Beginning Equipment - Stripers247.com Forums

Striped Bass Fishing Site Map | Contact Us | Fishing Log Software | Fishing Online | Advertise
to UPLOAD: please register or login

Go Back   Stripers247.com Forums > MAIN FORUM DISCUSSION > Stripers on the Fly
Forgot Password? Register Now!!

Stripers on the Fly Discuss fly fishing for Striped Bass here. Fly tying, tips, tricks, reports, etc. Everything fly!

Old 03-15-2013, 04:08 AM
Official Member

Default Beginning Equipment

Hey all noob here. I have a Or is Clearwater 2 in a 9'9wt and 10' 8wt. Both rods have Sage 4200 reels on em as well as RIO wf salt line. Are these rods adequate for sure casting for stripers? I am just stepping into the sport so I would love to just keep using my salmon and steelhead set ups and just change line for now. Ultimately if I become addicted I will look into buying a Loomis CC PRO ONE. I am just not sure what the requirements are for surf fishing. Thanks, Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Official Member

Default Re: Beginning Equipment

Hi;use in the salt
My opinion, either rod will be fine for schoolies to keeper size. I think the clearwater is a moderate fast. As you become addicted to Stripers, you may want to get a Fast action rod, more to fight the wind. I have a couple Salmon rods that work just fine in an 8wt aand 9wt.
I also have some Sage xi2s 6,7,8wt. I use the sage 7wt most of the time. I also have an Albright xx 7wt which I use for sinking line.
In general, Saltwater rods are a little heavier with a little stiffer butt.
If your rods feel a little slow for heavier flies and wind, try putting on 1 weight less on the rod. Put 8wt line on the 9wt, might help.
As for line, Use your Salmon line. As a rule, Saltwater line really isn't that much different except for the coating. I'm sure many will disagree.
The Sage 4200 series will work fine as long as you get enough backing on it. Be sure to rince it off after use in the salt.

Good luck
Old 03-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Official Member

Default Re: Beginning Equipment

Thanks for the reply! If I end up sticking with it I will switch to Sage or Loomis. I got those CW2 for 100.00 a piece so I will use the crap out of em. I opted for the 4200 because of price point. I cannot see spending the $$$ for. 6 or 8000 for a 8wt reel.

I figure besides the salt element it should compare to a salmon steelhead element. I do agree on maximum backing also. Thanks again.