State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > East Coast Regional Forums > Hudson River
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Hudson River The mighty Hudson River reports information and Discussion

Old 03-25-2009, 12:01 AM
First Mate @ Ace Charters

Default State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes

http://www.cbs6albany.com/news/state...servation.html

Here we go again ....
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 06:19 AM
Official Member

Default Re: State DEC proposes $14 million in fee hikes

this is getting ridiculous they want all this money and do nothing in return for it, but tighten down on the laws and make it harder for everyone to hunt or fish. this state is out of control. one of my questions would have to be why would the one day license fees go down, so someone from out of state can come and fish cheaper?? who cares about them they should have to pay three times as much to hunt and fish here, they dont live here. I think that I heard about this on the icefishing site I almost want to say that they are raising everything for us by ten dollars, they are even trying to raise a hunting license for the blind man $10.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:20 PM
Reel Deep Thinker!!!

Future conversation between father and son...

"Dad can we go fishing?"

"Sorry son I can't take you fishing because I was one of the 9000 state workers Paterson laid off. So with that and the tax increases I can't afford to pay the extra $10 for a fishing license."

Paterson and the leaders of this state are a joke. They have turned this once great state into a laughing stock for the rest of the country.

It won't raise what they say because the casual sportman/woman won't pay the elevated price for something he/she will only use a couple times. And I know you hardcore guys are saying "Good more room for me." but think about it. That casual sportsman/woman may had took his/her's kid fishing and in turn that kid comes to appreciate the environment and becomes a hardcore sportsman and helps preserve the environment for future generations like we try to do. Now, what if that kid doesn't get to go fishing, he/she doesn't become a hardcore sportsman/woman that looks out for the environment but instead becomes the developer who just plowed over your favorite fishing hole to build a 200 unit condo complex because what does he/she care, they don't fish.

Well, that is how I see. I'm sure others will see it differently...
Tight Lines Mates, Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2009, 06:16 PM
First Mate

Well yes this sucks, no question. However if you think NY is a joke take a look at CA! They have blackouts because there is not enough money to keep the power on!

Just playing Devil's advocate on the visitor permits (single day permits)...I guess the logic is that if you bring people in from out of state to hunt and fish, they spend money on gas, food, supplies etc. All incremental revenue that ordinarily wouldnt come to NY. As a someone who operates a very small retail business in upstate NY I get a lot of my customers from NJ who come to hunt and fish for the day. I would say 40% a year from "tourists". Without it I wouldnt be able to stay in business, this could be the year that happens sadly.

By contrast I fish about 60 days a year (in a good year). That extra $10, although hard earned is a small price for me to pay (0.16 a trip) for something that I find so rewarding.

I think everyone hates Patterson these days, but his hands are tied until the federal gov't decides to fork over some of this bailout money they keep promising. I had to lay off one of two people working for me because the store just isnt seeing any customers last month. It was painful, it was a family member. That means the state is making less money off the sales tax we charge and now they loose the income tax of the employee I had to let go.

Its a lose-lose for everybody. I wont pretend i'm smart enough to have an answer, but I know what keeps a smile on my face and thats hooking a bass on a nice sunny day. For that I'll pay the $0.16 and hope someone smarter than me figures this out before I have to shut down my store.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Official Member

I don't think a $10 increase should concern anyone that much, If you can't afford the $10 increase then you probably wouldn't be able to afford the bait, gas, pole, reel, lures, hooks or any of the other things that nickel and dime us to death, and wouldn't be an avid out doorsman/woman anyway. My question is, is the increase going to effect the super sportsmans licence, and if so then by how much, they can't tag on $10 to each license it covers, then it would be cheaper for us to hunt in another state, and the saltwater license they want...is that going to be for all tidal water or just to the salt line of the hudson, or maybe just below the Tap?? either way it's making alot of people buy another license, as if they are the ones who are sucking the governments money dry. I think they are barking up the wrong tree going after sportsmen. If they want to add a tax on something start taxing rich people, just for being rich instead of the people who are living off the land that just so happens to fall in the state of new york. Start drug testing all the people on welfare, if they test positive, even once, stop giving them our tax money, then we'll have lots of money left over.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:07 PM
Official Member

