So could work.
So mad right now I agreed to 6 days of 10hrs shifts for 2 weeks I'll still get out sat morning and all of Sunday then gota try squeeze some trips in this week over night if the weather permits.
Herring r deff in tue river have seen them in my creek now and have eardrum several 40"+ fish caught in the river up north so it's finally time!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:50 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

For lures same as the surf but take a few seconds and look up the float-n-jig technique I think this could be productive. Target live blueback herring lure is a good lure. Bombers maybe even some bigger cripple herring lures or if it's early morning or dusk try top water gliders or poppers.
I've heard large shiners have caught bass but from wht I've heard it's usually well after the herring have pushed back out and bass r still searching the ruerfor food before they push back out. But still everythig is always worth a try until it proves unworthy of use. Big bass are opportunistic feeders to say the least & young bass r more so commacazzy style feeders. With lures it more attention on detail like presentation wise and learning to work jus a few lures and being able to work them well. Bait if not in a boat an able to chase them down it is jus for the most part pure luck of the draw on the river idk wht anyone says Thts the bottom line for fishing Pa side from shore there r not many holding or staging areas on the Pa side plain and simple at least from ross bridge to route one bridge. Gets better on Pa side the further north u go tho.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:03 AM
First Mate

Hey guys, what are chubs? I have heard of most baits, but not chubs. Thanks again for everyone's responses it is nice to get all of this great advice. Thanks again and I look forward to getting into a monster striper soon!!!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:15 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Chubs r a bait fish located in almost every single body of water (at least in southeastern Pa). To my knowledge there are 3 different types of chubs in this area: creek chubs river chubs and big eye chubs. I have a thread about them in here it is a gem of a secret I've kept under wraps for several years and put it out there this year for the ppl. They actually have a lures for striped bass called creek chubs so there must b something to using chubs for bait lol. Most chubs u can find in drainage ditches or feeder creek tht run into larger creeks. They r usually found in small pools 6"-1' deep right above places ripples form. Very spookish fish u may have walked by a small creek and saw small fish jus run for cover most likely they were chubs. The larger ones r the ones u want 6-8" and these can b hard to come by sometimes but well worth the effort. Smallest hook u got with tiny piece of earth worm. The smaller ones will form a bait ball around the hook and the bigger ones will come in a take it from them. Keep aerated at home for months. When dead cut up and put on a hook. Very successful bait on the big d for spring bass.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Striper Hunter

creek chubs are a type of baitfish for some. They also come in the form of artificial lures. Not your regular minnows. They are great for musky fishing as well
Old 04-06-2012, 12:29 PM
Striper Hunter

Heading out about 2 today. T/P bridge area. Loaded with live chubs. Sunfish. Bluegill. And chunkin trout. Getting some clams and tossing live target blue back herring lures. Gonna try to catch some white perch and cut the dorsals and toss them too. Maybee even toss an anchor at them also. Lol. Will let u all know how it goes.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:21 PM
Muuuu...Cow Chaser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger1v View Post
Heading out about 2 today. T/P bridge area. Loaded with live chubs. Sunfish. Bluegill. And chunkin trout. Getting some clams and tossing live target blue back herring lures. Gonna try to catch some white perch and cut the dorsals and toss them too. Maybee even toss an anchor at them also. Lol. Will let u all know how it goes.
Lol I love this post! Doing a Lil fishin huh? Good chit let's us know. I never really fish tht area but I've heard good reports up there throughout the years. I won't be on the river til sunup Tomm. Good fishin.