JANUARY 13, 2009
Testimony of the New York State Conservation Council, Inc.
Presented by President Harold Palmer
Before the Environmental Conservation Committee Hearing
On the Implementation of the 2009 Environmental Conservation Budget

Good morning, Chairman, Members of the Environmental Conservation Committee, and Staff. I am pleased to present testimony relating to Governor Patersonís proposed 2009-2010 State Budget and the closing of the Reynolds Game Farm (the Pheasant Farm) and pheasant stocking program of the Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC), and its impact upon significant operational and capital programs that relate to fish and wildlife management.
The funds for the Pheasant Farm and raising of the pheasants come from the Conservation Fund. The Conservation Fund receives the majority of its money from the license fees that sportsmen pay to hunt, fish and trap in New York State. The Governor's office never consulted with sportsmen or the members of the Conservation Fund Advisory Board (CFAB) before making his decision to close the Pheasant Farm. By law, the CFAB oversees the use and spending of the Conservation Fund monies; this did not happen. DEC has offered the 9,000-plus pheasants to game bird breeders free of charge, and plans to send the remainder to be slaughtered and given to food banks. Giving them to food banks is not a bad idea, but who is paying for the processing? I have not received a reply to this question from the Governor's office. Also, since sportsmen paid for these birds, the pheasants should not be disposed of until an agreement can be worked out between the State, CFAB, and sportsmen.
The spending of sportsmen's dollars in the Conservation Fund has not been accounted for. I asked Judith Enck for a breakdown of where our money was spent. She did not have one; DEC Commissioner Grannis does not receive one, and the CFAB does not receive one. The only report available is a pie chart, which can be found in the CFAB report. If no one knows what the money is spent on, how can anyone say the Conservation Fund is in the red?
The closing of the Pheasant Farm and the pheasant program in New York State will ultimately cost millions of dollars in lost revenue for the Conservation Fund, as well as the local economies all over the state and the General Fund.
I would like to share with you a couple of economic facts about the pheasant program. According to NYS DECís 2006 small game hunter survey, pheasant hunting was one of the most popular small game hunting activities in the New York. The survey indicates that 60,000 hunters harvested 130,000 pheasants. Figuring dollars that the Conservation Fund takes in from 60,000 resident and non-resident pheasant hunters, who spend $16 and $55 for hunting licenses, respectively, adds up toapproximately $1 million. Counting all hunters who buy a hunting license that would allow them the opportunity to hunt pheasants totals over $22 million that goes into the Conservation Fund each year. These figures include everyone who buys a Small Game, Sportsman and Super Sportsman License, and come from the 2007/08 Conservation Fund Advisory Board (CFAB) report.
According to a U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USF&W) report from 2006, small game hunters spend over $600 each, per year, related to hunting small game. Most pheasant hunters spend more than that because of additional costs involved in raising dogs to hunt with. Figuring just the $600 per hunter, for 60,000 pheasant hunters, pheasant hunting adds $36 million to the local economies across New York State. Thatís $36 million that will be lost. This lost revenue would have contributed almost $3 million to the General Fund and county governments from sales taxes on these expenses.
I understand that the State will be selling the Reynolds Game Farm, possibly to Cornell, and the money will be put into the General Fund, not the Conservation Fund. If the farm was purchased with money from the Conservation Fund, any money realized from its sale should be returned to the Conservation Fund.
Pheasants are the only visual return hunters see for their license fee money. Now, with the State closing the Pheasant Farm, they will see nothing in return. There are approximately 100,000 acres open across the state for pheasant stocking and hunting; these lands could now be closed to hunting and other activities.

Proposals:
1 - Keep the pheasant program running as is and institute a pheasant stamp, with the money going into a dedicated account to raise or purchase pheasants and stock them on lands open to hunting; and continue the day-old pheasant program for 4-H youth and others. For example, 60,000 stamps @ $10 would equal $600,000.
2 - Spend Conservation Fund dollars only on game, game birds and fish that one can take when in possession of a hunting, fishing or trapping license. While we believe that it is important to improve and protect wetlands, and non-game and non-game bird species, our license fee money should not be spent on them if it means we are having our programs abolished or cut. All Conservation Fund expenses should go through CFAB (as was intended by legislation) for approval before our dollars are spent.
3 - The proposed $10 Trout and Salmon Stamp: We oppose this unless the money goes into a dedicated account for raising and stocking trout and salmon. After the Pheasant Farm closing, we no longer trust the Governorís office and Budget to keep the fish hatcheries open. The wording for the proposed stamp needs to be changed so that anglers who fish for bass, panfish or any other fish that are not trout or salmon are not required to have the stamp. The stamp should only be required by someone fishing for and in possession of trout or salmon. We would prefer that a license fee increase be implemented this year instead of a trout stamp.
4 - Instead of a trout/salmon stamp, institute a license fee increase of $10 for each of these resident licenses: fishing, small and big game, trapping, sportsman, super sportsman, and hunting. Increase non-resident fishing, hunting, trapping and super sportsman licenses by $20. This will bring in over $10 million.
5 - $19 Marine recreational fishing license: We are opposed to the way this is written. In the Governorís proposed budget, this money would all go into the Conservation Fund. We believe this is wrong, as the majority of those buying this license live in the marine district, and as such they should have some benefit from the money generated from the license. We feel that $6 from each license should go into the Conservation Fund, and the remainder should go into the marine account. There should also be a combo license for fresh and salt water at $10 more than the regular fishing license, which is $19. Create a Marine Super Sportsmenís License at $10 dollars more than the current Super Sportsmenís License. Count all who buy a combo license as saltwater anglers for the federal registry. The way this is currently proposed, an angler who fishes fresh water and the Hudson River from the Troy Dam downstream, including all waters of Long Island, would pay a total of $38 per year for two separate licenses to fish.
6 - Increase the minimum fines for fishing and hunting without a license to three times the cost of the license, and make it so they can pay the minimum to the officer by credit card at the time of citation, or by sending the money to DEC; if they want to go to court, add surcharges that would go to both the court and the Conservation Fund.
7 - The Bottle Bill: we have supported this in the past with the inclusion of non-carbonated beverage bottles. We are prepared to take a stronger stand in support of the bottle bill, if the non-refunded deposit money goes into the EPF and 2% of this money each year goes to capital improvements on the fish hatcheries and boat launches.
8 - For this budget year, keep enough money in capital spending to cover any repairs needed on the fish hatcheries to keep them operational until bottle bill money comes in, or until the economy recovers.

We strongly believe that the Conservation Fund can be made solvent with proper management of where our money is spent and a reasonable increase in all license fees. We do not see a need for the Trout and Salmon Stamp.
I would like you to note that I am available, along with the other officers of the New York State Conservation Council, to assist with issues regarding the Conservation Fund and the sportsmen/women of New York State.

sorry guys, I just found this and answered my own question. This is bull. by the sounds of this a super sportsman license with the "saltwater" license would be costing well over $100 dollars, without and dmp tags. how about a pheasant stamp??? $15 x 60,000 hunters who hunt them, = $900,000, I don't know about you guys but i might see one pheasant a year while i'm out
Old 03-25-2009, 09:48 PM
take a kid fishing

In one breath they claim they need the 14 mill for the Conservation Fund "to remain solvent."

With their next breath they say, "DEC spokesman Yancey Roy says the new fees, to take effect Oct. 1, would increase the Conservation Fund to $54 million."

I might not be the greatest mathematician, but it sounds like they don't really need 14 mill to remain solvent.
Staten Island, New York
Old 03-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Reel Deep Thinker!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seds View Post
I don't think a $10 increase should concern anyone that much, If you can't afford the $10 increase then you probably wouldn't be able to afford the bait, gas, pole, reel, lures, hooks or any of the other things that nickel and dime us to death, and wouldn't be an avid out doorsman/woman anyway. My question is, is the increase going to effect the super sportsmans licence, and if so then by how much, they can't tag on $10 to each license it covers, then it would be cheaper for us to hunt in another state, and the saltwater license they want...is that going to be for all tidal water or just to the salt line of the hudson, or maybe just below the Tap?? either way it's making alot of people buy another license, as if they are the ones who are sucking the governments money dry. I think they are barking up the wrong tree going after sportsmen. If they want to add a tax on something start taxing rich people, just for being rich instead of the people who are living off the land that just so happens to fall in the state of new york. Start drug testing all the people on welfare, if they test positive, even once, stop giving them our tax money, then we'll have lots of money left over.
It not just the $10, it is "where does it end" last year some state parks quietly raised camping fees $2 and $3 a day. That cost me an extra $40 to $60 last year. Now on top of that another $10 just for fishing license. with the economy the way it is with increasing layoffs and increasing living expenses the nickle and dime stuff you refer too is going to price some of us out of the sport and in turn put business that we support in jeopardy too.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:38 AM
Official Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seds View Post
well said, I dont have a problem paying the extra $10 but they wouldn't have to search for the money if they started targeting the rich and the people on welfare. they should make the people on welfare provide the stores with a social security # so if they try to spend our money on scratch offs, ciggarettes, or alchohol they are denied, I would like to see how much of our money they spend each year. then the rich people that live down in the city and have a house in upstate, they really get me steamed, they do provide a lot of work for me being a carpenter but they should have to pay a ton of extra tax on all the fuel they burn 5 days a week when their in the city to keep their house up here heated, and then on top of that it seems that every city person that owns property up here has a farm, witch meens that everything that they purchase is nontaxable just because they have one horse it is now agricultural property.
Old 03-27-2009, 06:56 PM

With the governor in charge it literally is the blind leading the blind.

So what Spitzer spent money on a few hookers.
This blind joker had a wife and a mistress.
Somebody ought to take him on a bus let him out in mexico and tell him hes in Port Richmond
x
Old 03-27-2009, 08:08 PM
The Artist Formerly known as Jackbass
Pro Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisdom View Post
Paterson and the leaders of this state are a joke. They have turned this once great state into a laughing stock for the rest of the country.
Ever heard of Deval Patrick? Most state governments at this point in time look like morons. They are in general looking to raise revenue and doing so through taxes or whatever means possible. Patrick is trying to increase the gas tax in MA by 20% I beleive, not too mention raising tolls on the pike. To cut back he goes and hires a fiend of his to work a job that did not exist for 8 years and pays her a paltry 175,000 per year? Mean while we in taxachusetts look for work we can't afford to drive to for less money than we made 2 years ago.

Oh yeah and we continuously vote for Barney frank who generally runs un-contested even though he was instrumental in loosening lending restrictions during the Clinton administration which triggered the economic downturn of our country.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:13 PM

http://www.obsessable.com/news/2009/...-a-single-day/
9016 tickets for cell phone use

its a complete joke.
They must have been directed to blitz the hapless working stiffs to raise revenue.
Although i do hate cell phones and driving behind a moron using one.
Old 03-28-2009, 05:45 PM
First Mate

not going to go into a debate over the increase.
The sportsman's (super etc.) will increase by $20.

If you go here http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/719.html
you can look through the Conservation Fund Advisory Board Meetings , reports , summarys and Archives it will tell you of all the projects , proposal & spendings of the DEC.
As always you can request state, local & federal information under the Freedom Of Information Act.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:33 AM
Reel Deep Thinker!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot tuna View Post
not going to go into a debate over the increase.
The sportsman's (super etc.) will increase by $20.

If you go here http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/719.html
you can look through the Conservation Fund Advisory Board Meetings , reports , summarys and Archives it will tell you of all the projects , proposal & spendings of the DEC.
As always you can request state, local & federal information under the Freedom Of Information Act.
Come on Tuna debate is fun. If you want we can just copy and paste from the other site. Just busting...cheers mate
Old 03-29-2009, 01:24 PM
Official Member

If you notice though the cost of a dmp is going to be $5 per chance so thats another $10 and if they make us get a "salt water" license to fish the hudson it's gonna be more...I say "salt water" because where i fish is just tidal, north of the salt line, which is crap because in every other aspect that anyone looks at anything above poughkeepsi (something like that) is considered fresh water....until they want to charge you to fish in it.